The birthplace of this striped bug is North America, where it was quietly and peacefully grazing, attracting no attention, until at the end of the 18th century it cleaned up the entire crop of potatoes in the state of Colorado. It was then that the pest got a proud American name - Colorado.
And his relatives (bugs of the species Leptinotarsa) are still peacefully eating wild species of American owls and no longer claim anything.
The Colorado potato beetle is the worst enemy of the gardeners. To our continent, to Europe, the beetle was imported several times with ships with potatoes, but it was quickly and successfully destroyed. And finally, already in the post-war 40s he managed to launch a massive attack on our fields and gardens.
Now this beetle is widespread. Able to completely destroy the planting of potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes, peppers and other nightshade. Our people neither humor nor generosity does not hold.
For otherwise, the summer residents perpetuated in bronze, diligently choosing Colorado and Medvedok from the earth, can be regarded ... And the under-picked Colorado potato beetle brazenly crawls right on the worker of the dacha, dragging a bronze scroll with an ironic inscription: “Berdyants! Feed yourself! ”
Monument to summer residents in Berdyansk. Photo from kolyaseg.livejournal.com Yes, yes, this is in Berdyansk! And in Dnepropetrovsk, on the order of the Seeds store, they produced such a positive sculpture - a monument to the Colorado potato beetle. American Leaflet rejoices that the whole of Europe and half of Asia conquered ...
Monument to the Colorado potato beetle. Photos from the website of the greatest.su Sorry, no one guessed to shove a ticket to Colorado in his paws ... On such a joyous note, let's move on to methods of dealing with this world-famous pest. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of fighting methods, but the Colorado potato beetle stubbornly crawls across the mainland, conquering all large territories. Why can't we handle it? Our summer residents, tirelessly, annually destroy millions of malicious creatures in their gardens, and they do not become less ...
Why is it so hard to fight him:
- on our mainland, unlike America, in the Colorado potato beetle almost no natural enemies - no one bothers him to multiply in incredible quantities,
- the quantities are really incredible - over the summer one female postpones from 350 to 1000 eggs (further considered already harmful to the psyche),
Colorado potato beetle larvae
- Colorado can fall into longstanding diapause - up to 3 years. This allows him to survive the hungry years, after which he is able to produce quite healthy offspring,
- wintering deep in the soil makes the beetle less accessible for chemical insecticides,
- beetle colonies are capable of committing mass flights tens of kilometers
- there is no way to spend aboutat the same time destructive procedures throughout the vast territory affected by the beetle.
Poisons against the beetle are full, but sooner or later, they all fall on our table and in our stomachs, so we will only talk about popular, environmentally friendly methods.
The most ancient method of struggle remains quite effective - manual collection of beetles and mechanical destruction of larvae.
During the collection is not recommended to crush the beetles in between rows (as people often do) - they need to be collected in a jar with a strong salt solution at the bottom.
If the potato plantation is small and you can regularly inspect the plants, your harvest will not be affected.
With large areas to manually collect the beetles is unrealistic. Then natural and available tools will come to the rescue. These methods are one of the simplest, but if you apply them regularly, alternating with each other, they are quite effective.The pollinating (dusting) of the green part of the plants and the sprinkling of the soil between the plants have proven to be excellent.
A very good effect gives dusting of potato bushes (tomatoes, eggplants) with sifted ashes. Birch is considered the most destructive, but any other shows good results :) It is recommended to do this in the morning, while the leaves are still wet from dew or after rain. Even with a single pollination (at the rate of 10 kg of ash per 1 hundred square meters), in 1-2 days, as a rule, both the larvae and adult beetles die.
Colorado potato beetle - adults and larvae. Before flowering, pollination is carried out 1 time in 2 weeks, after flowering - 1 time per month. If you also sprinkle ashes on the ground between the bushes, the effect will be maximum.
The action of the method is based on the ability of the corn particles to noticeably increase in volume when soaked. Swollen in the stomach of a beetle, cornmeal causes its death. Such dusting is also done on leaves that are wet with dew.
Dusting with cement or plaster
There are such recommendations often. Summer residents practicing this method claim that the larvae are guaranteed to die.
Sowing between rows of sawdust
It has long been noted: if you sprinkle the ground between bushes of potatoes with fresh pine (or birch) sawdust, the beetle begins to bypass the plantation side - it is sensitive to the smell of fresh wood. Before flowering, this should be done 1 time in 2 weeks, and after - once a month there are many evidences of the destructive effect of infusions (and decoctions) of various plants on adult beetles and larvae of Colorado.
Herbal infusions and decoctions will help get rid of the Colorado potato beetle. Observing the recipe proposed by experienced gardeners, it is possible to significantly reduce the number of gryazryzov on your site. option 1: 1 kg of fresh leaves (leaves and green fruits can be used) pour 10 liters of boiling water, leave under a lid for 5-7 days. Proceed.
Option 2: 300 g of scorupa and dried leaves pour 10 liters of boiling water, leave for 7 days. Strain.
1 kg of dried and crushed bark insist in 10 liters of water for 3 days. Strain.
Half of the leaf bucket pour water and boil for 15 minutes, bring the volume up to 10 liters, insist 3 days
100 g of tar in 10 liters of water. Spray 3 times a week.
0.5 kg of the flowers of the sump insist in 10 liters of water for 3 days.
Option 1: 1.5 kg of grass for 3 hours in hot water. In infusion pour 1 liter of 1.5% solution of calcium chloride.
Option 2: fill the bucket with freshly torn (or dry) plants, add water, boil for 15 minutes. The resulting decoction should be used in a concentration of 1:20 (0.5 liters of water per 10 liters of water).
Celandine - one of the remedies for the Colorado potato beetle 100 g of crushed dried roots devyasila pour boiling water, leave for 1-2 hours. The first spraying infusion is carried out when the tops reach not less than 15 cm. During the season it is recommended to spray 3 times.
300 g of raw material pour 10 liters of hot (+70 ... + 80 ° C) water (under load), insist day.
200 g of dandelion grass and 200 g of horsetail boil in 10 liters of water for 15 minutes, the product is ready immediately after cooling. Apply at a concentration of 0.5 liters of decoction to 10 liters of water.
Mix 300 g of crushed grass with 1 cup of dried ash. Pour 10 liters of hot water, insist 3 hours.
Wormwood grass is used in the fight against the Colorado potato beetle 100 g of dry pepper is boiled for 2 hours in 10 liters of water. Before spraying add 40 g of soap.
Option 1: 1 kg of crushed leaves and stepsons to insist in 10 liters of warm water for 4-5 hours, add 40 g of soap (3 tablespoons of liquid soap can be used).
Option 2: 3 kg of the ground green mass boiled in 10 liters of water for 30 minutes. Apply at a concentration of 1: 5 with an addition of 40 g of soap for every 10 liters of the prepared solution.
When using the listed herbal preparations, a number of requirements and recommendations:
- Spraying, unlike pollination (which is carried out in the presence of moisture on the leaves - on dew or after rain), it is recommended to produce in windless warm weather on a dry surface leaves.
- Herbal infusions and decoctions better to spray in evening time, because in the sun they lose their insecticidal properties much faster.
- For the best sticking to working solutions add soap (liquid or economic).
- Ready solutions desirable use within hours.
- Unused solutions and all waste that remained after their preparation, need to bury (better not even in the garden).
- Herbal solutions recommended alternate - the beetle quickly adapts to one stimulus.
- Despite the fact that all the proposed methods are environmentally friendly, wash hands after the processing of plants is necessary!
Experienced gardeners are always happy to share their original finds in the fight against Colorado beetles. These are the recipes they offer:
- if the larvae have not yet appeared, an excellent effect is given by spraying a mist of soap with ash. 10 liters of mixture - 1 bar of soap and 2-liter ash can
- Stir 1 cup of sunflower oil in 10 liters of water and spray the tops of this mixture. They say three treatments are enough to protect the plants
- a pack of dry mustard + 100 ml of 9% vinegar per 10 liters of water. Spraying such a composition well repels beetles,
- repellent "talker": 300 g of baking soda + 300 g of yeast mix in 10 liters of water. Spray 1-2 times a week,
- 100 g of urea in 10 liters of water and spray the bushes. And here is a double benefit: the protection from the larvae, and foliar feeding,
- high hilling ruins eggs and larvae located on the lower leaves of potatoes,
- effective traps - glass, plastic or tin cans, the edges of which are moistened with potato juice, and put sliced potatoes inside. Prikatat at ground level at the rate of one bank per 5 square meters. m,
- pickle sliced potato wedges in urea solution (100 g per 1 liter of water) for 2 days. By evening, decompose the poison bait in open banks on the site at the rate of 3-4 pieces per 5 square meters. m,
- Colorado potato beetle does not tolerate the neighborhood of ants. They say that within a radius of 10 m from the nest of the Colorado is not seen. So draw conclusions :)
It turns out that our American pest also goes through the “grubs” - not all the smells of our plants are to his liking! It is clear that the stranger ...
Nasturtium vs. beetle: beautiful and useful. Therefore, we suggest meeting it on our plots with “bouquets” - islands of fragrant flowers in the midst of potato and tomato plantations! To do this, you need to pick up those whose smell is most unpleasant to the beetle, then he will fly over the beds side. It:
Many gardeners sit down between the rows, along the perimeter and (or) diagonally of the section where the nightshade grow, beans, vegetable beans, onions and horseradish. Double benefit - and scare away the pests, and the harvest is given 🙂 And growing around a successful site tansy,catnip and white ash will create an additional aromatic barrier for vagrants. Of course, one should not hope that not a single pest will get to the site, but the phytoncidic barrier will certainly play its protective role, and you will have much less unwelcome guests than they planned. Unfortunately, for the majority of birds and animals, these American beetles are inedible. Eating potato and tomato leaves, which contain solanine, Coloradoes accumulate it in their bodies, becoming walking (creeping) clots of poison. Therefore, almost without natural enemies who want to eat off the poison, they feel at ease with us so ...
The only patriotic saviors who can eat Colorado larvae - ground beetles and gold eyes (from insects), yes pheasants (from birds). It is rumored that starlingspredatory bed bugs and ladybugs also joined the fight - it means there are more helpers 🙂
Adult beetles are able to eat only guinea fowl. You can teach to eat Colorado turkeys, if you add a bit of beetles pounded or rolled into bread balls from childhood. There is evidence that it is possible to bring to this the hen breed faerol.
But the results of the experiment on the schooling of young chickens to unusual food for them. Watch the video.And in the next video - a demonstration performance of the praying mantis, which in one and a half minutes completely cracks down on the beetle. Do not doubt, in natural conditions, he does it no worse :)) Give the praying mantis to each dacha! Paradoxically, but according to the statements of gardeners, the most powerful means for the destruction of the Colorado potato beetle - he himself, or rather the poison contained in the bodies of beetles and larvae. If you managed to gain 0.5 liters of a can of poisonous American plate cheeks, you need to pour them into a 10-liter container, pour water and tightly close the lid. Everything. The beetles will retreat to another world, and give the necessary toxins to the solution. On the readiness potion you signal a massive lowering of the Colorado to the bottom (before that they will float on the surface). The whole process will take from 4 to 6 days. Natural poison for beetles ready. It should be used in a concentration of 1: 2, that is, for 1 l of infusion - 2 l of water. Gardeners do not recommend “to be faithful” to sprinkle potatoes with undiluted infusion - you can burn the leaves!
A warning! Hands, this potion is still not necessary to stir, the poison is! Use rubber gloves.
The fight with the beetle in full swing. All hope for scientists: they must finally come up with a 100% remedy against this pest! For now - we drive it from our sites ourselves, experiment, exchange finds.
If you manage to find a new original tool - share your experience, and we will pass it all along our summer cottage chain! The thing is common!
Folk remedies for the Colorado potato beetle - we process the garden without
It turns out that the struggle with the Colorado potato beetle by folk methods is quite effective. We have collected for you the most popular recipes for natural products that scare away and destroy potato pests.
Fighting the Colorado potato beetle with chemical means is not always safe, especially if you process pesticides with potatoes in a plot where small children and pets walk around. In addition, poisons can accumulate in the roots, which we then eat.
Today there are various ways of dealing with the Colorado potato beetle and its larvae. But the most safe method for many years is the manual collection of insect pests and their subsequent destruction.
However, in large areas such protection of the potato from the Colorado potato beetle is laborious and ineffective.
Therefore, the easiest way during the season to handle potato planting several times using natural means.
Folk remedies are safer than chemical, but often no less effective.
Wood ash as a folk remedy for the Colorado potato beetle
Experienced gardeners know that pollinating potato bushes with sifted ash, especially birch, is very effective. In the morning, while dew has not yet dried on the leaves, or after a rain, powder the plants at the rate of 10 kg of ash per 1 hundred square meters. After 2 days, striped insects should die.
Also effective is the ash solution, which is sprayed with young potato bushes. To do this, dissolve 2 kg of ash in 10 l of water, then dissolve 1 l of solution in 10 l of water and process the resulting liquid.
Ash dusting is carried out 1 time in 2 weeks before flowering and 1 time per month after flowering. In this case, it will not be superfluous to sprinkle the soil between the rows with dry wood ash.
When planting potato tubers, it is recommended to pour a handful of ash into each well.
Instead of ashes, corn flour, cement, or gypsum can be used to dust the wet potato leaves.
300 g of wormwood grass, 8 pods of bitter pepper, 20 g of ground red pepper, 200 g of hemlock grass and garlic stalks, 1/4 of a piece of soap, pour 8-10 liters of water. Insist 12 hours, then strain and use for processing plants.
Recently, many gardeners have noted that it is very effective to use mustard against the Colorado potato beetle.
To do this, dissolve 200 g of dry mustard in 10 l of warm water, add 100 ml of 9% vinegar, and spray the potato bushes with the resulting liquid.
In this case, the leaves are processed not only from above, but also from the reverse side.
Mustard solution is effective to use only during flowering.
Rules of application of folk remedies against the Colorado potato beetle
- Spray in the morning or in the evening in windless and warm (18-22 ° C) weather on dry leaves.
Treatments repeat every 7-10 days, with the last spraying should be carried out 20 days before harvest.
Use all solutions within a few hours: natural products are not stored for a long time. Bury unused infusions and plant residues in the ground, preferably outside the site.
Colorado potato beetle larvae are particularly resistant to insecticides
Processing tubers before planting from the Colorado potato beetle
In order to prevent it, before planting, it is recommended to treat the tubers with protective agents against diseases and pests.
Potatoes can be disinfected using wood ash (1 kg per 10 liters of water) or potassium permanganate solution (1 g per 10 liters of water).
In one of these drugs you just need to dip the tubers for a few seconds.
Such an effective fight with the Colorado potato beetle will save your plants and help them give a rich harvest of healthy tubers.
Folk ways to deal with the Colorado potato beetle
This beautiful, bright beetle owes its name to the state of Colorado, where in 1859 it managed to destroy almost all the seedlings of potatoes.
The Colorado potato beetle came to Russia only in the 50s of the last century, but had already become one of the most dangerous enemies of the solanaceous cultures. Since then, the fight against it has become a constant problem, which is aggravated by the fact that the Colorado potato beetle in our area has no natural enemies.
Simple folk remedies have the advantage over the treatment of the beds with chemicals, as they are available, do not harm the seedlings and the person himself.
Methods to combat the Colorado potato beetle are divided into several types: traps, spraying herbal infusions and biological products, distracting planting and the use of plants, the smell of which does not tolerate pests.
A great way to deal with the Colorado potato beetle in the garden are traps.
They allow you to solve the problem of how to get rid of the Colorado potato beetle without harm to the tender shoots of potatoes.
- Pit traps. Before planting potatoes, in one or two weeks, dig several holes. Sprinkle earth around them with slag, wood, peat, or coal ash. Beetles, for which these substances are deadly, begin to crawl into the fossa and usually die there,
- glass jars. As traps you can use cans or glass jars with a volume of 0.5 liters. In order to attract the attention of the Colorado potato beetle, the edges are smeared with potato juice, and several pieces of potatoes are put on the bottom. Trapped insects should be destroyed as often as possible.
- bait. As a bait, potato peelings can be laid out on a plot, forming heaps of them. Pests, attracted by the delicacy, are poured with diesel fuel or kerosene and burned.
The essence of the method is to switch the attention of the Colorado potato beetle to less valuable plantations or to scare it off by planting plants, the smell of which this insect does not tolerate.
- Spring distracting landing. As soon as the soil in the garden warms up, plant a small amount of sprouted potatoes. When the beetles, attracted by the early shoots of plants, gather in the garden, they can be collected and destroyed,
- landing midsummer. In July, when the seedlings have already grown and become covered with dense foliage, plant several germinated tubers near the main beds. Young pests like fresh leaves more, so immediately crawl on them.Here, on a small square, it is much easier to fight the Colorado potato beetle,
- alternation with planting other crops. To scare away the pest, you can alternate the beds of potatoes with seedlings of beans, beans or peas. The phytohemagglyuginins contained in these plants are toxic to the Colorado potato beetle and force it to stay away from leguminous plants,
- You can also plant dill and sound garlic. Help to cope with the invasion of the beetle and planting flowers. The alternation of two or three plantings of potatoes and beds with marigolds, fragrant purple flowers of the left not only makes the garden beautiful, but also clean from adults and pest larvae.
Another effective folk remedy for the fight against the Colorado potato beetle is the use of odors that are not tolerated by these lovers of solanaceous crops.
- Onion Husk It is known that the Colorado potato beetle frightens off the smell of rotting onion peel. If you scatter it on the site, then insects will not appear there. Alternatively, the husk can be put in the hole when planting potatoes.
From onion peelings you can make an infusion, which is good to water the potato beds. To this end, the husk is poured into a bucket, and, having thoroughly taken it, is poured with water. A load should be put on top, so that light scales do not float, and insist 24 hours.
Watch a video about folk remedies in the fight against the Colorado beetle.
- Coniferous sawdust. Coniferous sawdust or bark of coniferous trees effectively discourage beetles. They can also be laid out in the hole or scattered around the site. But, using the needles as a method of combating insects, it should be remembered that it has the property of drawing nitrogen out of the soil, depleting it. Therefore, seedlings need additional bait.
One of the most reliable methods of fighting the Colorado potato beetle is spraying herbs. Apply infusions from the leaves of poplar, hemlock, burdock, honeysuckle or tobacco. To get the maximum effect from this event, you must follow certain rules:
- The solution should be fresh - it is recommended to prepare it in one, maximum three hours before use,
- be sure to add to the solution of household (liquid) soap at the rate of 20-40 grams per 10 liters.
- In cold weather, when the thermometer drops below 18 ° C,
- in the morning or in the evening, during the fall of the dew,
- in heat, in direct sunlight,
- before the rain
- on a windy day.
If necessary, the treatment is repeated a week later. Also afraid of the Colorado beetle vinegar, which burns the pest. Pouring vinegar solution on the bed, you can effectively get rid of the Colorado potato beetle.
Read about fertilizer for the garden.
And also about folk remedies in the fight against mosquitoes.
It happens that all plantings of potatoes are eaten by the X-ray beetle. The fight against it with preparations containing special bio-additives is used by experienced gardeners. They prefer a mixture of two products: “Actofit” and “Bitoxiballin”, which even affects eggs and larvae.
Colorado potato beetle larvae
Insects larvae cause great damage to plants. For the development they need a huge amount of tender potato leaves, so they are able to destroy the seedlings completely. How to deal with the larvae of the Colorado potato beetle? There are also several proven methods.
During the laying of eggs by beetles, high hilling of young seedlings of potatoes is carried out, while falling asleep at the same time the lower leaves. This method allows to reduce the number of eggs up to 80%.
If time is missed, and the larvae of the Colorado potato beetle have developed, having gone into the ground, in two to five days it is necessary to plow the beds.
This disrupts the natural development of the larvae and leads them to death.
To prevent the occurrence of the pest the following year, in the fall, after harvesting, it is necessary to dig up the beds, adding garlic or onion husks to the soil. These same methods can get rid of the Colorado potato beetle on tomatoes.
What methods to use for pest control, everyone decides for himself, but it is best to apply several at once.
The use of folk remedies in the fight against the Colorado potato beetle on potatoes, video
The Colorado potato beetle is one of the worst opponents of every gardener.
Vegetable growers process tubers and potato plants with various chemicals several times throughout the growing season, but they often fail to achieve the expected results.
Insects continue to destroy plants, and the crop from frequent spraying accumulates a lot of toxic substances. Therefore, many people prefer to use only folk remedies to protect potatoes from insects.
Complex preventive action
The fight against potato pest will be much more effective if it is carried out throughout the year, and not limited to only the growing season of the crop.
It is important to constantly create on your site adverse conditions for the development and reproduction of insects.
For each season there is a certain set of preventive actions.
Good scare pests fresh or rotted walnut leaves. In the autumn they need to be scattered throughout the site, and then dig up the garden.
Plowing the land on the eve of the cooling will allow to destroy a significant part of insects that did not have enough time to go deep enough in preparation for wintering.
Throughout the winter, the bed must be evenly scattered wood ash, which has a detrimental effect on leaf beetles and enriches the soil with useful vitamins (phosphorus, potassium).
In the spring, before the emergence of shoots, in glass jars (0.5 -1 l) you need to put a few pieces of raw potatoes or its skin.
Vessels need to be buried flush with the ground surface, evenly distributing them throughout the bed. Periodically it is necessary to check such traps and destroy pests caught in them.
It is possible to lure and collect insects by this method after harvesting.
During the growing season it is necessary to periodically inspect the tops, and in time to make manual assembly and destruction of pests.
In addition to the pests themselves, it is necessary to remove their larvae. And if the beetles on the potatoes are visible quite well, then sometimes it is not easy to detect eggs.
Insects usually debug them on the inside of the leaves.
Newborn babies are much more dangerous than old individuals. They are able to destroy a large area of plants in just one day. Therefore, it is important to prevent their occurrence as much as possible.
How to get rid of the Colorado potato beetle
It is very difficult to get rid of the Colorado potato beetle; every year, gardeners kill millions of these pests, and they do not become less.
There is a huge amount of chemicals to fight the beetle, but more often they cause more harm to humans than insects.
You ask why it is so difficult to fight him?
- On our mainland there are no natural enemies of the Colorado potato beetle, they are able to fly for tens of kilometers.
- Colorad can hibernate to 3 years, experiencing the hungry years.
- Female beetles are able to lay between 350 and 1000 eggs per season.
- Beetles hibernate deep underground, so it is difficult to get them with insecticides.
- And, perhaps most importantly, it is not possible to simultaneously treat all the areas with a beetle in order to destroy it completely.
Rules for the use of folk remedies:
Carry out the processing in dry and calm weather, preferably in the evening. Some folk remedies lose their properties in the sun.
Folk methods of struggle
The oldest and most reliable method is the manual collection of the Colorado beetles and destruction. Do not push the collected beetles directly in the garden, collect them in a container with a strong salt solution at the bottom.
But this method is good for a small part of the garden where you can constantly inspect and collect pests.
For the processing of vast areas, we will need tools and natural resources.
The simplest methods of dealing with Colorado - Sowing the ground part of the plant and the aisle with dry means. Applying means be sure to alternate between them.
Sift ash and sprinkle the bushes of potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes. It has been observed that birch ash is more damaging to beetles, but other types of ash are also good.
In the early morning, while there is dew on the leaves, or after rain sprinkle the plants. On 1 weave will go about 10 kg of ash. As a result, you will notice in 1-2 days dead larvae and adult insects.
This procedure is carried out 1 time in 2 weeks before the flowering of potatoes, then 1 time per month. You will also increase the effect of sprinkling ash on the ground between the bushes.
Stir 1 kg of powder in 10 liters of water, add 100 ml of 9% vinegar. Spray the beds with potatoes, scares the Colorado beetles.
Sprinkling between rows of sawdust
Sprinkle the soil with fresh pine or birch sawdust, it is noticed that the beetle bypasses such plantations. The Colorado potato beetle does not tolerate the smell of fresh wood. Sprinkle need 1 time in 2 weeks before flowering, after once a month.
Some gardeners claim that this method is effective, the larvae of beetles are guaranteed to die.
Herbal infusions and decoctions
Solutions from various plants detrimental effect on the beetle and its larvae. Observing the recommended proportions, you will reduce the number of pests.
Poplar - Collect the floor of a bucket of green poplar leaves, cover with water (about 5 liters to cover the leaves) and boil for 15 minutes. Then bring the volume up to 10 liters and insist 3 days. Strain and spray the potato bushes.
1 way - 1 kg of green leaves pour 10 liters of boiling water, cover and insist 5-7 days. Strain before spraying.
2 way - 300 grams of dried leaves and nutshell pour 10 liters of boiling water, to insist 7 days. Strain and spray the bushes.
Birch tar - dilute 100 g of tar in 10 liters of water. Spray 3 times a week.
1 way - 1.5 kg of green mass of plants insist for 3 hours in hot water. Add 1 liter of 1.5% solution of calcium chloride. Stir and strain before spraying.
2 way - fill the bucket with fresh or dry plants, add water and boil for 15 minutes. Before spraying, dilute the broth with water 1:20 (half a liter per 10 liters of water).
Dandelion - in 10 liters of water, mix 200 grams of dandelion grass and horsetail, boil for 15 minutes. Leave until cool. Before spraying, dilute 0.5 liters of broth with 10 liters of water with water.
Onion Husk - fill 300 scales of husk with 10 liters of hot water (80 degrees), press down the husks on top and leave to stand for 24 hours.
1 method - 300 grams of fresh chopped herbs mixed with a glass of ash and pour 10 liters of hot water. Insist 3 hours.
2 way - fill the bucket 1/3 with fresh wormwood, chopped into pieces. Pour 10 liters of hot water. Insist 3 days, strain and spray the beds.
Bitter pepper - Boil 100 grams of dry pepper in a bucket of water. When the decoction is warm, add 40 g of soap and you can spray potato bushes.
1 way - we need 500 grams of dry roots of plants, which insist in 10 liters of water for 2 days. Dilute the solution with 1x2 water, add 40 g of soap and spray the beds with potatoes.
2 way - 500 grams of tobacco dust or stems to insist in 10 liters of water for 2 days. Dilute before spraying 1x2, add 40 g of soap.
1 way - stepchildren and leaves of 1 kg to insist in 10 liters of warm water for 4-5 hours. Strain and add 40 g of soap. Spray the beds.
2 way - 3 kg of fresh tops chop, pour 10 liters of water and boil for 30 minutes. Before spraying, dilute 1x5 with water and add 40 g of soap for every 10 liters of solution.
Garlic heads and arrows will need 200 grams. Infuse in 10 liters of water for 24 hours. Add 40 g of soap and the treatment solution is ready.
Hemp - Hemp with flowers, 300 grams, boil in 5 liters of water for 10 minutes. When cool add 20 g of soap.
Recommendations and tips for spraying
- Spray in dry, calm weather; plant leaves must be dry.
- Spray the procedure in the evening
- Soap is added to the solutions for better adhesion to the leaves of plants. Use household and liquid soap.
- Be sure to use ready-made solutions within a few hours after their preparation.
- All remaining plant parts after preparation and the unused solutions themselves are best buried outside the garden.
- The Colorado potato beetle is able to quickly adapt to stimuli, therefore, solutions and decoctions alternate all the time.
- Do not forget to wash your hands after the treatment of plants is necessary!
Lure for the Colorado potato beetle
Take plastic, glass or tin cans. Dip the edges of the potato juice, put the chopped potatoes inside. Banks prikopat at ground level, you will need 1 bank per 5 m 2 plot.
Cut the potatoes into slices and pickle in the urea solution (100 g of urea diluted in 1 liter of water) for 2 days. Poisoned bait spread out in the evening along the beds of potatoes, 4 slices in 5 m 2 of the site.
Plants against the Colorado potato beetle
It turns out that the pest does not tolerate the smells of some flowering plants. The protection and prevention of the appearance of insects is the planting of fragrant flowers on the site or between beds of tomatoes and potatoes.
Most of all, the beetle has an unpleasant smell of such plants:
Night violet or mattiola two-horned
Also plant next to the nightshade - beans, legumes, spring garlic, they scare away beetles.
Hope that no pest will fall on your site, of course not worth it. But they appear much smaller than planned.
New beetle control
According to gardeners, the most powerful tool against the Colorado potato beetle is the beetle itself, or rather the poison contained in it. In the process of eating the leaves of potatoes and tomatoes, which contain solanine, its bugs accumulate in their bodies and become poisonous.
Gather a liter jar of larvae and adult insects on the floor. Pour them into a bucket of water (10 liters) and cover tightly with a lid. The beetles themselves will die by giving up toxins in the water. When you notice that the beetles have sunk to the bottom (before that they will be on the surface), the solution is ready. It will take approximately 4-6 days.
Before spraying, dilute the solution in water 1x2. All operations for stirring and spraying spend in gloves.
The fight against the Colorado potato beetle is very difficult, and everyone wants to preserve their crops. The presented folk remedies will definitely come in handy in the fight against the pest.
Share your funds in the comments, maybe they will help someone too.
Health and strength to you in the fight against the Colorado potato beetle!
Colorado potato beetle - description
The Colorado potato beetle is an insect with an oval, convex, shiny yellow-orange body 8-12 mm long, up to 7 mm wide, with five black stripes on each elytra. The beetle on the beetle has black spots, membranous wings are well developed - beetles are able to make long flights. The 15-16 cm long larva of the Colorado potato beetle has a black head and two rows of black spots on the sides. First, the body color of the larva is dark brown, but over time it becomes bright yellow or pinkish - when eating the leaves, the larvae are able to digest all pigments, except carotene, which, accumulating in the tissues, stains the bodies of the larvae in carrot color.
Colorado beetles hibernate in the soil at a depth of 20 to 50 cm, and spring out to the surface, feed on shoots, mate and lay eggs on the underside of leaf plates. During the day, one female can lay from 5 to 80, and during the season - from 300 to 1000 eggs.The larvae of the first age feed on the flesh of the leaves from the underside, the larvae of the second age destroy the entire plate, leaving only the median veins, and the larvae of the third and fourth age sprawl, often switching to other plants. After 2-3 weeks, they burrow into the soil to a depth of 10 cm and pupate, and after 10-20 days they turn into an adult and are selected to the surface or, if late autumn has already arrived, fall into diapause until spring.
The life span of the Colorado beetles is one year, but some individuals can live for two or even three years. If the bugs are in danger, they do not fly away, but fall to the ground, pretending to be dead.
Fighting the Colorado potato beetle.
The fight against the Colorado potato beetle includes agrotechnical, mechanical, biological and chemical methods. Using techniques that improve the growth and development of solanaceous plants, it is possible to increase the resistance of crops to damage and thereby complicate the living conditions of pests and reduce their numbers. It follows from the fact that the Colorado potato beetle damages, first of all, weak plants, therefore it is necessary to apply such agrotechnical methods that promote plant health:
- - choose for growing badly eaten by the beetle varieties of Solanova,
- - plant only high-quality and healthy potato tubers,
- - carry out timely and competent care for plantings.
Mechanically, beetles are destroyed when there are few of them: as soon as seedlings appear or seedlings take root, it is necessary to carefully examine not only the plants, but also the soil around them in order to detect pests in time and collect them in a jar of saturated saline or kerosene.
The safest way to fight against the Colorado potato beetle is the safest and most promising for your garden. It is based on the use of its natural enemies to the detriment of an insect - birds, microorganisms, predatory and parasitic insects.
The chemical method involves the treatment of plants with insecticides during the second age of the larvae and with the mass appearance of young beetles. But you should know that the Colorado potato beetle has a high resistance to pesticides and quickly adapts to them. Non-addictive systemic insecticides that show high efficacy in pest control for many years.
Remedies for the Colorado potato beetle.
The best chemicals against the Colorado potato beetle are such drugs:
- - Actellic (fifty percent emulsion concentrate) is a broad-spectrum insecticide that can be used no more than twice per season, diluting 15 g of the drug in 10 liters of water. Solution consumption - 1 l per 10 m² plot with solanaceous crops,
- - Arrivo (twenty-five percent emulsion concentrate) is an insecticide of even wider spectrum of action than Actellic, which is also used no more than twice during the growing season, dissolving one and a half gram of the drug in 10 liters of water. Consumption - 1 L per 10 m²,
- - Decis (twenty-five percent emulsion concentrate) is a contact action insecticide, showing high efficiency at favorable conditions with a low consumption rate. It is not washed off by rain, disintegrates in the soil, does not accumulate, interacts with other drugs. Decis, like Arrivo and Actellic, can be used no more than twice per season. The method of preparation of the solution and the consumption per m ² is the same as for the above preparations,
- - Itra-VIR (tablets) - one tablet of the drug is dissolved in a bucket of water and consumed for spraying 1 l of the composition per 10m² plot with solanaceous cultures. The treatment from the Colorado potato beetle Inta-VIR is carried out no more than twice per season,
- - Karate, Kinmiks (5% emulsion concentrates) - English insecticides. To prepare a solution in 10 liters of water, add 1 g of karate or 2 g of Kinmiks. You can use these insecticides no more than twice during the growing season,
- - Sonnet (ten percent emulsion concentrate) - American insecticide of contact action, which can be used to process solanaceous beetles from the Colorado potato beetle only once - during the period of mass appearance of larvae. In 10 l of water, 2 g of the preparation is diluted, consuming 1 l of the compound per 10 m² of plantings,
- - Sumi-Alpha (5% emulsion concentrate) - Japanese insecticide, used no more than twice per season in the form of a solution of 1.5 g of the drug in 10 liters of water. The last treatment is carried out no later than 30 days before harvest. Consumption - 1 L per 10 m²,
- - Sumicidin (20% emulsion concentrate) is another Japanese drug that can be used only twice during the growing season as a solution of 3 g of insecticide in 10 liters of water. The solution flow rate is the same as for other drugs.
- - Tsimbush (twenty-five percent emulsion concentrate) is an English drug of a wide spectrum of action, used no more than twice a season. For the working solution, 1 g of the preparation is added to a bucket of water. The expense is the same
- - Sherpa (twenty-five percent emulsion concentrate) - a French drug with the rate of consumption and formulation, like in Cymbush,
- - Prestige (suspension concentrate) - insecticide-fungicidal disinfectant for potato tubers of the firm “Bayer”. Applied Prestige and for the treatment of already sprouted Solanaceae - 100 ml of the drug is diluted in 10 liters of water,
- - Regent from the Colorado potato beetle - a universal insecticide in 1 ml ampoules. To prepare the solution in a bucket of water, dilute one ampoule of the drug.
Colorado potato beetle.
In early spring, as soon as the soil warms up, on a cloudy day, scraps of potatoes are scattered around the plot, which have lain for 24 hours in a chloroform solution. After a few days, the accumulated on the pieces of potatoes and dead beetles are collected. Thus, by the time you need to plant potatoes, you will already free the site from a certain number of beetles. It is necessary to repeat this procedure a week before the emergence of shoots and in the autumn, when the potato harvest was gathered, but the beetles had not yet gone for the winter.
The Colorado potato beetle does not tolerate the smell of rotting onion peel, therefore, when planting potatoes, it is put into each hole along with a handful of ash - on such bushes the beetle will not appear until the end of flowering, and after flowering, it will no longer cause great damage to potatoes.
A good way to protect potatoes from the Colorado potato beetle is mulching between rows with straw, which not only suppresses weeds, but also allows you to retain moisture in the soil for longer, protects potato tubers from the sun and creates a fertile environment for some species of spiders and insects that also eat the Colorado beetle - ground beetles , ladybugs and praying mantis.
Some plants that recommend planting between rows of potatoes and around the perimeter of the plot — sage, tansy, catnip, marigolds, calendula, hemp, coriander, nasturtium, and mattiol — are effective protection against the Colorado potato beetle. On such a site, the Colorado potato beetle will not fly and crawl. However, these plants should not be allowed to drop their seeds on the ground, so you need to mow or cut the flowers as soon as they open.
As for chemical means of struggle, we have described the best preparations for this. Recently, a new French remedy called the Colorado potato beetle NO has gained popularity, safe for both people and animals. The drug contains Indian oil neem. To protect the site, three treatments per season are required: the first time with an aqueous solution of the drug at a ratio of 1:40 is treated with the wells when planted tubers, the second time the potatoes are sprayed during the mass emergence of seedlings, and the third treatment is carried out two weeks after the second.
As for the Prestige preparation from the Colorado potato beetle, the use of this insecticide for dressing tubers before planting does not save the potatoes from the second wave of the Colorado potato beetle.This means that you will have to use a different preparation to treat the foliage.
Often the recommended drug Bankol does a good job of killing the beetle, but it inhibits the reproductive function of potatoes, and after being treated with this agent, you can stay the next year without planting material.
Colorado potato beetle on eggplants.
Traps are an effective way to fight the Colorado potato beetle: in early spring, as soon as the soil warms up, arrange potato peelings or potato pieces in different parts of the hill, and as soon as they accumulate pests, pour petrol over them and set them on fire. In order not to burn the beetles, you can wet the cleaning with chlorophos, but if you have already used it more than once, it will not act.
When ovaries appear on seedlings of eggplants, toxic chemicals cannot be used to fight the beetle; therefore, it remains to hide the bushes from the pest. To do this, you need plastic bottles from drinks - they cut the bottom and throat, and then put them on the plants, like covers. At this time, the beetles are lazy, do not want to fly, and creep up to the leaves along the stem, to which, if protected by plastic, it will be impossible to get close.
You can try another way: to fence off the bed with eggplants with a fence of 50 cm high polyethylene film, and since the Colorado potato beetle females hardly fly, and the males do not fly to places where there are no females, your garden bed will be protected for a while.
The mosquito net saves eggplants from beetles, from which they make caps on each bush with a stapler - the net allows light, air and moisture to pass through, but not beetles. The bottom edge of the cap is covered with earth.
Another way to scare the Colorado potato beetle from eggplants is to fill up the plot with mowed grass almost to the height of the bushes. Unusual smell will scare away beetles from eggplants.
Planted between the rows of eggplants and along the perimeter of the beds of plants, frightening off the smell of the Colorado potato beetle.
If, nevertheless, Colorado beetles on eggplants have appeared, use folk remedies to destroy them or collect beetles with your hands - chemical preparations are too toxic.
Colorado potato beetle on pepper.
The Colorado potato beetle does not appear on the bushes of sweet pepper as often as it does on potatoes, but do not underestimate the danger of its appearance: under conditions favorable to the pest, it can destroy the entire crop. In early spring, lay out the traps of potato tops or potato pieces and destroy the insects gathering in them. You should look at the emerged shoots daily and, if you find any beetles, collect them in a jar with a concentrated salt solution - the mechanical method of removing the beetles is the most laborious, but also the safest.
For the processing of pepper, use infusions and decoctions of wormwood, bitter pepper, tomato leaf, walnut and other folk remedies against the Colorado potato beetle.
Colorado potato beetle on tomatoes.
The Colorado potato beetle is the main insect threat for tomatoes. Protecting tomatoes from this pest must begin in the autumn by digging deep under the crop for this crop. In the spring, before planting the seedlings, baits of potato peelings or chopped tubers are laid out around the site in order to collect as many beetles as possible on them.
Planted tomato seedlings can be protected with cylinders of cut plastic bottles. It is possible to lay along the perimeter of the plot gutters with slopes at an angle of 45 º - this is a trap for young bugs.
Colorado beetles accumulate toxic alkaloids, which are contained in the leaves and shoots of solanaceous plants, so they are inedible for many birds and carnivorous insects. Adult beetles are eaten only by turkeys and guinea fowls, but they must be taught to such delicacy from childhood, adding a little crushed beetles to food.
The main way to combat Colorado beetles is their mechanical collection and subsequent destruction, because the use of chemicals is undesirable, besides, the beetle is highly resistant to insecticides and quickly develops immunity to them, and processing folk remedies with large pests can not give the expected results. If you use the methods of fighting the Colorado potato beetle in the complex, you will have a real chance to win this battle.
How to scare or kill the Colorado potato beetle
The pest eats not only potatoes, but also any other solanaceous:
- wild nightshade in a hopeless situation.
This circumstance will have to be considered when planting garden crops. It is not enough to process potatoes from the Colorado potato beetle, it is necessary to make sure that it does not settle on other plants.
Of the popular methods of struggle at a time when the beetle has already multiplied and entrenched in potatoes, mechanical and “self-destruction” can be applied. This means that the beetle will have to collect hands. After collecting the beetles throw them out is not necessary. There are still eggs and insects and larvae on the plants. Here you can use the collected pests against their "free" fellows:
- Collect a half-liter jar of beetles and pour them into 10 liters of water. Close the container with a lid and set to infuse until the Colorado beetles sink to the bottom. Dissolve the infusion of another 20 liters of water and spray the potatoes with this composition.
- Pour the collected beetles into a metal container and ignite on the coals to form coal. Grind the remains to a state of soot, stir in 10 liters of water and poison the beetles.
According to reviews of gardeners to remove the Colorado potato beetle from potatoes also help ordinary plastic bottles with live insects inside. For whatever reason, this method scares the Colorado potato beetle, gardeners have not yet figured out. These may be sounds made by insects. The smell is unlikely to leak out of a closed bottle. But the bugs are leaving.
There are biological methods of getting rid of an illegal migrant from America:
- Domestic bird,
- predatory insects,
- scaring plants.
The first option is ineffective, as for the destruction of the beetle representatives of the family of pheasant, birds must be taught to feed on these insects. The common myth that guinea fowls eat Colorado is just a myth. The inhabitants of the African continent do not seek to eat the emigrant from America. Colorado compatriots - turkeys, also not happy with this menu.
When hit on the beds, guinea fowls and chickens dig up and destroy all the plants, and turkeys will simply eat all the green mass. The beetle will disappear. Why does he need bare ground? But the harvest will not be.
Some predatory European insects are not averse to eating the Colorado potato beetle. This pest is eaten:
In the Krasnodar Territory, they tried to acclimatize the natural enemy of the Colorado pest - the predatory bug Perillus. But the bug did not catch on. Either he died out, or the frightened summer residents poisoned by seeing this red and black insect on potatoes and mistaking it for another pest.
The use of predators against the beetle is tempting, but not feasible, as it is necessary to completely abandon toxic chemicals. Insecticides do not care who to poison, and beneficial insects will not be able to destroy all pests. Planting herbs is much more effective.
One of the popular folk remedies for the Colorado potato beetle on potatoes. This method of removing pests from potatoes is based on scaring. The way is simple. The Colorado potato beetle is afraid or simply does not like the scent of some plants:
Some flowers are not only beautiful, but can provide the grower with homemade spices or medicines. The dual benefits of legumes, horseradish or onions are obvious.
Plants are planted between the beds of potatoes. It is necessary to guess the time of planting so that they have time to develop before the appearance of young sprouts of potatoes.
Colorado prefer to eat the young foliage and another popular recipe from the Colorado potato beetle is based on this preference: when planted potatoes rise and grow a little, they bury the old potatoes between the beds. After the tubers sprout between the rows, the Colorado will move to young and tender shoots. It is easier to collect pests from several bushes than from beds designed for harvest.
You can use the habit of beetle crawling on the smell of potatoes, preparing him a trap from a regular can. The basic requirement for this popular remedy is sufficient depth. A jar is coated with juice on the edges, and several slices of potatoes are placed on the bottom. Then bury so that the neck was flush with the ground. The pest cannot guess from the trap. Change banks every three days.
But all these options can be attributed to the exotic. It is difficult to lure insects, plants do not want to bloom during the growth of potatoes, only a small part of the population falls into the traps.
Home-made remedies for the Colorado potato beetle can both kill pests and scare away. For their production is enough conventional drugs that exist in every home gardener.
How to process potato bushes
There are many popular recipes than to poison the Colorado potato beetle on potatoes. Much of these recipes are related to herbal remedies. To get rid of the Colorado potato beetle, folk remedies use:
- hot pepper,
- tomato tops,
- onion peel,
- poplar leaves,
- white acacia bark
From the beetle apply almost the same plants that are used from other garden pests. At the same time with Colorado you can destroy aphids and caterpillars.
Tar - extract of birch bark.
The most common recipes for solutions from plant materials:
- Wormwood is used in a mixture with wood ash. A glass of ash mixed with 300 g of dry bitter wormwood and pour boiling water. Need to insist 3 hours.
- 200 g of peeled garlic cloves infused in 10 liters of water during the day. Before sprinkling the potatoes, add 40 g of soap, so that the solution is better kept on the potato tops.
- Tomatoes have two recipes. In the first kilogram of chopped tops insist in warm water. In the second 3 kg boiled in 10 liters of water. Both types of drug diluted in a ratio of 1 liter of the composition to 5 liters of water. Before use add laundry soap.
- Tobacco. 0.5 kg insist 2 days in 10 liters of water. Before spraying, add another 20 liters of water and add soap.
- Fresh mature bushes of celandine chop and fill a bucket. Pour over water and boil for 15 minutes. The resulting extract strain and dilute with water at the rate of 0.5 liters of decoction to 10 liters of water.
- 300 g of onion peel put under pressure and pour hot water. Insist 24 hours.
- Dilute 100 g of birch tar with water. The solution is sprayed with potatoes 3 times a week.
There are many more tips on how to get the Colorado potato beetle, as each gardener tries to find a 100 percent remedy for the pest.
Potato broths and infusions are carried out in the evening before evening dew falls. In rainy weather or dew bushes are not sprayed potatoes.
In addition to these funds are popular:
Tried various herbal teas down to hemp. It seemed that the grass of the parasite from America was completely indifferent. Work chemicals and manual collection. It is necessary to collect a couple of times a week and not only the larvae and adult Colorado, but also eggs, if they were found.
To destroy the Colorado potato beetle, nitrogen fertilizer is often used. When using urea, it must be remembered that nitrogen causes “fattening” of the plants, and spraying the solution with a very high concentration of fertilizer can burn the leaves. Urea from the Colorado potato beetle is bred in a 1: 1 ratio.if you want to spray the tops of the larvae. For adult pests prepare bait: a glass of urea in 2 liters of water. A kilogram of potatoes is cut into pieces and soaked for 10-12 hours in solution. After which the pieces are laid out in rows.
In my opinion, urea from the Colorado potato beetle is not very reliable. Too often need to spray potatoes. And it is washed off with dew and rain, falls into the ground and the bushes go to growth, instead of forming tubers. And if sprayed after flowering, the tubers accumulate nitrates.
Lyudmila, with. Don
Among the popular methods there is a dry dusting of potatoes on dew with sifted ashes, cement or gypsum. In reviews of folk remedies of this type, birch ash is the most effective means. For dusting take 10 kg of ash per weave landings. Colorado and larvae die 48 hours later. But dusting with ashes should be carried out twice a month before flowering. After flowering, the multiplicity is reduced by half.
Powder cementing or gypsum implies the death of pests as a result of intestinal blockage with cemented particles.
Such a wide variety of tips on how to fight the Colorado potato beetle with folk remedies suggests that it can be finally won only after the unification of the countries of Eurasia into one state and one-time processing of all potato plantations.
Features of life "Colorado"
Opponent need to know in person. Colorado beetle is very tenacious. With the arrival of cold, adults burrow into the ground to a depth of at least 70 centimeters (freezing boundary), from where they are selected in spring, when the air temperature is about 15 degrees Celsius. Pests begin their voracious way with wild plants:
As soon as the “wild” food source comes to an end, the insects move to the cultural fields. Not only potatoes fall under their scope, but also eggplants with tomatoes. However, these cultures of the Colorado potato beetle are interested only in the absence of potatoes.
Pests multiply in the same place - on the leaves of potato tops. Females lay 10-30 eggs from the bottom of the sheets, from which the larvae are born. Monthly these larvae consume 1 gram of leaves, and adult insects 4 grams each. It would seem a little, but given the fecundity of the beetle, the damage to economic lands is enormous.
Colorado beetles breed very quickly, for the season the female can lay eggs 4 times. As a result, this can lead to a complete loss of the crop.
Onions are destructive for the Colorado potato beetle. He is so afraid of him that even one smell of a root crop turns whole colonies to flight. But if the pest has already settled on the field, then by a simple “aroma” it should not be lime, use special products with onion peel.
- The three-liter jar is filled with onion peel to one third. Next, the container is filled to the brim with warm water (about 40 degrees), after which the future remedy for the Colorado potato beetle is infused for two days. After this period, 6 grams of soap is added to the infusion. Means processed potato leaves.
- A pound of onion peel is filled with boiling water (in a bucket), infused for two days, mixed with soap. The plant is sprayed with this spray gun, the beetle leaves the battlefield in horror. This tool is designed to quickly clean the field from the pest, but is not suitable for prevention.
If you want to delay the appearance of the beetle on the field until flowering, then during planting, pour a handful of husk under each bush.
Decoctions and infusions
There are many such recipes, we will announce only the most effective ones.
- Soda with vinegar. It will take 10 liters of water, 100 grams of soda and 250 ml of vinegar.
- Urea. 100 grams of urea is diluted with 10 liters of water. In addition to cleaning the beetle, this tool nourishes the plants with nitrogen.
- Bitter pepper. 100 grams of pepper is added to 10 liters of water, the mixture is boiled for two hours, after which 50 grams of laundry soap is mixed into the product. Before using the decoction you need to insist 4 days.
- Burdock. 3 kilograms of leaves poured into the trough, filled with water to the brim. The remedy is infused for 3 days.
The last resort, though effective, is extremely smelly. Do not cook it indoors, set the trough outside a little longer from the house.
All of the tools listed above are intended for spraying potatoes. The same methods consist in dusting with dry substances.
- Corn flour. Especially valuable is its property to swell up strongly upon contact with moisture. After getting into the stomach, the insect will simply burst.
- Cement. The method is also based on the ingestion of inedible substances in the stomach.
- Birch ash. It is destructive for the Colorado potato beetle, both adult insects and larvae die.
These tools are recognized as one of the most effective, but a positive result occurs only with regular use.
It is necessary to powder not only the green parts of the plant, but the soil under them!
Also a good remedy against harmful insects are ordinary sawdust. They should be scattered between the beds once every two weeks before the flowering of the plant, and once a month after. Beetles are very sensitive to the smell of fresh wood, and they do not come close to your potato field.
The first remedy for prevention is planting plants that are nasty and destructive for a beetle:
Plants need to be grown between the beds, as well as around the plot.
If the pest is still on the field, you need to cope with its larvae and eggs, to avoid further insect reproduction:
- regular hilling destroys eggs, in addition, plants are saturated with oxygen,
- when the larvae disappear from the beds, an urgent need to loosen the space between the beds - they build cocoons there, and are very vulnerable at this point in their life,
- waiting for frosts, one should carefully dig up the potato field (the larvae will be on the surface of the earth, and simply die from the cold).
Compliance with these rules will save the potato crop, freeing the plot from the overseas trustee.
The Colorado potato beetle is a garden pest that destroys potato crops. Fighting it with folk remedies has proven itself, harassing insects from the field. But if you do not take measures to prevent infection, some of the potatoes can still be lost. Many tons of yields to you!
Potato dusting protection
This old folk remedy for the Colorado potato beetle with frequent use can have quite a positive result. The scattering of tops and between rows received the second name - “dry struggle”, which includes the following methods:
- Dusting leaves with sown wood ash at the rate of 10 kg per one hundred parts. The most effective is pine and birch ash.
- Corn meal when interacting with moisture tends to increase in volume. Once in the insect's stomach, it begins to swell strongly, which causes its death.
- Well scares leaf beetles smell of fresh pine or birch sawdust scattered between the rows.
It is recommended to scatter the tops in the early morning on dew-wetted leaves or immediately after the rain. Many summer residents, in search of new solutions, use cement and gypsum plaster to protect potatoes.
It is not the amount of materials used that is decisive in dusting, but the frequency of the procedure!
Some features of the pest
In central Russia, the Colorado beetles develop in 1-3 generations. Survive the winter from 30 to 60% of adult insects, the larvae die with the onset of cold weather. After warm spring rains, when mountain ash blossoms, lilac, beetles crawl out of the ground. In some years they return to the soil for a period from a few days to a month. Beetles do not like very high temperatures or excess moisture.Insects can hide underground several times a season, so not all means of dealing with the Colorado potato beetle are effective.
The female is able to lay up to 700 eggs per season. Larvae grow and develop within a month (34 days), with good weather and an abundance of food even faster - within a fortnight. In the pupal state, the insect will stay for another week or two. Thus, for the season, the population of winter beetles may increase by 200 times.
The main crop in which the Colorado potato beetle parasitizes is potato. The development of larvae begins during the appearance of buds and flowers. It was at this time that all varieties of potatoes, regardless of their growing season, are most susceptible to damage. If the selected methods of fighting the Colorado potato beetle did not give the desired result, then insects can eat up to 45% of flowering tops, which will reduce yield by 20-30%. When destroying the tops of 80% more than 50% of the crop will be lost.
Colorado beetle. Fighting it with folk remedies
Get rid of the invasion of uninvited striped guests can be very simple folk remedies. If necessary, they are used together with "Chlorofos" - a toxic chemical permitted to combat the malicious insect. Effective options also include:
- loosening the rows, sprinkling potato shoots,
- traps for beetles in the fall,
- breeding natural enemies of pests,
- planting plants that scare the Colorado potato beetle,
- mustard or vinegar,
Folk remedies are most often opened by vegetable growers by chance, they can work in some conditions and be ineffective in others. Therefore, they should be treated with a share of criticism and not wait for 100% of the results. Ways to combat the Colorado potato beetle are varied, consider them in detail so that you can choose the most suitable.
The simplest folk remedies
- Planting germinated tubers enables the potato to avoid colonization by several generations of larvae.
- A good result in the fight with the beetle brings hilling, sprinkling the ground with potato shoots. It is necessary to spud potatoes in May - July (2-3 times). The choice of the right moment depends on the characteristics of the variety. Early potatoes should be sprinkled for the first time with a mass emergence. The middle or late variety is treated when the plants reach a height of 5-10 cm. In addition to hilling, loosening of seedlings between the rows is used, effective on light soils. Hilling will help get rid of not only the clutches of eggs, larvae, but also weeds. After the procedure, you can scatter some ash near the bushes.
- Fighting the Colorado potato beetle on potatoes will be more effective if you use onion peel. It is prepared in advance. During planting, together with the tuber, pour half a glass of wood ash and a handful of onion peel into the hole. The fact is that the Colorado potato beetle is afraid of the smell, which is formed when the husks rot. The mixture is in effect all the time, from the first shoots to the end of the flowering of potatoes. If after the beetles come from the neighbors, they will not cause much damage to the plants. For the full development of potatoes and laying a good harvest, the period from germination to completion of flowering is important. At this particular time it is necessary to save the tops from the Colorado potato beetle.
- The result is a struggle with the Colorado potato beetle vinegar, which destroys both adult beetles and larvae. Half a bottle of vinegar, 100 g of soda diluted in a bucket of water. Spray immediately.
- Peat or wood ash is an old and proven tool at hand in the fight against garden pests. When planting furrows prepared for tubers, along with organic fertilizer, it is necessary to pour ashes. The beetle does not like potatoes grown on wood ash, and the soil, “flavored” with ash. Potatoes during flowering pollinate with ash (through a sieve). Weave requires 10 kg of ash. It is best to treat it with dew or after rain, up to 4 times per summer every fortnight.Effective against the Colorado potato beetle with mustard.
- When the tops grow to 15 cm, spray it with an extract of ash and soap. 10 liters of water per kilogram of ash boil a quarter of an hour. Broth insist 48 hours, filter. 40 grams of household soap rubbed on a grate and thrown into the solution, mix, pour in another 10 liters of water. Sprinkle the plants until the larvae appear.
How to trap a beetle?
Effective folk ways to deal with the Colorado potato beetle - traps. If the soil is ripe, you can make them in early spring. It is enough to take a couple of buckets of peel from potatoes (peelings) Waste is poured in small groups at opposite ends of the vegetable garden. As soon as a lot of pests accumulate in them, we pour it with kerosene, burn it or destroy it in another way. As another bait fit cut or crushed tubers. We leave them on the surface of the soil in the places where the potatoes are planted. Awakened after hibernation bugs crawl on them, it will remain to collect pests and destroy. This method allows you to get rid of the first broods. Lures can be wetted with Chlorofos, if you have not used it often before, as the Colorado potato beetle develops resistance to poisons.
The Colorado potato beetle, methods of struggle with which are not always effective, winters under the ground. To reduce the number of beetles, not letting them go for the winter will help traps in the fall. Two weeks before the start of the potato harvest, we cut the tops and put them in a pile. When in it pests are collected in large quantities, we set fire to the tops with beetles or destroy the pests in another way. As a spring and autumn bait, you can use cut tubers that have lain for 24 hours in the urea solution. The bait unfolds at night or in cloudy weather.
Traps are made of glass, plastic or tin cans, the edges of which are poured over the juice of potatoes. Inside you can put chopped pieces of root. Banks drop at ground level one by 5 m².
Fighting the Colorado potato beetle on potatoes is a laborious task. There are no natural enemies that destroy it in large quantities. But some insects can help fight the pest: spiders, bugs, gold-eyed and ground beetles. But the fact is that they die along with the beetles when using chemicals. Many villagers produce chickens, guinea fowls, and chickens a few hours a day in the garden. They say that three guinea fowls are enough for one garden, and they will remove all pests, first of all the larvae. In addition, Colorado beetles eat partridges and pheasants, they are not afraid of the pest poison.
Plants are enemies of the Colorado potato beetle
The list of plants that repel the Colorado potato beetle is huge. Usually they are planted in rows or islets in between the rows of potatoes. Many of them are already growing in our gardens: dill, peppermint, garlic, onions, horseradish, beans and beans. The neighborhood with beans increases the yield of potatoes. Beans and garlic contain phytohemagglutinins that the Colorado potato beetle does not like. Fighting it becomes much easier if you know which plants to use:
- Marigold (calendula) is well deterred Colorado pests. A bed with potatoes must be “framed” by planting marigolds; you can apply calendula additionally through a bed diagonally.
- Between potato rows it is recommended to plant the Sidun beans.
- The smell of blooming hemp is what the Colorado potato beetle is very afraid of. The fight against him is very successful when spraying hemp. 200 g of hemp pour two liters of water, boil for 10 minutes. In the cooled broth add 15 g of soap. The solution is ready.
- Such plants do not tolerate beetles: catnip, sage, nasturtium, thyme, geranium, and white ash tree. They are frightened off by their tansy, marigolds, hyssop, coriander, curative wormwood, etc.
Successful struggle with the Colorado potato beetle without the "chemistry" is quite possible. At the same time using a variety of herbal infusions and decoctions. Many plants are suitable as raw materials.After processing the tops, they scare away and destroy the pest.
Dandelion and horsetail
For broth, we take 200 g of raw materials, boil in a bucket with water for 15 minutes, cool, filter. In half a liter of broth add 10 liters of water.
For broth, fill a third of the bucket with leaves and stems, fill with water, boil for 15 minutes, leave to cool, strain. Before use diluted: half a liter per 10 liters of water.
Infusion: in a kilogram and a half of celandine, we pour out 10 liters of warm water. Dilute 15 g of calcium chloride in a liter of water. Mix, filter. After spraying between the rows sprinkle celandine.
For infusion required: chopped garlic (200 g, suitable, and arrows, and heads), 10 liters of water. Withstand the infusion for up to 4 days, dissolve 40 g of soap.
Tomato contains a glycoalkaloid toxic to beetles.
Chop the leaves and stepsons of the tomato, pour it with warm water (a bucket of water on a column), insist up to 5 hours, add a couple of tablespoons of liquid laundry soap.
Another way: we grind 3 kg of tops of tops, pour in water (10 l), boil on low heat for half an hour, filter. Before use, dilute the decoction (2 liters per 10 liters of water), dissolve 40 g of soap.
Effective against the Colorado potato beetle with mustard. Packing dry product, vinegar (100 ml 9%) dissolve in 10 liters of water.
Broth: fill the bucket with raw materials for one-third, pour water, bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes. After cooling and filtering broth ready. When using diluted: half a liter - 10 liters of water.
Infusion of wormwood with ash: 200 g of wormwood, dissolve a glass of ash in boiling water. For three hours we insist, filter and spray the bushes. Effective strong multi-day infusion of wormwood.
For an infusion: 500 grams of tobacco (preferably dried roots, dust), 10 liters of water. All we withstand three days. Strain it, pour in 10 l of water, dissolve 40 g of soap. Use the solution immediately.
Dry pepper (100 g) per bucket in water (10 l). Boil a couple of hours, as it cools, strain, dissolve the soap (40 g).
Destroys beetles and larvae of the pest. For the infusion we take a klopovnik and a couple of packs of a shag, put it in a bucket, keep it in water for two or three days, filter it. When processing bushes use a broom or sprayer.
Processed 15 cm tops. 100 g of root devyasila on a bucket of boiling water. Close and insist. Processing is carried out three times.
Half a bucket of poplar leaves pour water, bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes, add 10 liters of water, wait up to four days, filter.
Finely chop the leaves of burdock (the third part of the bucket), add water, wait 3 days.
100 grams of tar per 10 liters of water. Spray three times a week.
In addition, hemlock spotted, yellow bitter, honeysuckle, hellebore, rhododendron are used against the Colorado. Often gardeners worried about the Colorado potato beetle on eggplants. The fight is carried out by the same means. Mixtures of acacia and sunflower flowers effectively destroy the larvae. You can mix wormwood with pepper, hemlock, garlic and soap. Then pour boiling water and insist day. In some regions, use walnut leaves. Prepare the leaves in the fall, they are infused in barrels of water until summer. When the larvae invade the potatoes are treated with the resulting infusion, the pests die.
Colorado beetle. Manual fight against it
Collecting the Colorado potato beetle by hand is a time consuming process that requires time and effort. But it allows you to grow organic potatoes, and is effective in a small area.
- Speed way to collect. He is familiar to all gardeners. In a bucket or basin diluted with a strong solution of salt, you can pour kerosene, diesel. Broom biting, but not much shake from the tops of larvae and beetles directly into the bucket. Fallen beetles bucket past collect between rows.
- Shaking off is a method of dealing with small larvae. Falling to the ground, they will die, unlike larger relatives. The fight against the Colorado potato beetle by folk methods will not be effective without daily gathering.
- Spring collection.The potatoes have not yet risen, and the Colorado beetles are already crawling out of the wintering holes. At this time, it is necessary to bypass the ranks every day, trying not to trample down the landing, to collect woken beetles on the furrows. Thus, you can partially destroy them. Some bugs will survive anyway. With the arrival of heat, the deep layers of the soil warm up, and representatives that wintered especially deeply are outside.
- Destruction of egg clutches. Females lay eggs on the lower leaves on the reverse side so that they do not burn from the sun. Masonry with eggs can be found not only on potatoes, but also on weeds growing nearby. It is difficult to get eggs with chemicals, so it is necessary to carefully examine each bush, crush the found larvae and eggs, and gather beetles in a jar.
- Apply decoctions and infusions against the beetle is necessary, following certain rules. The treatment of the tops is carried out in warm, windless weather when the dew dries. Herbal preparations are sprayed in the evening until dew and moisture appear. Prepare the solutions for a couple of hours before processing. Spraying is repeated after a few days. The last treatment should be carried out two weeks before harvest. The remains of the solutions are poured into the pit and bury.
"Chemistry" against the Colorado potato beetle
Today both chemical and biological means of extermination of pests are used. They are used in the mass invasion of beetles. In pest control, it is important to give preference to agrotechnical and biological methods, and to use chemical preparations as a last resort, when all other methods do not help. The fact is that in Russia among gardeners the chemical method became very popular, therefore the beetle developed resistance to chemicals. In particular to pyrethroids, insecticides, constituting up to 90% of the entire range.
Consider how the Colorado potato beetle is destroyed. Fighting him (drugs):
1. Biological preparations do not accumulate in soil, water, and chemicals. They are less toxic to humans:
- “Bitoxibacillin” is a drug used in the mass appearance of first-instar larvae every week.
- The bacterial preparation "Bowerin", effective for wet cold summer.
- Pyrethroids ("Intavir", "Decis", "Fas", "Iskra" and others).
- Neonikotinoidy - more effective ("Aktara", "Mospilan").
- Inhibitor of chitin synthesis "Dimilin" (against small larvae).
Up to five years, only the Colorado potato beetle can hide in the ground. Fighting it requires changing the drug every year or two so that the pest does not develop immunity to the poison. Even if 99% of the population is poisoned with chemicals, several individuals will survive. On these superpuv next year the old drug does not work.
Recipe "Colorado potato beetle kills itself"
One of the most enduring pests is the Colorado potato beetle. Combating it with folk remedies with the right approach can be very effective. Finally, we give another recipe of poison. In the liter jar collect adult Colorado beetles. In a 20 l tank fill the bugs with water, close them, insist a week after the bugs have sunk to the bottom. The finished poison is highly concentrated. Dilute it in different proportions. Take a half-liter jars. In the first we dilute one to one. In the second - one to two, and in the third - one to three. We spray each of the banks in turn, checking the concentration allowed for the planted variety. We use poison immediately, as it loses its properties during storage.
Ammonia from the Colorado potato beetle: it has a smell repelling beetlesand therefore spraying is another popular way of pest control among summer residents.
The procedure is carried out in the morning and preferably in the absence of wind.
Repeat the procedure as necessary.
Many have heard about the use of Coca-Cola in everyday life: it perfectly removes rust and scum, cleans frying pans from soot and coins from plaque, but only a few people know about the use of Coca-Cola in the country or in the garden.
Coca-Cola is a carbonated soft drink, which, in addition to sugar, caffeine and dyes, contains phosphoric acid - destructive substance for insects, mites and other pests.
Himself phosphorus is the basis for most insecticidesincluding karbofos widely used for the destruction of the Colorado potato beetle.
In addition, many do not recommend the use of chemical additives during the ripening of the crop. Therefore, sometimes Coca-Cola is more suitable and affordable means for the destruction of pests.
Coca-Cola against the beetle is fast enough, after a couple of days after use, significant changes should appear.
Choose sunny and cloudless days for the procedure, because otherwise the entire Coca-Cola will be washed away by rain and there will be no effect.
Spraying the beds with Coca-Cola can be combined with substances poured into the ground.
Preparing Coca-Cola for use is fairly easy, although there are several recipes for breeding:
- Coca-Cola and water in a ratio of 1: 1. In this case, it is better to use 2 liters of each liquid.
Dilute 5 parts of drink and 1 part of water. In this case, a fairly concentrated mixture is obtained, but it also acts faster.
Do not use undiluted Cokeotherwise, all kinds of insects will flock to the smell of caramel and sugar, and there will be no effect besides the time spent.
Choosing proportions, proceed from the size of your plot, allotted for potatoes, or the number of plants suffering from the Colorado potato beetle.
Use diluted Coca-Cola, as well as any other spray. A lot of liquid should get on the leaves, inflorescences, if they are, it is better not to touch.
Attention must be paid to the back of the leaves - they are constantly the larvae of the Colorado potato beetle.
Coca-Cola is not dangerous to human health., if it is not applied constantly inside, therefore rubber gloves and other protection can be neglected.
Pollination of adult bushes
So that the larvae and adults of the Colorado potato beetle would die, already grown bushes pollinate with wood (usually birch) ash.
Material for such a procedure will require a lot - about 10 kg per hundred, but such an expense gives guarantees of getting rid of pests.
To enhance the effect, you can sprinkle the soil under the bushes - then all the bugs in the ground will die.
How to deal with the Colorado potato beetle folk methods
The Colorado potato beetle is a scourge of many summer cottages. Sometimes it is incredibly difficult to save potatoes from this pest. The insect adapts to pesticides, multiplies very quickly and in a matter of days, destroys the greens of the potato, thereby reducing its yield. Therefore, in this article we will talk about the Colorado potato beetle and the fight against it by folk remedies.
Characteristics and description of the Colorado potato beetle
To begin, consider what the Colorado potato beetle is, when it was discovered and how it spread throughout the world.
The pest was discovered by American naturalist Thomas Sai in 1824. The beetle got its name due to the fact that it devastated potato fields in the state of Colorado, however, Mexico is the birthplace of the beetle, where other subspecies of the Colorado potato beetle live that feed on tobacco leaves and solanaceous crops.
In Europe, the beetle spread during the First World War. The first country was France. The Colorado potato beetle moved east, and already in the 1940s it hit the territory of the USSR. The first foci were discovered in the Lviv region in 1949.
Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata) is an insect that belongs to the leaf beetle family. The pest parasitizes not only on potatoes, but also on all solanaceous crops: sweet pepper, eggplants, tomatoes, physalis and henbane.
Now about the fertility of beetles. The female of the Colorado potato beetle in its life lays about 500-700 eggs, which are arranged in groups of 30-40 pieces on the reverse side of the leaf. After two weeks, the larvae hatch from the eggs. This cycle takes up to 25 days.
To make it easier to assess at what stage the larva is, biologists have identified four ages. In the first and second instar the larvae are very small, sedentary. They keep in groups and feed on the substrate on which the eggs were located.
At this stage, the parasites do not cause serious damage to crops, and it is easiest to collect them manually.
After molting, at the third and fourth stages of growth, the larvae disperse, often moving to other cultures. The larvae themselves become large, the size is similar to the adult beetle, but the color of the larvae remains red or light crimson.
When the larvae turn 20-25 days, they go into the ground for pupation. The depth at which the larvae burrow into the soil, usually does not exceed 10 cm.
Now find out how much the parasite can eat green mass of potatoes.
For many, it will be a surprise that the beetles eat both day and night. At night, the parasite devours much more foliage and stem pulp. For 1 month each beetle destroys about 4-5 g of foliage or shoots, the larva - 1-2 g.
It may seem that the damage from beetles is insignificant, but one should not forget that most chemical processes that can be slowed down or stopped by damage take place in the leaves.
On average, 10 larvae of the Colorado potato beetle can reduce yield by 12-15%, and 40-50 larvae will completely destroy the bush, reducing yield by 100%. After harvest, beetles go to the ground at 60-70 cm and winter until spring.
The value of crop rotation and farming to combat the Colorado potato beetle
Effective control of the Colorado potato beetle cannot be carried out without minimal knowledge of proper crop rotation and agrotechnology of growing potatoes and other solanaceous crops.
Many gardeners wonder why the Colorado potato beetle continues to massively destroy potatoes on their land even after being treated with pesticides, and the number of parasites is a hundred times smaller in the neighboring weave.
As stated above, the beetle hibernates in the ground, near the devastated potato bush, which means that next year it will reach the surface in search of food. And if potatoes grow in the same place, you will not only facilitate the work of the parasite, but also attract beetles from other areas to this area.
The meaning of crop rotation is to plant a crop after the potato, which is not affected by the beetle. At the place of the solanaceae, you can plant onions, garlic, carrots or grains. You still can not destroy the colorada wintering in the ground, and such a maneuver deprive him of interest in your site.
The following are other agrotechnical issues that, without the use of chemistry, will help reduce the damage done by the beetle.
- Your plots should be located as far as possible from pumpkin plantings or solanaceous crops.
- The wintering beetle can be “disturbed” by deep digging, which should be carried out after harvesting potatoes.
- When spuding seedlings of potatoes, the lower leaves should be sprinkled to the maximum with earth.
- Regular weeding between rows will help get rid of the beetle pupae.
- Mulching a plot with straw or needles.
Plants Estrogens against the Colorado potato beetle
Estrogen plants are another means of protecting potatoes from the Colorado potato beetle.
The plants that scare the Colorado potato beetle include:
- borage herb
- vegetable beans.
It should be understood that reliable protection from the Colorado potato beetle will be only at the time of flowering and with a large number of plants in the area.And even in this situation, there are individuals that it does not hurt.
Enemies of the Colorado potato beetles: who fears the beetle
Now let's talk about those who eat the Colorado beetles - natural entomophages.
Nature made sure that the population of individual organisms did not go beyond the “permitted”.
That is why there are many insects that can kill up to 80% of the population of the Colorado potato beetle.
For example, in America, the main enemy of the Colorado potato beetle is the predatory bug. Only one bug larva can eat up to 300 eggs, an adult individual consumes more than 2000. Unfortunately, all the natural enemies of the Colorado dwellers in America are not adapted to the conditions of Europe or the CIS countries.
However, we also have a considerable number of enemies of the parasite, which annually reduce its number. These include ladybug, ground beetle, golden-eyed, various bugs, ants, wasps and spiders. On the territory of the former USSR, up to 50 species of grasshoppers inhabit, which eat eggs, larvae and adult beetles.
It is important to understand that the use of pesticides will destroy not only part of the population of the Colorado potato beetle, but also all natural entomophages, since most of them are insects. Therefore, if you are counting on the help of nature, forget about the use of chemicals.
Ways to combat the Colorado potato beetle
There are tools to combat the Colorado potato beetle, which can not be attributed to chemical, agrotechnical or natural. We will tell you how and when to collect the Colorado potato beetle by hand, we will help you catch the parasite with the help of baits and explain the use of straw between the rows of potatoes between rows.
All these methods will help get rid of a large number of adult beetles and larvae, but will not destroy all individuals of the parasite.
Hand picking Colorado beetles
Collecting the Colorado potato beetle is not as useless as it may seem. At the initial stage of infection, when eggs appear on the leaves, more than one thousand future individuals can be destroyed in one round.
This way of fighting makes sense, since it is useless to poison the eggs, and the hatched larvae somehow have time to “bite” the leaves of the bushes before being treated with chemicals or other means.
Inspect the potatoes immediately after germination. Pay attention to the reverse side of the sheet, on which eggs are laid. It is best to check the entire plot several times to ensure that there is no pest.
Leaves with eggs are removed and crushed. Beetles and their larvae can be collected in jars and burned or placed in kerosene / saline solution. In any case, simply throwing out bugs and larvae can not, because they will return to your site.
Traps and lures
If you intend to plant a large plot of land with potatoes, then you need to somehow protect it from the beetle. For this you can use homemade trapby placing it around the perimeter of the site.
The idea is that the Colorado potato beetle (in the spring it cannot fly due to the lack of strength) moves only along the ground. Getting into the trench, he can get out only through the holes. Due to the large amount of moisture in the places of punctures, a fungus develops, which is harmful for the insect.
Thus, the beetle has 2 options: either die from dehydration within a week, or die from a fungus.
This is the best way to protect solanaceous crops from the Colorado potato beetle without the use of chemicals. Such a trap will stop about 70-75% of all pests.
If the plot with a small potato, then you can use "Point" bait from potatoes.
To do this, a week before the shoots on the site need to scatter the sliced potato tubers. However, before using the root vegetable should be soaked for a day in a solution of chlorophos.
Hungry beetles pounce on potatoes and after some time die from poison. With the help of such baits, you can destroy the first wave of beetles, which appear before the shoots of potatoes.
Such an operation can be carried out after harvest, when the pest has not yet had time to go to the ground. So you will secure the plot for the next year.
Mulching straw between rows of potatoes
Straw mulching - not the most effective method of dealing with the Colorado potato beetle, but it also takes place, since it performs several functions at once: discourages the beetle, when rotting gives additional nutrients to the culture, it is a “home” for the natural enemies of the Colorado potato beetle and primes the soil, retaining moisture in it.
The point is that, when breaking the straw, it emits a smell that overlaps the smell of potatoes, and it is difficult for the beetle to find a landing. Thus, the beetle, falling on the site, will take the potato for the culture inedible for him.
Spraying infusions and decoctions
Continuing the theme of how to deal with the Colorado potato beetle, it is impossible not to note the effectiveness of folk remedies that were used before the invention of strong chemicals. There is a sufficient number of infusions and decoctions that will help if not to exterminate the parasite, then at least to reduce its number or expel it from the site.
Tobacco against the Colorado potato beetle has been used for a long time. The fact is that nicotine is poison not only for people or animals. The pest is also vulnerable to nicotine, and its entry into the beetle’s body will lead to death.
It is worth remembering that infusion on tobacco can destroy not only the Colorado potato beetle, but also a whole list of harmless or even beneficial insects.
Therefore, before applying this infusion, you need to think about whether you will destroy the useful fauna and whether you will poison domestic animals that can "try" this infusion. For making infusion You will need to take 500 grams of tobacco, tobacco dust, leaves, or plant stems. All this is ground and dried.
Infusion of poplar leaves
Infusion on poplar leaves rather scares the beetle than destroy it. Therefore, as soon as the effect of processing passes, the Colorado potato beetle may return.
To get started, collect half a bucket of (10-liter) leaves of poplar. The leaves should be green and fresh, as a good infusion should have a catchy smell. A bucket with leaves to the top is filled with water and put on gas. After boiling the leaves are boiled for half an hour and left to infuse for a day.
Next, infusion need to spray the entire planting of potatoes and other solanaceous crops. The smell of the leaves will block the smell of the plants that the beetle needs, and the Colorado will simply “bypass” the site.
If you grow a walnut (grafted or wild) near your home, then you can make a poison from the Colorado potato beetle with your own hands. For the infusion can be used as the leaves of the nut, and its fruits and shells.
Variant with leaves involves harvesting them in the fall, drying and preserving until spring. As soon as the first shoots of potatoes appear, we begin to prepare the infusion. For infusion will require 2 kg of leaves, which are soaked in 10 liters of water. The readiness of the infusion is indicated by a sharp strong smell of nut leaves. In this case, you need to insist at least 4-5 days. Before using the infusion need to filter 2 times.
Can be used fresh fruit or leavesthat appear in the late spring - early summer. To do this, 2 kg of green fruits (unformed nuts) and green leaves are mixed with 300 g of dry leaves and shells, pour 10 liters of boiling water and infuse for at least 5 days. Infusion before using filtered through cheesecloth.
White acacia infusion
For the preparation of infusion used bark plants. For infusion, you need to cut 1 kg of bark (the crust should be free from rotting, without rot and strong damage), dry it and grind. Next, soak the bark in 10 liters of water and insist about 2-3 days.
The resulting infusion is filtered through burlap and used for the surface treatment of potato bushes.
Onion Husk Infusion
Onion Husk used to repel many pests, including the Colorado potato beetle. To prepare the infusion, you need to take half a bucket of dry, clean onion scales, pour boiling water (first put the load on the husk so that it does not float up) and insist for 1-2 days.
After this period, the husk is removed, and the extract is filtered through gauze or burlap. It is impossible to spray potatoes or other nightshade with concentrated infusion, therefore we dilute it 1 to 2 with plain water and can be used to bait a beetle.
Infusion of wormwood
Infusion of wormwood - a popular folk remedy for the Colorado beetles. Wormwood, like onion peel, is used to scare away large numbers of insect pests. Therefore, using the infusion of wormwood, you will not only expel the Colorado, but also get rid of a dozen other parasites.
For the preparation of infusion You will need wormwood and wood ash.
For 10 liters of hot water take 1 faceted cup of wood ash and 300 g of crushed grass (you can use both dry and fresh wormwood). It is necessary to insist the mixture obtained in about 3-4 hours.
Preparing the infusion is recommended immediately before spraying in order to achieve the best effect.
This plant often grows near the road and in this case will be used as a poison for the Colorado potato beetle.
You will needpick several large leaves, chop them up and fill half of a 10-liter bucket. Next, the thread is poured with water and insist for three days. Before spraying potatoes, the infusion should be drained.
Infusion of honeysuckle high
To prepare the infusion, you can use both dry leaves of the shrub and its shoots.
1 kg of dry leaves or shredded shoots pour 10 liters of water. You need to insist about a day, after which the infusion is filtered and ½ a piece of laundry soap is added. After the soap is dissolved, the infusion is ready for use.
Infusion and broth celandine
Celandine is often used to control pests of gardens and gardens. In this case, using this plant can be prepared as an infusion, and a decoction to scare the Colorado potato beetle.
For infusiontake 1.3 kg of celandine (stems, flowers or leaves) and 3 hours insist in 10 liters of hot water. After that, celandine is removed, and 1 l of a 1.5% aqueous solution of potassium chloride (KCl) is added to the infusion itself. Such an infusion not only frightens off the pest with its smell, but also when trying to feast on foliage poisoning the beetle.
To cook the decoction, you need to break the polvedra of celandine, pour cold water over it, bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes over low heat. The resulting decoction in no case can not be used fresh! It is diluted in a ratio of 1:20 (for 1 l of broth take 20 l of water).
Decoction of dandelions
For the preparation of decoction suitable only fresh plants.
200 g of dandelion grass and 200 g of horsetail leaves are crushed, poured 10 liters of water and boiled for 15 minutes. The broth should be allowed to cool, after which it is immediately ready for use. As in the case of celandine, in its pure form, the decoction can burn the leaves of potatoes or other nightshade, so it must be diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 20.
Birch tar against beetles
Birch tar has antimicrobial and antiparasitic properties that are used to bait many parasites that inhabit gardens and orchards. In this case, the tar perfectly destroys the Colorado potato beetle.
For the preparation of "medicine" take 10 g of tar and 50 g of soap on 10 liters of water. After complete dissolution of the components can be carried out immediately processing plantings.
Laundry soap with ash
An interesting version of a folk remedy that is used until the larvae appear. After their appearance, unfortunately, the tool is useless.
To prepare the mixtureYou need to take 1 bar of soap and a two-liter jar of ash. To begin with, dissolve soap in 10 l of water, then add ash and insist for several hours.The resulting suspension is treated with the aerial portion of the potato.
Coniferous sawdust against beetles
Needles due to the allocation of oils has a very unpleasant smell for the beetle. That is why sawdust needles or part of the bark is added when planting potatoes to protect it from the Colorado potato beetle.
Also, sawdust can sprinkle the bushes of potatoes or between the rows during the defeat of the Colorado potato beetle. This method gives good results. If after processing the beetle does not die, it will certainly bypass your site.
We found out that the Colorado potato beetle can be fought without the use of chemistry, since there are many substances that have a detrimental effect on the beetle. If potatoes can transfer the effect of pesticides, then, for example, tomatoes or eggplants will not withstand this, and the future fruit will turn into a repository of poisons. Therefore, the use of folk methods and planting repellent herbs will not only protect the potato from the beetle, but also you from toxic substances.