When berries similar to gooseberries appeared on the shelves a few years ago, people did not dare to buy them for a long time. But, having understood and tried once, they began to consider them an ordinary fruit, whose name is feijoa. Over time, it became known and what is useful feijoa. From this article, you can learn everything, which is why it is worth getting closer acquainted with this beautiful and necessary miracle of nature.
Feijoa: photos, description
Feijoa - is a shrub with evergreen foliage, whose height is from two to four meters. The branches are gray-yellow in color; beautiful large flowers are visible on them during flowering. It blooms from June to July. Flowers are pretty, long bloom.
The fruit is greenish in color, the berries reach a size of about 5 cm in length and from 20 to 120 g of weight. Full ripening occurs in deep autumn, in late October - early November, depending on the variety. The harvest from a bush is collected plentiful. Even a houseplant can produce about three kilograms of fruit, and on a plantation, 30 kg and more are taken from a tree.
The feijoa fruit, whose beneficial properties became known a little later, tastes very sweet, like a ripe sweet pear. It contains a lot of fructose and sucrose, which makes it so. Fruit consistency is a mass, resembling jelly, which can be eaten with a spoon.
Feijoa: features of choice
If you want to buy feijoa, it is better to do it in the market, and not in the supermarket. At the time of purchase, the seller must cut the fruit to make sure that the pulp is transparent. If it is white, it turns out that it is immature, but in two days it will be quite mature. On the unsuitability of the fruit says brown pulp.Buy better large fruit, uniform dark green and without damage. If the fruit is rotting at home, throw it away. Feijoa fruit, whose beneficial properties depend on quality and freshness, should be consumed only in a suitable form. Fully try out the opportunity only if it is fully ripe. It turns out that before proceeding with the tasting, you should place it in the refrigerator for several days.
Legend and discovery
There is a legend about the origin of feijoa. About how the young man was in love with the sea princess, but missed the land. For the decision to return to the solid land of the sea king turned it into a tree with the aroma of the sea breeze from the fruit.
A new plant was found at the end of the 19th century. in Brazil during a scientific expedition and got its name in honor of the Director of the Museum of Natural Sciences Joao Feij. In Europe, the first fruit appeared in 1890 in France. From there, feijoa spread to the Mediterranean countries, the Crimea and the Caucasus. The tree is very thermophilic and withstands maximum frosts up to -10 ° C.
Feijoa peel is quite dense and tart to taste, and the flesh is soft and juicy with a small amount of seeds. In this case, the whole fruit is used. Some prefer to use only the inner part of the fruit, forgetting that a large number of useful substances is located in the peel. Also, the peel can be dried and added to flavor in tea. Feijoa maturation occurs from mid-October and almost until the end of November. Therefore, this berry is very popular in countries of the temperate climate zone, where during this period the cold weather begins and fresh fruit begins to depart.
Feijoa collection and storage
Feijoa harvesting is carried out when the berry has not yet ripened - this allows it to be transported without damage. When choosing feijoa you need to try it by touch. Fruits should be soft and free from visible damage. If the feijcho and the other are not, then it can be left for a few days in a well-ventilated room at a temperature of 20–23 °. Such conditions will allow the fetus to ripen naturally. In order for sure to check the quality of the feijoa fruit, it must be cut. The pulp of ripe berries is transparent. If the flesh is white, then the fruit is not ripe, the brown one is already spoiled.
Feijoa can be stored in the refrigerator in the department for fruits and vegetables, but, like any other seasonal berries, not for long. Depending on the degree of maturity of the berries is from 7 to 14 days. When stored, feijoa loses moisture, which makes it sweeter. You can also make feijoa jam, which can be consumed during the entire winter period. For this, feijoa needs to be washed, cut off the inflorescence and grind. In mashed potatoes, you must add sugar in a 1: 1 ratio. Initially, the jam will be green, but may later turn brown due to the pigment of the seeds. With this method, feijoa harvesting retains all its beneficial properties.
What does feijoa contain?
To taste this fruit is similar at the same time to strawberries, pineapple and gooseberries. However, its medicinal properties, utility more than exceed the similar indicators of other gifts of nature. Fruits in large quantities contain vitamins and all sorts of micro and macro elements:
In addition, feijoa peel contains the following trace elements: kakhetin and leukoantotsian, which are powerful antioxidants. They are used for the prevention of cancer, maintaining the viability of the immune system, the total cleaning of blood vessels. Vitamin C and essential oils have a wide range of beneficial properties and are actively used in the treatment of colds.
Feijoa - vitamin composition
Ripe oriental guest is a real storehouse of vitamins from different groups. Vitamin A is responsible for the condition of the skin, nails, vitamin B1 supervises the growth and development of the body, improves metabolic processes, and vitamin B3 and its “colleague” vitamin B6 are responsible for the normal course of metabolic processes. Similar functions are performed and vitamin PP. Without them, the development of the human body would be impossible. The vitamin composition of feijoa helps provide us with all the beneficial substances in the winter season.
Feijoa - iodine content
Compared with other fruits, the iodine content in feijoa exceeds 2.5 - 10 times. So, 100 grams of fruit contains from 8 to 35 mg of iodine. This indicator varies depending on the variety, the degree of ripeness of the fruit. In addition, this trace element is very well absorbed, therefore it is recommended for use in children, adults, pregnant and lactating women.
What is useful feijoa?
A bizarre fruit with useful properties - a universal fighter, under the onslaught of which will retreat:
- gastrointestinal problems (gastrointestinal tract),
The use of feijoa is scientifically proven, repeatedly confirmed by experts, but it is not worth using it as an alternative to medical drugs (it contains allergens). A comprehensive medical examination should be conducted, appropriate treatment prescribed and carried out. The fruit can help to maintain the health of the body, helping to speed up the healing process.
Feijoa jam - use
Alternative to eating a fresh fruit can be canning. The use of feijoa jam is not inferior to the fresh version, but it is important to observe the proper preparation. For these purposes, in the season it is worth buying 1 - 2 kg of fresh fruits, sugar and cooking in the following sequence:
- wash the fruit, remove the remnants of flowers that the plant throws in large quantities,
- cut each fruit into pieces
- grind through a blender or meat grinder,
- grind with sugar in a 1: 1 ratio,
- put in sterilized jars, tightly close the lid,
- Store in a cool place.
Feijoa berry - use
The benefits of feijoa berries are known worldwide and the number of their fans is constantly growing. Meanwhile, this fruit, like any other product, has a number of contraindications, neglecting which, you can cause significant harm to the body:
- presence of individual intolerance, allergies,
- excess weight.
If a child tries a child for the first time, it is better to start with small portions, for example, adding this useful exotic fruit to the grated salad. So you can determine how well the body reacts to a new product, even if it is rich in trace elements and useful properties. Contraindications manifest themselves unexpectedly, because the children's body is still too vulnerable to external stimuli. Further, the daily rate can be gradually increased.
Find the juice in the free sale does not make much effort, but much more useful drink prepared with his own hands. For these purposes, the most ripe fruits are purchased, which must be peeled, passed through a press or a juicer. Mineral water, apple water and sugar are traditionally added to the resulting fruit mass. The benefits of feijoa juice are the same as those of fresh fruit. However, it is stored no more than a few days - this property must be taken into account.
Feijoa - useful properties for men
The key benefits of feijoa for men are in maintaining the reproductive function, preventing the development of a disease such as prostatitis. Urologists strongly recommend that the stronger sex use this fruit daily, both prophylactically and additionally to the drug treatment of inflammatory processes. The exception and reason for rejection of the product is individual contraindications.
Feijoa for children
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic product) and its counterparts with indices A and C are key ingredients. They can be obtained from synthetic medicines, but daily consumption of natural fruit will be more effective, because its nutritional value is much higher. Feijoa benefits for children is to correct the immune system and ensure the normal development of cells. The main thing is to first find out whether the child has any prerequisites for the development of allergies. In addition, the fetus has a feature to strengthen or weaken, so you need to carefully monitor the reaction of the body.
Feijoa healing properties
The use of the overseas fetus gives a cumulative effect. To the healing properties of feijoa revealed in full, and tannins began to be active, it must be eaten for at least a month. During this time, the skin condition will improve, the immunity will be strengthened, and the body will begin to better resist infections. Next will only maintain the state.
Feijoa from pressure
The complex use of traditional medicines and feijoa against pressure has been practiced for a long time. It contains amino acids and very useful pectin, which is responsible for “cleaning” the vessels and removing harmful cholesterol from the body before it settles on the walls. However, to save the achieved result just will not work. Eating a fruit with such beneficial properties should be as often as possible.
Vitamin and mineral composition
The benefits and harms of feijoa are due to its chemical composition.
In 100 g of ripe fruits are present:
- 0.6 fat
- 1 g of proteins
- 13 g of carbohydrates
- 0.1 g unsaturated fat
- 0.3 g unsaturated fatty acids
- 8 g sugars
- 6 grams of dietary fiber.
Everything else falls on minerals and vitamins:
- potassium 172 mg, iron 0.1 mg, phosphorus 20 mg,
- zinc 0.04 mg, sodium 30 mg, copper 55 μg,
- magnesium 9 mg, manganese 0.085 mg, calcium 17 mg,
- B vitamins (B1, B2, B5, B6, B9) 0.4 mg,
- vitamin C 32.9 mg, vitamin PP 0.289 mg.
Feijoa is unique in that it contains instant iodine compounds, whose share in 100 g of the product reaches 0.5 mg.
The share of acids in feijoa is 1.8-2.8% of the total mass of the fetus. Moreover, as the fetus ripens, the amount of acids only increases.
There are 5 essential amino acids in feijoa:
- tyrosine, asparagine, alanine, arginine, glutamine.
Pectins account for 2.5-3%, and phenolic compounds (tannin, catechins, leucoanthocyanins), 0.4-0.8% of the total mass of the fetus.
Most of the phenolic compounds are found in the skin of the fetus. It is these substances that give feijoa an astringent taste.
The nutritional value of feijoa per 100 g of the product is 55 kcal.
Benefit for health
Due to the large amount of vitamins, macro-and micronutrients, feijoa is recommended to be used during the period of avitaminosis.
Surprisingly, the ripening period falls at the end of autumn - the beginning of winter. It was at this time that our body, after the summer abundance of fruits and vegetables, for the first time feels a lack of vitamins and minerals. So feijoa will have just the way.
The main benefit of feijoa is that its pulp contains easily assimilated iodine, the proportion of which is so high that the fleshy berry is not inferior in value to seafood.
This means that the green fruits of Akka Sellova can be used to treat all kinds of endocrine diseases.
However, not all types of feijoa contain the right amount of iodine. For example, in Feijoa from Batumi there are only traces of iodine. To use such fruits for the treatment of the thyroid gland is meaningless.
Thanks to vitamin C, which is an excellent antioxidant, feijoa is used in the fight against diseases of the cardiovascular system, atherosclerosis, hypertension, ARVI, influenza, and sore throat.
It has been scientifically proven that feijoa has immunomodulatory properties, so it is useful to have it during a period of exacerbations of seasonal colds, after serious diseases, and in the postoperative period.
In areas where Akka Sellova grows, not only fruits are used for medicinal purposes, but they also use the beneficial properties of feijoa leaves, which contain a large amount of essential oils. It is the volatile esters that give the leaves the scent of myrtle. Feijoa leaves are dried, and in winter they make delicious teas from them.
Nutritionists recommend feijoa during a therapeutic diet for disorders of the digestive system, as well as diseases of the stomach (for example, during hypoacid gastritis), intestines, liver, pancreas, etc.
Feijoa decoctions and infusions are often used to treat pyelonephritis of various etiologies.
Interestingly, the feijoa peel contains more nutrients than pulp. Of course, the knitting peel greatly reduces the taste qualities of feijoa, if you eat the whole fruit. But such a berry will be more useful. Although you can do otherwise. It is enough to cut off the peel and dry it, and then add it to tea.
Another remarkable beneficial feature of the feijoa fruit is its anti-cancer effect. Regular use of feijoa reduces many times the risk of developing cancer. And with the existing cancer it allows to achieve stable remission. Of course, you cannot be fanatical about this fetus, because feijoa is only an additive to the main treatment.
Thanks to essential oils, antioxidants and other substances, feijoa has a negative effect on pathogenic microorganisms and has a powerful antifungal and antibacterial effect.
So, decoctions of bark, leaves and fruits can be used as an antiseptic disinfectant. They can treat deep wounds, abrasion ulcers, cuts, rinse the mouth with bleeding gums, relieve toothache.
Feijoa does not cause allergic reactions.
Drinks from the berries, often give a greater effect than the berries themselves. Everyone knows the benefits of broth hips.
And about the benefits and harm of hawthorn infusion can be found in our article at: http://opolze.net/svoistva/yagody/boyaryshnik.html
The use of feijoa in cosmetology
Due to the antioxidants with which the fruits of Akka Sellova are rich, feijoa is often used for cosmetic purposes.
Feijoa-based masks have a beneficial effect on the skin - relieve inflammation, make it softer, give elasticity and generally improve blood circulation and the appearance of the face. Feijoa broths, as well as fruit masks, can be used to treat rosacea, acne, pigment spots.
In order to achieve rejuvenation and freshness of the skin, you can make a therapeutic mask from feijoa.
- 1 tbsp. spoon of olive oil,
- half of ripe feijoa fruit,
- 2 tbsp. spoons of low-fat cottage cheese,
- 1 yolk.
Feijoa grate or puree in a blender. Mix with the remaining ingredients. Mask impose on the skin of the face and neck. After 20 minutes, rinse with warm water.
How to eat feijoa
Excellent taste has only ripe feijoa. However, it is not always possible to acquire ripened fruit. The fact is that feijoa is harvested in an unripe form due to the fact that the fruits belong to perishable products.
If feijoa is hard and not very pleasant to taste, then the berry just does not ripen. In this case, the fruits need to lie down for several days. Ripe feijoa has a watery flesh, similar to jelly, and a thin skin.
Many prefer to eat feijoa as kiwi, that is, to cut off the dense skin, and to cut the flesh into slices.
However, ripe fruits can be eaten with the skin, especially since it contains the bulk of the feijoa nutrients.
In cooking, feijoa is added to salad, main dishes, appetizers, used to make sauces.
How to store
Unlike apples, pears, plums, grapes, and other berries and fruits, feijoa has a rather short shelf life. Ripe fruits can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 7 days. The surest way to always enjoy tasty fruits is to buy feijoa 1-2 kg.
From the fruits of feijoa you can make a wonderful dessert that can be stored all winter long. Prepare it very quickly:
Pass the feijoa through a meat grinder and combine with the same amount of sugar. Keep dessert in the fridge. Thus, you can not only extend the shelf life of feijoa, but also save all the useful substances of exotic berries.
To fight goiter, take feijoa leaf tea twice a day. A tablespoon of feijoa leaves pour a glass of boiling water and insist 30 minutes. If you add a spoonful of honey to this drink, then tea can also be used to treat jade.
As a preventive measure against hypothyroidism, regularly use feijoa puree:
- Grind several fruits in a blender and mix with sugar.
- The finished product is stored in the refrigerator.
- Eat according to art. spoon before each meal.
For jaundice, it is good to drink freshly brewed tea from the flowers and leaves of feijoa.
Sweet tooth should like feijoa jam:
- Take 0.5 kg of feijoa fruit, 1 orange, 1 kg of sugar.
- Boil the berries for 10 minutes in a small amount of water, then fold and cover with sugar. From the orange squeeze juice.
- Next, shift the feijoa to the saucepan, add the juice and boil to a thick consistency.
The advantage of feijoa jam is that this dessert not only preserves many useful substances, but also is a remedy for atherosclerosis.
Harm and possible contraindications
Ripe feijoa has no harm on the human body. However, more often you can buy unripe berries.
Do not rush to eat an exotic fruit, and let it lie for several days at room temperature.
Immature feijoa may adversely affect the work of the digestive system and even cause poisoning. To accelerate the ripening of berries, hold them for several days next to the bananas.
Due to the high content of iodine, feijoa is contraindicated to use in hyperthyroidism, because an excess amount of iodine is also detrimental to the body, as its deficiency.
With caution should be used feijoa with diabetes, as in the exotic berry contains a large amount of sugars. On this occasion, it is better to consult with your doctor.
It is not recommended to mix feijoa with milk or drink milk products. The fact is that pectins, which are rich in feijoa, do not combine well with milk. Feijoa with milk can negatively affect the work of the digestive system.
Despite the fact that feijoa rarely causes allergic reactions, it is not recommended for children under one year old, since babies do not have enough enzymes in their bodies to absorb exotic fruits well.
Pregnant and lactating women are recommended to use feijoa only in minimal quantities. It's all about iodine. It's no secret that all pregnant women and nursing mothers are prescribed drugs with a high iodine content. Eaten feijoa may cause an overdose of iodine, which adversely affect the health of the mother and child.
Dangerous properties of feijoa
Before you try, you need to learn all about feijoa: useful properties and contraindications, reviews of knowledgeable people. Basically, this fruit does not provide any danger to humans. But there are some limitations:
• May be allergic to the essential oils of the fruit.
• Do not consume more than 400 grams per day.
• High sugar content can cause digestive problems.
• Possible malfunction of the heart.
• Do not use with excess weight.
• Adversely with diabetes.
• When acne due to an overabundance in the fruits of iodine can not eat them.
If there are no contraindications, this food may be in your diet.
What is feijoa useful for and in which diseases?
This rare fruit is of great interest among specialists in the field of medicine. Like another exotic fruit, it is very attracted to itself and becomes the cause of disputes. The question of how feijoa is useful is often discussed, and under what diseases it benefits.
The benefits of feijoa are great, especially for people who have iodine deficiency in the body. In its composition it is in a biologically accessible form.
Thanks to vitamin C, which is contained in the fruit, the human body becomes stronger and more secure from various infectious diseases. This is especially noticeable in autumn and winter.
Everyone knows what feijoa is useful for and how much pectin in it can benefit the body. Thanks to him, feijoa is considered a great natural laxative. The peel is rich in tannins, but it should be taken only in brewed form. Such a drink or tea has a unique taste and is able to quickly eliminate all signs of poisoning. It is recommended to give it to adolescents and children, since the benefits for the body that is not completely strong yet are invaluable.
Here is such a feijoa fruit. How is he still useful? The useful properties include:
- The presence of trace elements and vitamins that can have anti-cancer effects.
- Participation, together with other means in the normalization of blood pressure.
- The ability to cleanse the blood of hazardous substances.
Apply for help to feijoa should first of all people who are suspected of apathy, lack of appetite, severe chills, hair loss. It is also useful for people with low hemoglobin and advanced atherosclerosis.
Feijoa - treatment of thyroid. Recipes
The amount of iodine in feijoa is the same as in seafood. But it all depends on the place of growth of the shrub. If the fruits are used to treat a particular disease, before that you need to find out how much it is contained in the purchased product. In order to prevent the fruits of any suitable shrub. This does not include only the treatment of thyroid disease.
The thyroid gland is well treatable with feijoa. Useful properties and recipes read further in the article:
- Through a meat grinder skip a kilogram of sugar and feijoa fruit, insist to dissolve sugar. Take for ten days on a tablespoon of the mixture in the morning and before bedtime. After a 10-day break, repeat the treatment.
- For diseases of the thyroid gland, eat about 300 g of fresh fruit every day. The course is three weeks. In winter, when there are no fresh feijoa, you can drink the dry infusion (3 tablespoons of raw materials, pour two cups of boiling water over it, leave for a day in a thermos). The next day, drink the contents in three doses of 0.5 st. half an hour before meals.
- You can do it easier: cut the fruit in half, scoop the fragrant contents with a teaspoon and eat it, inhaling healing smells.
- Durish grass and dry fruits of feijoa, taken equally, pour a glass of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Drink 100 ml before meals three times a day.
- In this recipe feijoa useful properties (reviews confirm) shows very bright. It includes 200 g of peeled walnuts, 500 g of fresh feijoa fruit and 200 g of liquid honey. Medicated mixture of a tablespoon is taken 3 times a day, always before meals.
Feijoa recipes for treating diseases
Next will be about feijoa, useful properties and recipes for the treatment of certain diseases which are not known to all. The fruit is endowed with the ability to clean the blood vessels and is used in atherosclerosis, and also improves memory.
You can, without waiting for exacerbations of cardiovascular diseases, to apply preventive measures using a plant. What is useful feijoa, already mentioned before. In order to prevent heart disease, you can drink once a day 50 g of water from 1 tbsp. a spoon of feijoa juice. In depressive states and under stress, regularly eat 3 fetuses per day.
People suffering from jaundice or jade, suitable tea from the leaves of medicinal shrubs. Insist in a glass of boiling water one tablespoon of leaves for 30 minutes. Drink twice a day.
Feijoa jam: useful properties
Feijoa can be eaten raw, added to salads, dessert dishes, and also you can make very tasty jam from it. It would be better if you make it fresh, i.e., do not boil it, but keep it in the refrigerator in sterilized jars. There are many recipes by which you can cook feijoa jam, the beneficial properties of which are stored for a long time.
1. In combination with honey and walnuts, it is very good. Jam made from such ingredients is also notable for excellent taste.
- Fresh fruits of feijoa - 0.5 kg.
- Walnut kernels - 0.1 kg.
- Sugar - 0.7 kg.
How to cook: wash the fruit, grind in a meat grinder (optional), cover with sugar and send there chopped nuts. Boil for ten minutes, place in sterile jars and roll up. Keep better in the refrigerator or in a cold basement.
2. Perfectly blended in feijoa jam with lemon. For cooking will need:
- Fruit - 1 kg.
- The average lemon is one thing.
- Sugar - 800 grams.
- Water is one glass.
Cut the fruit into halves, remove the flesh, put in a bowl and cover with sugar. Then squeeze the juice from the lemon and send it to the bowl. To mix everything. Grate the lemon zest on a fine grater, add to the mixture. Pour water and put on a small fire until boiling. Boil for eight minutes. Pour into banks and cork.
Wash the fruits with the peel, since all the vitamins are in it. Grind in a meat grinder through the finest grate. In the mass add sugar in a ratio of 1: 1, can be 1: 1.5. All put in jars and leave on the table until the sugar dissolves. Cover with lids, put in the fridge.
You can remember feijoa, useful properties and jam recipes for a long time. There are many options. You can add an orange, in short, everything that a fan of experimenting comes up with.
Feijoa and cooking
Use this fruit not only in its natural form. It is part of different dishes. It is not only a dessert, but also the second unsweetened dishes. If feijoa has such a wide application, how is it useful in cooking? What can you cook using it?
It is added to sauces, in vegetable side dishes. It is considered indispensable in vitamin drinks, lemonade, home-made juices. Pancakes are especially tasty if you add feijoa pulp to the dough. The layer in the cake is also canceled!
Anyone who loves exquisite taste, be sure to try all the options of dishes with feijoa, useful properties (photos of fruit are in the review) which are so in demand in cooking.
Feijoa: benefits in cosmetology
How is feijoa useful in cosmetology? This question can be answered without particularly thinking: with its antioxidants, which are rich in fruit.
Especially prized masks made on the basis of feijoa. They help remove inflammation of the skin, make it soft and supple. Thanks to the mask, blood circulation is improved, and the appearance of the face is fresh and rejuvenated.
Acne and pigment spots disappear from the treatment with feijoa decoction.
How to use feijoa
You can enjoy the real flavoring qualities only when there is a ripe feijoa. But to buy a full ripeness of the fruit can not often, because it is collected not fully ripe. This is the reason for the rapid deterioration. There is no spoiled fruit.
Some people, in their ignorance, eat feijoa, like kiwi, cutting off the upper skin and cutting the flesh into slices. In fact, they should be eaten with the skin, in which all the useful substances fit.
How to store. Recommendations
What is feijoa useful for? The presence of vitamins and healing properties that are lost when stored improperly. But the shelf life in its ripe form is very short. Even in the refrigerator can be stored in a suitable form no more than a week. If you want to always have delicious fresh fruit, but you need to buy up to two kilograms at a time.
If the fruit is still immature, its shelf life is longer. If it is collected in the last autumn days, then subject to the rules of storage it will be able to lie until the very spring. The temperature should be 0 degrees. But if it is necessary to make the immature fruits ripen at home, they must lie in a well-ventilated room at a temperature of about 24 degrees. About two weeks later, maturation will occur.
The best storage option for feijoa is a special section of the refrigerator where the desired temperature is maintained.
Feijoa smell and taste
To taste, this berry reminds me of a mixture of flavors of kiwi, strawberry and pineapple. Believe me, a very tasty berry, although it seems not very attractive, perhaps at first glance. The flesh is very juicy. Feel free to ask the seller to cut the fruit and show the flesh. There are so many subtleties. If you see white flesh, then the fruit is immature. There is nothing good in it. If the pulp is brown, it means that the fruit is no longer suitable for eating. The most mature feijoa fruit with pulp of absolutely transparent color.
It is best to eat, scrape the pulp with a spoon. I personally do not like the skin. This is an amateur. You can buy some unripe fruits and let them lie down at home for just a couple of days.
Feijoa. Composition. Calorie content
The unusual appearance of tropical fruits hides the fragrant, delicate taste and many useful substances. The composition of tropical pods include:
- micro and macroelements: iodine, iron, manganese, zinc, silicon, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and calcium, and others,
- vitamins - B3, B5, C, A, B1, B6, PP,
- acids - folic and malic,
- amino acids - arginine, asparagine, glutamine, tyrosine, alanine,
- essential oils,
- biologically active substances - tannin, leukoantotsin and kakhetin,
The nutritional value of the fruit 100 g of feijoa is 1.24 g of protein, 0.78 g of fat, 10.63 g of carbohydrates.
Feijoa. Useful and healing properties. Benefit and harm
Fruits have become more popular due to the content of highly concentrated organic iodine compounds. Therefore, feijoa is considered an ideal means for the prevention of iodine deficiency.Doctors recommend tropical fruits to patients with thyroid disease and knowledge workers. Together with the vitamin complex, iodine improves the endocrine system, and normalizes metabolism.
The significant content of pectins makes it possible to use feijoa fruit to make marmalade and jelly. Pectin is soluble fiber, helps reduce appetite and improve digestive processes.
This berry is very useful for the heart.
Natural medicine for all hypertensive patients.
Cleans the blood, is very useful for anemia.
The composition of the peel of exotic fruits includes tannins, which give a tart taste, and the biologically active substances leukoantotsin and kakhetin are considered powerful antioxidants. Peel in food is almost never used, it can be easily separated from the pulp, then dried and added to tea.
Due to its vitamin composition, the fruit has an immunomodulatory effect, therefore, it is recommended to eat feijoa with exacerbation of colds, during the postoperative period and after serious diseases.
Many nutritionists advise to include feijoa in your diet with unstable work of the gastrointestinal tract, constipation, various diseases of the intestine, pancreas, liver, stomach.
If you can get feijoa leaves, I advise you to dry them and prepare delicious tea in the winter. The leaves contain a lot of essential oils with the aroma of myrtle.
Prepared infusion and a decoction of fruits, bark and leaves of feijoa has an antiseptic and disinfecting effect. It can be used in the treatment of inflammation of the kidneys, to treat wounds, abrasions, cuts, rinse your mouth during periodontal disease,
Due to antioxidants, essential oils and other beneficial substances, feijoa actively affects pathogens and has a strong antibacterial and antifungal effect.
I want to draw your attention to the fact that the content of iodine in the fruit depends on the area where feijoa grows. In those areas where the soil contains little iodine or in room conditions, the fruits are ineffective for the prevention of iodine deficiency.
Feijoa. Harm. Contraindications
We learned the beneficial properties of feijoa, but I want to warn you that you should be careful about your health and take into account all the contraindications before you eat feijoa.
If the unripe feijoa caught you in the market, it is better to let them lie down next to the bananas at room temperature for several days. This will accelerate the ripening of the fetus and save you from digestive disorders, because an immature tropical fruit can cause poisoning.
Feijoa should not be mixed with dairy products or drink milk, so that there is no disruption of the gastrointestinal tract. The reason is that pectins, which are contained in fruits, are not combined with milk.
You should consult with your doctor in case of diabetes. A large amount of sugars can cause significant harm.
Children under one year are not recommended to give fruit pulp, since they lack the digestive enzymes necessary for the absorption of feijoa.
High levels of iodine will have a harmful effect on hyperthyroidism. After all, both excess and lack of iodine have a detrimental effect on human health.
Feijoa berries in small quantities can be used by nursing and pregnant women. Consider whether iodine drugs have previously been prescribed by doctors to eliminate iodine overdose and poor health.
To prevent all consequences, one more thing can be said to everyone again: never to “lean” on any products. And if you try something for the first time, always try a little bit. We are all different. And the reaction even to the most simple, ordinary and useful for many products you can have is just an individual.
A universal recipe for feijoa with health benefits
To prepare it is very simple. Wash fruits, dry. Cut off the tails of the berries. I never peel off. And then use either a meat grinder or a blender. It turns out such a mass of pleasant emerald color. Add sugar to it. The medical sister advised us to keep the proportions 1: 1. But I often put less sugar. Per 1 kg of grams 600 grams of sugar. You can add orange, nuts here (walnuts are especially good). Mix everything thoroughly. Put in a glass jar. Put in the fridge. Take a teaspoon 3 times a day.
If you prepare such a recipe with an orange, it must be peeled and must be crushed either in a meat grinder or in a blender.
In more detail I will talk about recipes with feijoa in a separate article. Here I will give only basic and brief recipes, how feijoa can be used for health.
When stress, depression eat 5-6 fruits a day. Cheers up, tasty and healthy.
For prophylaxis diseases of the cardiovascular system Squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice and mix with cup of water. Drink once a day, at any time.
For treatment and prevention atherosclerosis Prepare feijoa jam and oranges.
Very good at vessel problems use my universal recipe. And here is another recipe. Blanch 0.5 kg. feijoa Do not remove the peel from the fruit, then chop it with a blender and cover 1 kg. sugar until juice appears. Boil for 5-10 minutes, add juice from one orange and cook until ready. But when cooking jam, many nutrients are still destroyed. But it turns out very tasty.
For the prevention and treatment of diseases thyroid gland with iodine deficiency half an hour before meals, take 1 tablespoon of feijoa puree.
With hypertension chop the feijoa fruit in a blender, mix with sugar in a 1: 1 ratio and take one tablespoon twice a day.
With hepatitis A (jaundice) drink tea from a mixture of flowers and leaves of feijoa (in equal shares). One tablespoon of the mixture pour a glass of boiling water and insist half an hour. Drink twice a day. Tea from the leaves also helps with goiter.
Several fruits in the diet will help you in the following cases:
- rheumatic pains
- malaria and scurvy,
- painful menstruation,
- high cholesterol
- basedovoy disease
- atonic constipation
- reduced immunity.
I suggest you watch an interesting video about the beneficial properties of feijoa. I strongly advise you to watch the video. Just shown the market where they sell these berries, given tips on how to choose feijoa, than it is useful.
And if you still bought feijoa on the market, I strongly advise you to pamper yourself. Prepare something tasty and about the face with the decollete zone will not forget.
The use of feijoa in cosmetology
Due to its healing composition, feijoa pulp is used for cosmetic purposes. She is having:
- improving blood circulation
- refreshing effect.
Masks based on tropical fruits will help get rid of rosacea, acne, pigment spots on the face, give skin elasticity and improve the appearance of the face. For these purposes, you can apply and a decoction of the leaves of feijoa.
Feijoa Cosmetic Mask Recipe:
- yolk from one egg,
- tablespoon of olive oil,
- 2 tbsp. spoons of cottage cheese,
- pulp from half of feijoa fruit.
Feijoa grind in a blender and mix with other ingredients. Apply the mixture to the face and neck. Wash in warm water after 20 minutes. Lubricate your face with moisturizer.
You can use and just pulp berries for masks. Also a very good effect. I like it myself. Especially when there is no time to mix something there, just there is no time, but I want the mood and freshness of the face. Do not forget to just test on your wrist, whether this mask suits you.
Feijoa with beets. Salad
Boil 400 gr. beets, grate. Wash and cut 200 gr. Feijoa, mix with beets and add crushed walnut kernels. For such a quantity of products, take about 5-7 pieces of walnut. Salt to taste and season with vegetable oil. You can add feta cheese and sesame.
Feijoa Jelly (Marmalade)
To make jelly you need:
- grind in a blender 1.5 kg. feijoa,
- Mix with 1 glass of natural apple cider vinegar and 50 gr. pectin for fruit,
- boil in a water bath for 5-6 minutes, preventing boiling,
- remove from the stove and, stirring quickly, add 5 cups of sugar,
- again put in a water bath and, stirring constantly, boil until sugar is completely dissolved,
- remove the foam skimmer,
- pour the finished hot jelly into small glass jars, close the lid,
- cool for 24 hours at room temperature.
Frosting for feijoa meat or fish
To prepare the glaze will need:
- 1 cup of feijoa jelly,
- a quarter cup of cane sugar,
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon,
- 2 tsp. ground ginger,
- chili powder (optional).
Mix all the components, richly lubricate the surface of fish or meat, put in the oven.
And for the soul, we will listen today GIOVANNI MARRADI - Romantico How beautiful everything is, how romantic. Wonderful music.
That's the information about the beneficial and healing properties of feijoa today. I hope you find it useful and interesting. Follow the articles on the blog. We will continue to talk about the amazing berries.
What is in the composition of fruits, rind and leaves
The feijoa fruit is a hard, bitter-sour peel that contains a very sweet, jelly-like pulp with seeds. From the point of view of biological classification, it is not even a fruit, but a berry, which is why it is so juicy. In the homeland of the feijóa, its peel is not accepted - only the contents, with an ordinary spoon. Someone feijoa taste like strawberries, someone - kiwi with pineapple. Since feijoa has not received wide distribution in the national cuisine, the following should be remembered when choosing its berries.
- Peel. In feijoa, it should be green (the whole range of shades - from the color of young grass to olive), elastic and shiny, without spots. But inside there should be a soft “filling”.
- Consistency. Firm pulp is a sign that the berry is still green.
- White flesh. This is a 100% sign that it is an unripe (2/3 ripe fruit) fruit. This happens in the modern world often - due to the peculiarities of modern logistics and sales tactics. Because of them, fruit, especially exotic, almost always we eat semi-green or ripened in stock.
- Translucent pulp. Only this should look like ripe feijoa.
- Brownish flesh. The appearance of the feijoa pulp of a strong yellow or brown hue suggests that it is already overripe and ready to ferment.
In any case, feijoa berries are a tasty, but also truly sweet dessert, dangerous for diabetics, since their glucose content is very high - comparable to mangoes. Feijoa berries grown on the seashore are saturated with iodine, although their “relatives” may contain three times less than “primordial” ones.
So, from a medical point of view, this tall shrub (or a low-growing tree - as it is more convenient for someone) is most valuable for its ability to accumulate iodine from the soil and help from its deficiency. At the same time, the use of feijoa in preventing diseases of the thyroid gland (thyroid gland) directly depends on the place of its growth, which needs to be checked each time from the seller when buying berries. Otherwise, the chemical composition of feijoa is similar to most berries, in particular, due to the fact that they contain:
- food acids - folic (vitamin B9), ascorbic (vitamin C), nicotinic (vitamin B3), malic, citric,
- vitamins - another four representatives of group B (B1, B2, B5 and B6) contained in the flesh itself, as well as vitamins E, A and some others in the composition of the leaves and peel,
- macro-and microelements - iodine, sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc. Feijoa berries also contain copper, manganese, phosphorus and iron, which makes them a good (because easily digestible) alternative to the multivitamin complexes from the pharmacy that is currently in vogue,
- vegetable fats - in the form of essential oils, giving feijoa pulp strawberry-pineapple flavor.
The skin of the Akka Feijoa berries also contains anthocyanins - natural coloring compounds. They give parts of the plant, which contain shades of color from scarlet to purple. Anthocyanins are powerful natural antioxidants, and are used in the indicated quality as scientific medicine and cosmetology. There are a lot of them in the leaves of the plant. By the way, its leaves along with the peel are also rich in tannins, giving them a bitter-tart taste and serving as natural antibiotics, since they are moderately poisonous.
Useful properties and contraindications of feijoa
The presence of these components in various parts of the feijoa determines its ability to alleviate the course of diseases.
- Reduce the temperature. And to deal with other signs of a cold, because organic acids in the composition of berries have antipyretic, anti-inflammatory properties. This includes vitamin C.
- Remove joint pain. Since their antiseptic effect affects not only the sore throat, but also the course of osteochondrosis, arthrosis and arthritis (with the exception of gouty).
- Sanitize the digestive tract. When dysbacteriosis, indigestion of unknown etiology, low acidity of the stomach, as all the same acids and tannins disinfect the cavity of the digestive organs during the digestion of feijoa pulp.
- Improve digestion. Due to the stimulating effect of tannins and anthocyanins on the intestines and liver together with the gallbladder.
- Reduce blood pressure. Because all food acids have the properties of light anticoagulants. Plus, their presence in the blood can reduce the intensity of inflammation in different parts of the vascular network (for atherosclerosis, they are always available) and slightly expand the lumen of the vessel.
In addition, fruits can:
- to replace seafood - if the purchased feijoa berries grew no further than 20 km from the sea coast, one can hope that their kilogram contains an almost full daily dose of iodine,
- to replace multivitamins - or rather, preparations of minerals and trace elements, since the number of vitamins directly in feijoa berries is far from complete,
- to prevent anemia due to the presence of iron in a relatively well-digestible form (unlike the same apples).
With what ailments helps
The healing properties of feijoa are appropriate for kidney diseases, except those caused by oxalate or urate stones / sand in them. Both types of stones are formed due to metabolic disorders in the body of oxalic (oxalate) or urinary (urate - a sign of gout) acids. In such cases, the exchange of other acids also suffers, though not so much. This means that taking foods that are rich in any substances from this range is fraught with an increase in kidney problems instead of solving them.
Feijoa is one of the few fruits that are allowed to be used for pancreatitis (not during the exacerbation period) because its B vitamins can improve the condition and behavior of the pancreas.
The use of feijoa cough leaves, judging by the reviews, is as effective as the use of berries. Feijoa leaves and skin are rich in tannins and antioxidants. But the experience of their use in traditional medicine is not too large, and the reason for this is not only the relatively low prevalence of feijoa in our climate zone.
On the other hand, many other plants, including those from our latitudes, have similar properties. Moreover, their action and better understood, and expressed much brighter.For example, the same anthocyanins are most of all not in the feijoa peel, but in black currants, black grapes, red pepper, blueberries, mulberries, and tomatoes. Tannins are also not particularly rich in its leaves, but in oak bark - whence their name came. Therefore, most often, as a saturated extract, they do not use leaves preparations, but feijoa essential oil - a concentrate of tannins, antioxidants and minerals, which is good for acne and other minor skin problems.
When is able to harm
At the same time, food acids, such as light antibiotics and antiseptics, whose ability to reduce and even eliminate inflammation in many tissues of the body has been scientifically proven, they simultaneously create the main benefit and harm of feijoa. The problem is that they all provoke acute immune reactions - hence the prevalence of allergies to fruits rich in them with berries, including citrus fruits, strawberries, currants. The main side effect of feijoa is also an allergy. In any case, if we are talking about its berries saturated with organic acids. In addition to allergies, other conditions are contraindications to feijoa.
- Diabetes . Due to their excessive glucose content, even if along with fructose.
- Excess weight . Due to the high caloric content of feijoa berries. Eating fruit instead of chocolate bars, of course, has a positive effect on any figure, but only under the condition of other serious restrictions on carbohydrates. And losing weight simply by introducing feijoa into the diet is impossible.
- Complications of atherosclerosis. Starting with hypertensive crises, and further, to ischemia, heart attack and stroke. The use of feijoa berries in food normalizes blood pressure due to natural antiseptics, antioxidants and some trace elements (magnesium, potassium). But all of them can have a pronounced therapeutic effect only up to a certain point — as long as the heart with the vessels is relatively healthy and there is only a slight age-related deterioration in their work. And then, due to their treatment with feijoa at home, you can only lose precious time, risking not just health, but life.
- Hyperacid gastritis. Especially if the high acidity of gastric juice is combined with an ulcer. Feijoa is a sweet and sour fruit. So the addition of a fair portion of acids from it to that already in the stomach in excess, will only lead to increased aching pain from the bottom under the ribs (in the acid-burned lower esophagus), heartburn, and deepening of erosions, if any.
- Gout and oxalaturia. The second disease is intolerance to oxalic acid.
Methods of storage, preparation and use
To the question of how to use feijoa for therapeutic purposes, we can say that it is easiest to eat its flesh fresh, with honey, adding a teaspoon of natural floral or buckwheat honey to the flesh of two fruits.
Feijoa has a short shelf life - only about a week on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. But as to how to prepare feijoa for the winter, firstly, this is not always necessary, since the first batches of its berries come to the counter in November-December. Secondly, the abundance of food acids (strong natural preservatives) makes it possible even to simply mix its pulp with sugar in equal proportions, disperse it into sterile jars and close it with plastic caps. That is exactly the same as the black currant is closed.
Preparing from feijoa jam is more difficult: here you need to be able to knead sugar syrup, because in case of an error, the jam will become a compote (there is too much liquid in the pulp of ripe feijoa). Moreover, such a recipe is less preferable, since heat treatment will destroy the lion’s share of acids and other vitamins in its composition. Feijoa can also be frozen, but the most watery part of the pulp will have to be sacrificed.
There is even a liqueur based on peyhoya peeled and diced berries, infused with 40% alcohol or cognac. Moreover, many believe in its medicinal properties, although in reality alcohol destroys the basis of feijoa therapeutic effect — food acids in its composition. In other words, only some mineral compounds remain in such a liqueur, and it treats colds only to the extent that alcohol-induced warming up of all body tissues can help.
- a teaspoon of feijoa dried leaves,
- a teaspoon of dried rind of feijoa berries,
- natural honey
- a glass of boiling water.
- Grind the leaves and peel, put them in a cup for brewing and mix.
- Pour boiling water over raw materials, mix again and cover.
- Leave on for fifteen minutes, then add honey to taste and stir it until complete dissolution.
Paste from thyroiditis
- two to four feijoa berries with peel,
- tablespoon of sugar / honey
- meat grinder, blender or food processor.
- Wash the feijoa berries, cut off the stem from the ends and mince (or chop in a blender).
- Add sugar or honey, whisk thoroughly until completely dissolved.
- half a liter of vodka, moonshine or cognac 40%,
- three ripe or overripe feijoa berries,
- 150 grams of sugar
- 100 ml of filtered water
- glassware with a volume of at least a liter with a tight lid.
- Wash the feijoa berries and cut off the skin from them. Cut the pulp into large cubes.
- Dissolve sugar in water, put on medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to a minimum and cook for five minutes, removing the foam with a slotted spoon.
- Fold the sliced berries in a clean dish, carefully pour sugar solution in water so that the glass does not burst.
- After cooling the mixture, add the brew / vodka / brandy, shake the entire contents and close the lid.
- Infuse the drink for two weeks in a warm and dark place, taking and stirring it once a day.
- After the expiration of the infusion, remove the vegetable components and filter the residue through folded gauze several times several times, until complete transparency.
The healing properties of feijoa in the composition of the obtained liqueur will be severely narrowed compared to the fresh “original”. In addition, it has a weak bouquet, but in general is not bad - especially as a homemade alcoholic drink. It can be sweetened or “backed up” with another alcohol of the same quality, adding the components necessary for the ideal of taste after the base has been infused. Store the pouring on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, not more than a year.
What is feijoa useful for human health?
There is in the people an unusual legend, according to which a beautiful young man was in love with a sea princess.
But the longing for his homeland overcame him, and the young man decided to make an escape from the sea kingdom.
For such a king of the sea depths, he turned it into a beautiful feijoa tree, the fruits of which resemble azure sea in color and smell like light breeze.
Botanical characteristics of the plant
Feijoa is an evergreen large sprawling shrub, or a tree, reaching a height of 5 meters.
The fruit is a fleshy, large, juicy berry weighing up to 50 g, dark green in color with an unusual strawberry-pineapple mixed with kiwi flavor.
Homeland feijoa considered mountainous areas in southern Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay and northern Argentina.
What is the taste of feijoa?
These fruits have a sweet-sour taste, with the aroma of pineapple and strawberry. This is due to the special essential oil that is contained in feijoa.
But such taste and aroma appears only in fairly ripe ripe fruits, whose flesh already resembles jelly.
But, unfortunately, such ripe berries cannot be transported at all, therefore they are torn off when they are still completely green and hard.
But it is believed that even such unripe fruits, when they artificially ripen, are also very useful for the body.
The chemical composition of the fruit
Feijoa fruits contain sucrose and fructose, organic acids, essential oil, water, pectin substances, vitamins B1, C, A, catechin and tannin, trace elements (strontium, calcium, chromium, selenium, zinc and iron).
The main advantage of feijoa is the high content of iodine salts - 1 kg of fresh berries contain about 10 mg of water-soluble iodine, which is equal to the amount of this element in seafood.
Amino acids are represented by arginine, asparagine, glutamine, tyrosine, alanine.
Useful properties of overseas feijoa berries
This is the only fruit in the world in which the iodine content is as large as that in seafood!
So, how feijoa is useful:
- A high content of vitamin C, which is very necessary for strong immunity.
- Sufficient content of soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Feijoa fruits contain a fair amount of protein, including essential amino acids.
- A significant content of various biologically active substances from the category of antioxidants, which help to keep Youth and Health at a good level for a long time.
- Excellent prevention of cancer. It perfectly cleanses the blood, removes toxins, poisons, slags from the cells of the body.
- It helps to lose weight, quickly and easily get rid of a couple of kilograms. Especially when combined with exercise ☺
- The peel of this fruit is considered edible, and it contains the maximum amount of useful substances (including onco-tread). Therefore, eat it whole with the peel, just rinse very carefully beforehand! But the rind has not quite pleasant, tart taste. Although, I think, those who really need it, they will eat and skinned ☺
- An excellent therapeutic and prophylactic agent for gastritis, hepatitis, pancreatitis, atherosclerosis, pyelonephritis.
- The ideal tool for vitamin deficiency, inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Perfectly removes excess fluid, prevents the appearance of edema.
- Improves complexion, saturates blood with oxygen.
- It helps with rheumatism, has antibacterial, antifungal properties, treats acne, acne on the skin.
- It soothes, relieves high blood pressure, removes headaches, lowers blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Helps with painful, heavy menstruation.
- Excellent remedy for diseases of the heart, blood vessels.
- Well helps those who suffer from diseases of the joints, the deposition of salt.
How do feijoa eat?
Consider the basic ways how you can eat feijoa:
- It is possible (and necessary) to eat more often fresh.
- You can add to various dishes, desserts, make jam, jam, compote.
- Often fruit fray with sugar or honey, stored in the refrigerator. A wonderful tool to strengthen the immune system instead of the usual jam.
- Sometimes feijoa is served with meat and fish dishes.
- Fresh fruit juice will bring the greatest health benefits.
- To do this, choose a sweet and juicy fruit. Without cleansing the skin, squeeze the juice with a press. Perfect screw auger juicer.
- Juice can be mixed with juices from other fruits, berries.
- You can make smoothies, in which you can also mix feijoa with different fruits, berries, greens, honey.
- Excellent and tasty drink - fruit juice with the addition of honey. To do this, pure feijoa fruits are ground with water, honey in a blender.
- Very often used thoroughly washed, dried and ground peel of the fruit as a therapeutic and preventive natural supplement.
- Dried peel is used to brew medicinal teas.
Is it possible to eat feijoa with skinned?
Phenolic compounds katerina and leukoanthocyanins, located in the peel of feijoa fruit, are considered to be the strongest antioxidants, they also help prevent cancer and delay the aging of the body.
Therefore, the fruit can be eaten with the skin, although the latter has a tart, astringent taste.
Who should not have feijoa - contraindications for use
Despite the use of feijoa, there are many contraindications to the use of its fruits and medicinal extracts:
- Not for persons suffering from diabetes and overweight.
- As a result of the use of immature fruits, digestive upset is also observed, possibly poisoning.
- It is impossible for persons with hyperfunction of the thyroid gland, because an overdose of iodine is dangerous to health.
- Feijoa berries cannot be combined with milk due to the presence of pectin in the fruit.
- Not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
- Children are not recommended fruits, as allergic reactions are possible.
Here is such information about what feijoa is useful for today. I really hope you find it useful.
Write in the comments, do you like to eat this “overseas fruit”?
You may also be interested in these posts about healthy fruits:
And what do you cook from it? Maybe you have such recipes that will be useful to others and will benefit their health?
Please share them in the comments! ☺
Share this article with your friends in social networks, tell your friends about the benefits of feijoa.
With you was Alena Yasneva, Be Healthy and Happy! See you soon, friends!
JOIN MY GROUPS IN SOCIAL NETWORKS
What is feijoa? Fruit or berry?
The feijoa fruit is an oblong-shaped berry with a smooth dense skin of a green shade. The soft juicy pulp reminds a combination of several fruits: strawberry, kiwi, pineapple. The fruit is edible whole and all together with the skin, but not everyone likes its taste. Its maturity can be determined by color: if the flesh is white, the fruit does not ripen, if it is brown, then overripe. Perfectly ripened fruit has a transparent core.
Useful properties for women and men
For women, the fruit is especially useful during pregnancy when the body of the expectant mother needs a large amount of iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium. All trace elements are contained in feijoa. In addition, for the development of a healthy fetus, you need a sufficient amount of iodine, which favorably affects the thyroid gland and the formation of the nervous system of the child. With its deficiency in the body of a pregnant woman and a newborn infant, congenital hypothyroidism (reduced thyroid function) may develop. The complication of this disease is dementia. At the same time, the fruit belongs to low-calorie and does not add weight to the expectant mother.
For men, feijoa is useful for prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland). Due to the healing properties of feijoa fruits can prevent inflammation of the prostate, so they are used for the prevention of male problems. At the same time, male erectile function is also improving.
How to choose a mature feijoa?
On the degree of ripeness of the fruit depends on its benefits. The more ripe feijoa, the more nutrients it contains. For transportation, they collect the undersized fruits, so when buying you should pay attention to such nuances:
- Hard fruit set aside for several days. This will enable him to ripen and become softer. The most useful feijoa, which has a jelly-like pulp.
- Overripe fruit is not worth buying. It is difficult to control the beginning of fermentation processes, and bought feijoa will be unusable.
- The peel of the fetus should not have visible damage. They indicate that the beneficial qualities of the fruit are reduced. The reason may be mechanical damage during transportation. It is better to postpone the fruit even with small dents, so as not to doubt its freshness.
- Large fruit is always preferable. It contains more sugars and vitamins. But this is not the main criterion. Depending on the variety, feijoa have different size fruits.
- If you need to purchase a ripe fruit, then easily push it down. It should be soft, and the skin - not completely smooth. Cut the feijoa and examine the flesh. The unripe fruit has white color of pulp, overripe - brown. Unripe fruit can be put on ripening, overripe fruit is not suitable for use.
- The fruit should not be a stem. It indicates that feijoa was cut from the branch, not waiting for the harvest period.
- The aroma of a mature feijoa resembles the smell of pineapple. It is judged on the maturity of the fruit.
Season of sales in Russia. Prices
The time of ripening of feijoa fruits is the end of October and the beginning of November. In Russia, the fruits are imported from Azerbaijan, Abkhazia, they are grown in Sochi and the Krasnodar Territory. The price of the fruit is not high - it fluctuates around 50-100 rubles per kilogram. Therefore, you can and should allow yourself to eat at least a few feijoa fruits per day during the cold season.
The most famous options are storage:
- in the form of jam (with the use of heat treatment and without it).
Which way to choose, you need to decide depending on the desired shelf life. On average, feijoa fruits remain fresh for 10 days after harvest. If we take into account the period of transportation, packaging, preparation for sale, then it is better to use mature feijoa at once or in the refrigerator for several days. The immature fruit lies until spring with proper observance of storage parameters - temperature conditions and high-quality ventilation. It is enough to place it in the compartment of the refrigerator intended for storage of fruit.
How to eat feijoa? Recipes
This fruit can be consumed both raw and thermally processed. Feijoa raw fruits have a specific taste, reminiscent of pineapple, kiwi and strawberries at the same time. Delicious only pulp, skin is dense and not very pleasant to the taste. But it is in the skin that contains most of the nutrients. Therefore, in order not to lose them, prepare jam or jam from the fruit, along with the peel.
Recipe for raw feijoa jam
Many housewives prefer jam - a reliable way to enjoy the taste of feijoa for a long time. Minimal loss of the vitamin value of the fruit provides a "live" feijoa jam. Prepare it according to the classic recipe for berries. Sugar and fruits are taken in a 1: 1 ratio and ground into one mass. The amount of sugar can be increased - this will prolong the shelf life of the jam, but will deprive it of the specific taste of feijoa.
The cooking steps are simple:
- Fruits wash, remove tails and stalks.
- Crush in a convenient way - in a blender, meat grinder.
- Spread the mass in an enamel bowl and pour sugar.
- Stir until sugar crystals dissolve.
- Lay out the sweetness in a pre-prepared glass container. Lids and jars are carefully washed with soda solution, rinsed and doused with boiling water.
- Keep the jam in the refrigerator for no more than 2.5 - 3 months.
There is a recipe in which sugar is replaced by honey. This is a natural preservative, which is not recommended to be subjected to heat treatment. Therefore, it can also be used for “live” jam.
If the composition (with sugar) is thermally processed, then the shelf life is increased to 1 year. In this case, a glass of water is added to the components listed above, which is poured into an enameled container and brought to a boil. Then parts are added sugar and dissolved. Fruit puree is shifted to the syrup and mixed with a wooden spoon. Boil the mixture for 10 minutes, regularly removing the foam. The container for jam is thoroughly washed and sterilized. Lay out the finished jam on the banks, roll up and sent for storage in a cool place. Jam is used throughout the year.
In the classic composition, many housewives love to add zest. For feijoa jam, it will be lemon juice, cranberries, pear, orange pulp with peel or ginger root.
To prepare, take 600 grams of raw feijoa fruit, wash them, remove the dry tails, cut the fruit in half. Crushed in a blender, add 0.5 kilograms of sugar, juice and zest of one lemon, 3 tablespoons of grated ginger. After that add half a liter of drinking water, lay in an aluminum dish and cook to a state of thick jam. Ready feijoa jam is transferred to sterilized jars, rolled up with lids.
Thyroid Treatment with Feijoa
Use the jam of raw feijoa fruit or mashed potatoes. You need to take a tablespoon 30 minutes before a meal 2-3 times a day. The course of treatment is at least a month. It should be remembered that only mature fruits are used for medicinal purposes.
Also used infusion of dry fruit feijoa. To do this, 3 tablespoons of fruit pour two cups of boiling water, insist overnight. The next day, drink in 3 doses. So continue every day for a month.
Feijoa for diabetes
Diabetes mellitus is a disease of the pancreas, in which there is a violation of the uptake of glucose by cells. At the same time, blood sugar levels are elevated. Disruption of the diet and the use of products containing a large amount of sugar, aggravates the course of the disease, leading to an even greater increase in blood glucose. Therefore, for the treatment of diabetes, feijoa is not used, given the sugar content in its composition, but it is permissible to consume in minimum quantities.
Feijoa is also used in the treatment of the cardiovascular system. It cleans the blood of cholesterol, stimulates the formation of blood cells, prevents the formation of blood clots, the pure juice from the feijoa fruit. A tablespoon of juice is mixed with 50 grams of water and taken once a day.
To strengthen the walls of blood vessels, you can use jam with oranges. To prepare take a kilo of feijoa fruit, 2 kilograms of sugar and juice of two oranges. Cook jam and take 1 tablespoon 2 times a day. The combination of a large amount of vitamin C in an orange and a complex of trace elements and vitamins in feijoa strengthens blood vessels.
Feijoa in cosmetology
The fruit has an anti-inflammatory effect, so it is used to combat acne. Rejuvenating, softening and nourishing properties help fading and aging skin to maintain a healthy look. The simplest recipe is to apply the crushed fruit pulp on the face and leave for a few minutes.
Before applying any mask, you need to conduct a skin test: put a small amount on the inner surface of the forearm and wait 10-15 minutes. If there is no reaction, you can safely put a mask on your face.
There are a few feijoa facial masks:
- Due to the large amount of essential oils and antioxidants, fruit is used to strengthen the skin and hair. Cosmetologists recommend using the following face mask every 3 days. Prepare a decoction of chamomile (1 teaspoon of herbs per cup of boiling water), cool, add a tablespoon of oatmeal and two tablespoons of feijoa pulp. The mixture should be infused until the flakes swell. After that add a teaspoon of almond oil and can be applied to cleansed skin.
- The pulp from several feijoa fruits is ground in a blender to a homogeneous mass. To it add 2 tablespoons of fat cottage cheese, one chicken egg yolk and a tablespoon of olive oil. Before applying, clean the skin from cosmetics and sebum. Apply the mask on the face, rinse with warm water after 20 minutes.
Growing feijoa at home
Growing feijoa at home is possible and is becoming more common in Russia. This tree is loved not only for its beneficial fruits, but also for its beautiful flowers. Grow a plant in two ways.
- Growing from seed. For harvesting, take ripened fruits (importantly - not overripe!), Extract the pulp from them together with the seeds. Wash the pulp in a weak solution of manganese, dry the separated seeds and sow them into the soil. Initially, you can use small pots, and then transplant the sprouted seedlings in more spacious containers.
- Growing from cuttings. Take cuttings 8-10 cm long, leave on them one pair of upper leaves. Deepen them by 2/3 of the length of the slope into the soil. The soil is shed with a warm, weak solution of manganese. To retain moisture in the soil (feijoa loves it), you can cover with polyethylene. The lighting should be intense, but the light will drop absently. Rooting cuttings occurs in 1.5-2 months. After that, they can be planted in the ground.