It would not be superfluous to know how to deal with a carrot fly, because this pest significantly spoils the crop. Despite the name, the insect has a much wider "specialization": its larvae parasitize on other members of the umbrella family: parsley, celery, fennel and other wild and cultivated plants. It is necessary to carefully examine the plantations for pest infestation in order to destroy the fly and its larvae before they spoil the entire crop.
Carrot fly (Chamaepsila rosae) is a flying insect belonging to the large family Psilidae. Her body length is not great at all: 4–4.5 mm, so she often eludes the eyes of a person.
Morphological characteristics of carrot flies:
- the abdomen and thorax of a black fly, with a shiny surface and a whitish down.
- the small head is red-brown, and the legs are yellow.
- long oblong wings, transparent with brown streaks, are characteristic of carrot flies.
On a photo the carrot fly which reached puberty
The insect females lay white oval-shaped eggs. From them larvae are born, whose length is about 0.5 cm. Their body is poor-yellow, with a glossy shine. The larva has no head and paws: it has a solid worm-like body, slightly tapering in front. The posterior end is rounded, and next to it are the spiracles. It is in this form that the pest causes damage to the trees. This means that the grower must know how to deal with a carrot fly in the garden when the insect is in a state of larvae.
The next phase of insect development is a light-brown pupa, having a segmented body. It appears from the larvae in the fall. Speaking about this stage of pest transformation, you need to tell how and where the carrot fly hibernates: it is her pupae that climb into the soil to a depth of about 10–25 cm before the onset of cold weather. . Also pest larvae can live in stored stored carrots.
After hibernation, the larvae begin to activate with the arrival of spring heat. Prompt, when this time comes, will help a kind of indicator: the blooming of lilac, apple, bird cherry, which coincides with the awakening of a carrot fly after the cold weather. At this time, the soil is already heated enough.
Favorite places of carrot flies - beds with wet soil, located in the shade. If the summer is rainy, then the population increases several times more than in dry and hot. Pest activity occurs in the morning and evening hours, while at noon the fly seeks to hide in secluded corners and in the grass from the scorching sun.
After mating with an individual of the opposite sex, the female lays eggs. All of them for its existence, it can postpone up to 120 pieces. This occurs at the end of May, approximately 25–40 days after the appearance of carrot shoots.
The female lays eggs either at the root neck of the sprouts, or at a slight distance from them, in a well-moistened soil, because without water, the future offspring is doomed to death.
Under optimal conditions, the air temperature is 20–24 and its humidity is above 60% after 4–7 days larvae hatch from eggs. If the weather is colder, the process is delayed: it can take 17 days. If the air humidity is below 60%, then most of the offspring die.
After the birth of the larvae move to the young roots, to begin to feed on their juicy flesh, doing in it numerous and ornate moves. The process of weight gain due to the nutrients of the donor plant lasts about 3 weeks. The larva quickly grows in size and soon, when the time comes, it turns into a pupa. The process of pupation occurs in the soil at a depth of 10 cm.
Photo of carrot fly larva gnawing a root vegetable
A carrot fly in one summer has time to implement 2 generations. The second imago appears at the very end of July and August. Individuals have time to lay eggs, but individuals that have emerged from them will not have time to become an adult insect, remaining to spend the winter in the form of a pupa or, more rarely, larvae.
Harm and symptoms
The larvae of carrot flies, parasitic on root vegetables and other plants, harm them. The signs and effects of insect activity are:
- changes in the color of the leaves or leaves - at first they acquire an unnatural purple hue, then begin to turn yellow and gradually dry up,
- the top of the carrot, peeking over the surface of the soil, also becomes lilac,
- if you carefully examine the root collar of the root with a magnifying glass, then the moves made in it by the larva are noticeable.
- when cutting the carrot, you can also see the moves of the brown shade,
- the root crop begins to rot, because through the mechanical damage to its surface, done by the larvae of the pest, bacteria penetrate.
- carrots covered with knobby formations.
Root crop exudes an unpleasant odor, making the product unappetizing, and its flesh is coarse. To avoid this, you need to know the methods of dealing with carrot fly.
Carrot fly has a long period of summer, so it is very prolific. The fight against it is complicated by the fact that when the larvae penetrate the root crop, it is almost impossible to destroy them. Therefore, the protection of landings should be taken care of in a timely manner.
Protection of plantings in the garden against pests includes, first of all, preventive measures, the adoption of which will help prevent the occurrence of carrot flies on the site or significantly reduce the population size. The idea is to create unfavorable conditions for the insect in the beds.
Here are some simple rules on how to save carrots from carrot flies:
- Observe crop rotation. This means that for several years in a row it is impossible to occupy the same bed of a certain culture and even other members of a non-family. This is a universal rule, which allows to protect plants to some extent from pests: not finding a useful food in a familiar place, some of them will leave the site.
- Weed weeds. Wild plants from the Umbrella family are especially attractive to carrot flies. Common clover and dandelion serve as food for adult flies. Therefore, it is desirable that these plants are not next to farmed carrots, celery, daikon, etc.
- It is recommended to plant carrots as early as possible (if possible, when the weather is right).
- Give preference to carrot fly resistant varieties: Nantik Resistaflay F1, Calgary F1, Olympus, Amsterdam, Nantes 4, Chantonne. They have a low content of chlorogenic acid, the smell of which is attractive to the pest.
- Choose for planting root dry and easily ventilated soil without stagnant water. Carrot fly prefers to lay eggs in a moist soil: so the larvae will be born much faster, and if drought they die. Therefore, if the ground is not well moistened, the female of the fly will most likely not lay eggs on it.
- We need to regularly weed and loosen the beds with carrots. Aeration of the soil changes the nature of the gas exchange in it to be unfavorable for the fly, and the development of larvae slows down.
Compliance with preventive rules is unable to protect plantings completely, but they are the basis for their protection from the pest.
Treating carrots from carrot flies with chemical insecticides is not the safest way to control a pest. But when it comes to saving the crop, this method is most effective and justified. The main thing is to comply with all the requirements specified in the instructions for the drugs: method of use and timing, dosage and precautions. Each insecticide is individual.
All chemicals from carrot flies can be divided into 3 large categories:
- For seed treatment before planting in the spring. These insecticides make future plants more resistant to pest damage. For this purpose, the “Prestige” is effective.
- For scaring adult carrot flies from the beds. The use of funds will help avoid laying eggs by females around the landings. These drugs are very toxic and retain their properties for a month after use, so if the crop is harvested during this period, it will be unsuitable for food and can cause poisoning of the body. Karate and Arrivo are used to scare away carrot flies during their summer.
- To destroy the larvae. For this purpose, diazinone-based preparations are suitable: “Basudin”, “Lukhoed”, “Prototoks”, intended for the control of soil pests. Usually they are granules that need to be embedded in the ground. These drugs are included in the list, which can be used to cultivate the land from a carrot fly in the fall. The larvae and pupae, in contact with the insecticide insecticides, quickly die.
Also shows good results struggle with carrot fly folk remedies. They act weaker than chemicals, but do not have a toxic effect on the soil and root crops. For example, you can use:
- Traps from a cut-off plastic bottle in which fermented kvass from bread is poured. Adult flies, deciding to try the treats, will be in the liquid. The disadvantage of this method is that beneficial insects fall into the trap.
- Planting next to the carrot beds or between the rows between the roots of plants with a specific smell that most garden garden pests do not like: onions and garlic. Also carrot flies scares off the scent of marigolds. These flowers can also decorate the site.
- Watering the beds with carrots infusion of husks from onions. To prepare this folk remedy, the husk is poured with water in a proportion of 1: 2 parts. Also onion peel and you can just scatter the beds.
- Infusion of black and red ground pepper (famous spices). 1 tbsp. spoon a powder diluted in a bucket of water and use it for watering.
- A mixture of sand (1 l) and tobacco dust (1 tbsp. Spoon) is used, sprinkling the beds.
- Shelter plantations of argo fiber after watering: realizing that laying eggs in a moist soil will not work, carrot flies will fly away in search of a more suitable place to continue the race.
- Kerosene from carrot flies is also used: they are sprayed with carrot furrows in a small amount.
Popular methods of struggle can be used as long as the number of flies is small. It is advisable to use them until the larvae hatch, because later they will move to live deep into the root, and will not be easy to influence them.
Biological means of protection
Fighting carrot fly with the use of biological effects - a compromise between efficiency and safety. Apply the drug "Aktofit" against the pest: only 10 ml is diluted in 5 l of water. It is necessary to spray the beds with carrots with a trained composition (5 liters will be enough for 1 hundred square meters).
Biologics are slower than chemical insecticides. But they are safe for health, because they do not contain toxic substances.
If the carrot is already infected
But often, precautionary measures and the use of funds are not enough, and the larvae still affect the root. In this case, the question arises how to store carrots damaged by a carrot fly.
Unfortunately, such root crops will have to be eliminated, because even at low temperatures the larvae will continue their parasitic activity and will be able to pupate. Store affected carrots can only be in a processed form: dried, grated and frozen, canned.
Carrot fly is a pest that infects roots and makes them unsuitable for storage. To achieve a better result in combating it, it is better to use a set of measures: prevention, the use of folk remedies and, if mass destruction was not avoided, the use of chemical insecticides and biological preparations.
How to destroy the larvae of the pest - carrot flies
Before proceeding to the use of chemicals, it is worth using agrotechnical techniques. Yellowed vegetables must be removed from the root of the earth and destroyed, leaving no residue on the garden beds. To prevent the larvae from hibernating in the ground, it is necessary to dig it deep in the fall.
If carrots fly larvae have settled on carrots, and the struggle by agrotechnical methods has not yielded results, then insecticides should be used to exterminate soil pests, such as Provotoks, Mohoed, Basudin. These agents have an active substance - diazinon, that is, they will have the same effect on the treated area. The destruction of the larvae occurs as follows: moving in the ground, they touch the poisonous preparation and soon die.
How to deal with carrot fly folk remedies
Folk remedies for many years successfully help gardeners exterminate pests on the site, they were used by our ancestors. As a rule, you can get rid of dangerous insects without the use of chemicals. Broths and infusions are effective and absolutely safe for plants, unlike special means, because they do not accumulate pesticides.
Effective ways to get rid of carrot flies:
- During the laying of insects, ridges with root crops are sprinkled with tobacco dust or mustard powder.
- A proven remedy for the fight against carrot fly - wormwood tincture. For its preparation, it is necessary to put 300 g of fresh grass in a bucket, add water (temperature 95-100ºС) and wait until it cools completely. The resulting composition is diluted with 14 liters of water. Processing the beds tincture of wormwood produced by watering.
- Spray the area with root vegetables tincture of garlic or onions. To do this, pour 200 g of finely chopped product into a 2 liter container with warm water and leave it for 24 hours. The resulting composition is filtered and diluted with 8 liters of water. You can also optionally add a few drops of liquid soap.
- Spraying plantings with a decoction of the tops of the tomatoes will help drive a carrot fly away. To do this, pour 4 kg of green raw materials with 10 liters of water, boil for 30 minutes and leave for three hours. The resulting infusion is diluted in a ratio of 3 liters of broth to a standard bucket of water and add a little liquid soap. And between the ridges you can decompose the remains of a plant
Carrot Fly: a quick fight with chemicals
Special drugs guaranteed to help get rid of pests on the garden with root vegetables, but subject to use according to the manufacturer's instructions. When working with insecticides, it is imperative that you follow safety precautions - use personal protective equipment.
It is not recommended to handle plantings from carrot flies at high ambient temperatures, since the effectiveness of preparations decreases in hot weather. Favorable time for the event - morning and evening. For sufficient and uniform coating of plants with a solution, spray guns should be used. It is recommended to perform the procedure in calm weather.It is also necessary to apply chemicals in concentration and according to the terms of treatments that are indicated on the packaging by the manufacturer.
Carrot fly: quick ways to deal with it with chemicals
To protect carrots from pests, it is recommended to spray the beds with insecticides, such as Decis, Aktara, Avers. A wonderful tool that is popular with gardeners from carrot flies - Fitoverm. During the growing season, Vanex is widely used. Also birch tar will help scare away the pest with its specific smell.
Carrot fly: preventive and agrotechnical methods of struggle
During insect breeding, the risk of crop loss increases. Attention should be paid to planting carrots during the period of active growth, when the first green leaves are formed above the soil. If you miss it, the plant will not be able to resist the pest, and as a result the roots will become dry and tough. Vegetables affected by carrot fly are bitter and hard.
Root crops infected with the pest cannot fully develop, they grow small and twisted. If the beds are affected by the larvae, the carrots will no longer be able to be preserved because it rots and deteriorates quickly.
Preventive and agrotechnical control measures to protect carrots from carrot flies in garden beds:
- The pest does not like the smell of onions. If it is planted near the root crops, insects are unlikely to approach them, as the sharp smell of the plant will scare them away.
- When preparing the ground for planting carrots, it is not allowed to add fresh cow dung.
- Before sowing planting material should be treated with a solution with the addition of any growth promoter. Then mix with sand and sow to damp ground.
- It is not recommended to sow an umbrella crop if organic was introduced into the garden in the current year.
- Sow seeds early in time, before the carrot fly begins vigorous activity.
- To protect carrots from carrot flies, it is necessary to loosen the soil. To root crops are not bare, before loosening the land should be well watered. Thus, it will be possible to get rid of flies, their larvae and eggs.
- Compliance with crop rotation. You can not plant a vegetable constantly in one place. Return the root to it can be no earlier than three years.
- To do weeding of a site, to delete the damaged and unviable sprouts.
- An effective way to control a pest is to mulch the spacing with peat chips, since the pest does not tolerate peaty soil. Product consumption - 300 g per 1 m² of area.
- Choose carrot varieties resistant to carrot fly.
- Grow vegetables on light and ventilated areas, as insects prefer to lay eggs in lowlands and shaded places.
- Before embedding it in the ground, the seeds must be treated with special preparations against soil pests.
To prevent carrot fly infection when growing carrots, it is recommended to carry out preventive and agrotechnical measures. Remember that it is much easier to prevent the appearance of a pest than to destroy it during the growth of the root crop.
What does a carrot fly look like?
Recognize the insect is easy:
- size of adult pests - up to 5 mm, larvae larger - up to 7 mm. The structure of the body, the appearance is a lot like ordinary indoor flies,
- the color of adults is black with a greenish-brown tinge, the antennae and legs are orange. The larvae look like small worms, light yellow in color, the legs are missing, the front part is a little pointed.
- winter pests in soil or root crops remaining in the ground. The departure of the flies begins when the indicators reach +15 С… + 17 С,
- From mid-May or early June, if it is cool outside, females lay eggs. The masonry is in the soil next to the plants. During the season, egg-laying reaches 120 pieces,
- after a week, sometimes earlier, the larvae appear. Voracious worms immediately attack young plants, damage greens, suck up juice,
- in three weeks the pests move to the ground, the “pupa” stage begins.
- the second generation of carrot flies appears after pupation. Harmful insects continue to spoil the crop, gnawing not only the tops, but also root vegetables. The greatest activity - from mid-July to the last days of August,
- New females also lay eggs among plants, often choose areas where the owners were too lazy to thin the carrots,
- some larvae have time to pupate, others remain in the roots, destroy the crop laid for the winter in the cellar or a large storehouse.
Learn the instructions for use of the aerosol Raptor against fleas in the apartment, as well as precautions when using the chemical.
How to get rid of flies in the apartment? Effective methods of dealing with buzzing insects are described on this page.
Harmful insects settle in warm, humid places. Excessive watering, lack of sunlight, plus thick carrots planting - ideal conditions for the development of pests.
Carrot fly arrives in the garden in search of food. Previous generations give life to new individuals, active reproduction ensures good survival of the species. The more favorable the weather, the more pests settle on the green part of the plants and juicy orange root crops.
Carrot fly is a dangerous pest. Some bugs and butterflies gnaw up leaves or fruits, but pests that prefer carrots feed on all parts of the plant.
Another unpleasant moment is the wintering of insects inside the root crops. If the larvae do not have time to pupate, they remain inside the carrot, prepared for storage. When warming eggs, larvae appear, spoil the crop, gnaw through the flesh.
- in the roots are noticeable moves, blackened by time, dark points,
- damage to the pulp is often noticeably closer to the base of the root,
- the leaves darken, take on a purple hue, dry up gradually. When a carrot is detected in the garden with a strange leaf color, it is worthwhile to immediately pull out the damaged plant, until the harmful insects have moved to the adjacent zones,
- root growth is disturbed, carrots acquire an irregular, ugly shape,
- similar damage is brought by such a common pest, like a wireworm that lives on potatoes,
- with pronounced injuries, the plant dies.
How to fight: effective methods
How to deal with carrot fly in the garden? It is not easy to get rid of the parasite: some owners encounter dangerous pests every year, despite the use of toxic agents, compounds based on plant components. The reason for the failure is a violation of the processing time, the wrong concentration of the composition, insufficient attention to the roots, prepared for winter storage.
A positive effect in the fight against flies, destroying carrots, give the following methods:
- use of chemicals
- use of folk remedies.
The best option is an integrated approach. Safe formulations made from plants and detergents are suitable for prevention. With the active reproduction of pests can not do without effective insecticides. Agrotechnical measures reduce the risk of the appearance of a carrot fly, hinder the reproduction and development of the insect.
With low efficiency of folk methods helps spraying carrot beds with special insecticides. Chemicals destroy larvae and adults. The compositions belong to a different class of toxicity.
Before using an insecticide, be sure to read the instructions, to find the optimum concentration of the working solution. Improper use of chemicals to control carrot fly harms the crop or does not give a noticeable effect. A weak solution often causes resistance in harmful insects, it will be even more difficult to remove the pest.
- Arrivo. Cypermethrin-based emulsion concentrate (active substance content - 25%). The systemic insecticide also exhibits working properties when pests come in contact with the treated surface.
- Decis. Universal remedy destroys pests at different stages of development. The average degree of toxicity, does not decompose in the soil. Three forms of release: water-soluble granules (25%), emulsion concentrate 2.5%, Decis Extra has a higher concentration - 12.5%. The drug enters the body of pests by contact with sprayed plants and eating carrot parts treated with the solution.
- Aktara. More effective remedy based on thiamethoxam. The drug goes on sale in two forms: water-soluble granules and suspension concentrate. For ease of use, the tool is packaged in packages of 250, 1.4 and 4 g, ampoules - 1.2 and 9 ml. The systemic insecticide is not afraid of rain, it destroys pests, gnawing passages in carrots, sucking the juice from the stems and leaves. Universal remedy effectively fights with many types of pests of garden crops, home plants.
Rules of application:
- morning and evening hours are suitable for processing carrot beds,
- the weather should be dry, windless,
- the composition, prepared according to the instructions, spray on green, spray the soil around the carrots,
- re-treatment is carried out in a week
- The optimal number of procedures for protecting the garden is indicated in the instructions for the specific insecticide.
From the last treatment to the use of root crops should take at least three weeks. Violation of the rule provokes poisoning of the body.
- plant carrots further apart. When the soil is infected with a carrot fly, the traditional method (thinning thickened areas as the roots grow) does not work,
- use varieties resistant to pest attack. Gardeners recommend varieties: Perfection, Vitamin 5,
- to choose the right site for carrot beds. Mandatory conditions: a small hill, a sufficient amount of sunlight,
- plant a bow next to the carrot: the garden flies cannot stand the strong smell,
- refuse manure for fertilizing carrot beds,
- plant seeds at the end of May, while the larvae are not so active,
- deep digging the garden in the fall, be sure to turn the lower layers. With this approach, many larvae will be in the cold, gradually die or be eaten by birds,
- plant carrots in areas where tomatoes, garlic, and onions were previously located. Optimal crop rotation reduces the risk of garden flies,
- seed treatment with biological products. Effective formulations: Azotofit, Trichodermin,
- moderate watering: high humidity is one of the causes of the pest invasion.
How to provide first aid for the bite of a hornet, and what are the consequences of a stinging insect attack? We have the answer!
Effective folk remedies for moths in the apartment and the rules for their use are described on this page.
Go to http://parazitam-stop.com/gryzuny/myshi/narodnue-sredstva.html and learn how to permanently get rid of mice in a private house with the help of folk remedies.
Description and life cycle of the pest
Carrot fly can damage a significant part of the crop. Every gardener should know what a pest looks like, what signs signal an appearance. The insect also settles on parsnip, celery, parsley, less often - on dill, cumin, hemlock.
The size of an adult fly is 4-5 mm. The color is greenish, the head is round, covered with rusty-yellowish setae. A black spot is visible on the crown of the simple eyes. Antennae with bright yellow fibers are located under the prominent forehead. The wings are wide, shiny, green hue. Paws yellow, slightly elongated in front.
Larvae size is 5-7 mm in length. The color is pale yellow, glitters. Front body with a sharp end, rounded back with black stigmas. The larva forms a pupa (pupar) of elongated oval shape, brown color. The first flies appear at a steady-state temperature of 15-17 ° C. Depending on the region - at the end of April or in May. At about the same time, the bird cherry tree, lilac, apple tree are blooming, which will prompt you to take preventive measures to scare away insects in time.
What harm does the carrot fly
Adults practically do not harm plants. The main damage is caused by the larvae. They feed on roots, gnawing at them long strokes. To eat such carrots is undesirable, especially to leave for long storage. If time does not take action to eliminate carrot flies, most of the harvest may be lost. At the same time, the plot becomes densely populated by insect pupae. Next year they will be much more.
Signs of pest damage
The fly is small, so it is difficult to notice. Presence on plants is detected by the following signs of the appearance of a fly:
- The leaves become red, then purple. Subsequently turn yellow and die.
- On the roots there are bumps and growths, inside you can see darkened moves. Then they are deformed, cracked, rotten, exude an unpleasant smell.
- The taste of carrots becomes bitter, the structure - tough.
From the carrot flies will help protect the smell of other plants that it can not tolerate. You can alternate the rows of carrots and crops such as onions, marigolds, marigolds. It is important to observe crop rotation and not plant a vegetable for one place over the next 3-4 years.
Protection by nonwoven breathable material - lutrasil, spandbod, can help, you can use tulle. It is necessary to have planting on open, solar spaces as the carrot fly prefers a shadow and the increased humidity. For the same purpose, rare sowing culture, thinning.
Sowing time should be as early as possible, effective winter method. It is desirable to use varieties of carrots that are resistant to pest damage. You also need to be careful with watering, not to over-moisten the soil. It is enough to irrigate once a week, but plentifully. You can not feed carrots with fresh manure.
It is required to promptly remove damaged, rotted plants, periodically mulching between rows with dry peat.
Chemicals from carrot flies are considered the most effective. But in view of the danger they pose to human and animal health, it is justified to use it only on large areas or with severe infection of the beds. These methods of dealing with the fly are more often used when she has laid eggs and the larvae hatched. At this stage, other methods are useless.
You can use chemicals such as:
The beds should be processed in the morning or in the evening in dry, calm weather. The tablet is dissolved in water strictly according to the instructions, a weak solution will not bring the desired result, and it will still have a harmful effect. A more concentrated solution can lead to poisoning when eating root vegetables.
After processing carrots with chemicals, you can eat a vegetable no earlier than in a month. Therefore, biopreparations that are safe for human health are used. They are slower, but will come at the initial stage of infection. Good results are given by Actofit, Fitoverm, Summer Resident.
The surest way to protect carrots from carrot flies is to prevent them from appearing on beds. Compliance with the rules of agricultural engineering, spraying plant broth or infusions significantly reduce the risk of infection.
It is important to properly prepare the ground in the fall - to dig up to a great depth (25-30 cm), without breaking large clods of earth and not leveling the surface. In this case, the frost will destroy the pupae of the fly. When planting, it is possible to alternate the beds with plants that repel pest odor. Mandatory thinning in 2 stages, timely loosening, removal of weeds.
It will help protect the roots of the correct choice of carrots. Varieties resistant to carrot fly damage - Perfection, Calgeri F1, Vitamin 5, Flacca. They contain a large amount of sugar that the insect does not like. Also suitable varieties that do not have a strongly pronounced specific smell of tops.
The appearance of the insect
Carrot fly - a black insect found everywhere in the European part of Russia. The length of her body is 4.5-5 mm.
The wings of the fly are transparent, and the head and legs are yellow. Years of insect, depending on the region, begins in the second decade of May. As a rule, the beginning of flowering of mountain ash and apple trees serves as a guide.
Fly larvae have a length 6-7 mm. Their body is painted in a light yellow color, it is elongated, with a slightly dulled end.
Next you will see a photo of carrot flies:
An insect hibernates in the soil in the form of a pupa. If suddenly there are roots in the field, the larvae that have survived in them can also successfully overwinter.
When the air temperature is reached + 15-17 ° C flies start. This pest loves the shadow; it is found in damp, shaded places, near water and hedges made from living shrubs. In the open, the fly does less harm.
Emitted insects lay eggs in May: from the 15th day to the end of the month. If the spring is cold, the clutch may occur in early June, when a couple of leaflets appear in the carrot. Females lay eggs in the ground near the plants.
Individual insects live for about 12 days. The period of their summer and laying eggs is 1-1.5 months.
Larvae appear on 4-17 day after the eggs have been laid. It depends on the temperature. They feed on plant juices for about 3 weeks, after which they crawl into the soil, where they begin to pupate.
Having poured, insects creep out to the surface. They form the second generation of garden pests. Their years begin in mid-July and end in mid-August..
Females lay eggs in densely growing crops. In the fall, some of the larvae have time to pupate, while others with the crop fall into storage, where they continue to damage it, feeding on the juice of vegetables.
What pest eats?
Larvae that develop from eggs, immediately dig into delicate plants. Most often they rush into the tips of their roots. They gnaw at them moves that acquire an ugly shade of rust. Root crops look unpresentable, become tasteless.
What plants are susceptible to damage?
This insect affects not only carrots. From being able to suffer parsnip and celery, and parsley.
A fly especially loves wet and shaded areas. It is in such places she causes the greatest damage to the crop.
Signs of infection
To determine that the roots are affected by this fly, you can on the following grounds:
- leaves of the plant become purple in color, after which they turn yellow and dry,
- on root vegetables, winding passages are visible, transverse cracks,
- carrot becomes ugly, there are pronounced constriction on it.
If the plant is badly damaged, it may die. Usually, damage to roots is located close to the point of root growth. In the vegetable stores, the larvae crawl from one carrot to another, penetrating into the core. Externally, the damage looks like those that are applied by wireworms.
Methods of struggle and prevention
How to protect carrots from carrot flies? To prevent carrot and other umbrella crops from this fly, the following measures should be taken:
- choose carrot-resistant varieties: these are Vitamin 5, Calgeri F1, Perfection,
- avoid shady areas and wet areas when planting carrots,
- sow culture is not very thick: it applies to dill, celery, parsley,
- process seeds with biologics: trichodermine, as well as azotofit, phytocide-p,
- dig deep beds in the fall, turning layers over so that the insects in the spring could not get to the surface,
- moderately water crops,
- plant carrots on the beds where tomatoes, garlic or onions were previously grown.
To combat the carrot fly with the noble means include the following:
- Dusting crops with tobacco dust, black or red pepper, dry mustard.
- Infusion of wormwood: for its preparation, a 10-liter bucket is filled with fresh wormwood and the grass is poured with boiling water. After cooling, the infusion is divided into 3 parts and diluted with every 8 liters of water. The resultant means is watering the beds, and the wormwood remaining after filtering the infusion is laid out between them.
- Tomato infusion: 4 kg of tops are poured with 10 liters of water and boil for about 5 hours. Filter the broth, add 50 ml of soap to it in liquid form, dilute with 3 parts of water and spray the beds with it.
To achieve excellent results, crops should be processed monthly. Compliance with all the rules will tell you how to get rid of carrot flies in the garden. Simple and completely safe ways of dealing with the fly will allow you to get an excellent harvest and save it throughout the long winter.
In conclusion we offer you a video about the selection of carrot fly resistant carrots:
Description of the carrot fly (photo)
The front sight is so small (reaches a maximum of 4.5 mm in length) that you will not notice it immediately. Externally, it is similar to the usual fly - the same shiny, black, with a greenish tint little body. The head of the insect is reddish, and the legs are yellowish. The larvae are microscopic whitish worms.
The carrot fly begins its activity in the period of apple, rowan and lilac flowering (i.e. in May). It was then that the overwintering pupae larva transformed into an imago, crawled out of the heated land and began to look for suitable beds for carrots and turnips (the insect gave particular preference to Daikon), parsley, parsnip.
Days after 25 is the laying of eggs on the sprouted shoots. The larvae are quite active and very quickly penetrate into the roots that have not yet formed. Somewhere in a month the larvae go to the soil, where they pupate. The second generation of flies appears in August, and the cycle repeats, but mature fruits are being eaten.
During the season, the 3rd generation of the pest has time to appear, it is his pupae who remain to spend the winter in the garden. Since this period is at the time of harvesting, some of the larvae remain in the roots, with which the carrots are laid in the storehouse. Such a crop will quickly become worthless.
Signs of carrot disease
Due to the very small size of the insect, it is difficult to visually detect it in the garden. In addition, the carrot fly is perfectly camouflaged in the leaf, and on the ground it is almost invisible. Therefore, you should be more attentive to the crops themselves in the beds.
In a plant affected by a pest, tops acquire a purple color with a reddish tinge. Then she begins to turn yellow and die. When harvesting carrots, infected root vegetables can be distinguished - they are covered with growths and have uneven formations. If you cut a carrot, then inside you can see the moves, gnawed by the larvae. Yes, and the taste of these roots tighter and have an unpleasant bitterness.
How to get rid of carrot flies: video
In the stores you can find a large selection of chemicals that were created specifically to combat garden pests - Aktara, Arivo, Detsis, Fitoverm. Insecticide with a specific name "Carrot Fly", based on a powerful tool - pyrifosmethyl, has an excellent effect.
Dilution of these drugs should be strictly according to the instructions, and processing of beds should be carried out only in dry and calm weather.
- It is necessary to take into account that if the weather is rather hot, then the effectiveness of chemicals decreases.
- An obstacle for high-quality processing of beds will also be fogs and dew.
- Evening hours (between 16 and 20 hours) are considered the best time for spraying plants.
It is also necessary to consider whether there is a nearby apiary, so as not to harm the beneficial insects. It is worth taking care of your own safety - work exclusively in a respirator and protective suit.
An alternative to chemicals is biological products that are harmless to the human body. Actofit is considered to be the most effective against carrot flies (but Dachnik can also be used). It is diluted at the rate of 20 ml per 10-liter bucket of water. This amount is enough for 2 weave garden.
Biologics are recommended to use more often than chemicals - both harmless to health and more effective against pests. But for "biological weapons" it is desirable to have a separate sprayer.
What smells scare away the fly?
About how to deal with small pests by repelling smells, already mentioned above. In addition to spraying the beds with fragrant infusions, you can lay out some means between the rows - the same orange peel, onion peel, odorous herbs and tops, naphthalene.
When planning the garden, you can take into account the reaction of flies to some odors and group the cultures together.
- If you plant onions among root crops, you get a double benefit - the onion fly does not like the aromas of umbrella crops, and the onion carrot is scared away.
- An excellent neighborhood can be considered beds with tomatoes - tomato tops that scare many pests.
- It is desirable that near the carrot beds were islands of horseradish - the tartness of its aroma is very unpleasant for a fly.
Having framed the beds with borders of fragrant herbs, the gardener will not only protect the culture from the invasion of parasites, but also create an interesting landscape on the site.
Description of carrot pest
A very small carrot fly (4-5 mm) with a greenish-black body, yellow paws and a head.
This insect reproduces 2 generations of larvae:
- The first egg laying at the end of April and the beginning of the middle of May: on the soil surface near the plants, the pest produces when the first two leaves appear on the plant. At this time, about 150 eggs are fertilized. A few days later, the larvae emerge from them, which feed on the inside of the fruit and the leaves of the plant. After a month, the caterpillars will pupate and become adult insects.
- Then the process is repeated, at the end of July - beginning of August, the second laying of eggs takes place. During this period, they settle mainly in thickened areas of sowing.
In winter, the carrot fly and its larvae hide in the ground, and with the onset of the warm time they begin to get out.
The larvae may be in the root and eat its pulp for about a month, damaging the whole carrot and gnawing at it moves. As a result, the leaves become a reddish-purple hue, then turn yellow, gradually drying out, and crumble.
The affected roots are ugly in appearance, tasteless and unsuitable for storage.
How to fight?
A carrot fly can damage almost the entire crop, since its larvae infect both the growing young processes and the mature fruits. To secure the future harvest, it is necessary to take measures to combat this pest.
Various spraying and chemical treatment of the area with plantings are effectively used for pest control of carrots.
Chemical preparations are used during periods of the mass summer of carrot flies. By spraying with various chemical preparations, the plot is treated with carrots and weeds near it to fight insects.
Root crops affected by carrot fly become tasteless and unusable.
For example, chemicals like "Fitoverm", "Vanteks", "Arivo", "Volaton". It is necessary to process the area with the planted plants with these means in the morning and evening, while the air temperature should be at least + 20 ° C.
Protection after spraying with chemical preparations lasts a long time, for 3 weeks, without requiring repeated exposure.
The benefits of chemical exposure to pests include a quick result. Already a short time after the treatment of the plot, the carrot insect will die. In addition, all chemicals are resistant to rainy weather.
There are significant drawbacks when using chemical treatment of plants:
- First of all, vegetables can be consumed only 20 days after the last treatment. It is believed that this time is enough to decompose the chemical preparation into components that do not harm human health.
- Secondly, the use of any chemical product requires a careful approach to its use. To avoid adverse effects, follow the safety instructions when handling and follow the instructions.
Resistant carrot varieties
To protect carrots from pests-insects, it is better to choose early-ripening varieties. This will give the opportunity to plant carrots later, about 14 days, thus protecting the vegetable from the first attack of carrot flies. In addition, varieties ripening in mid-July will provide an opportunity to harvest the crop immediately after ripening. This will help avoid the next insect attack at the end of the season.
Popular resistant carrots are "Olympus", "Perfection", "Vitamin", "Canning" other.