As a rule, construction work is rarely dispensed with without the use of concrete. It is quite difficult to mix the solution with your own hands, using only a large container and a shovel, and at a significant scale of the upcoming work, it is completely impractical. It is much more convenient to mix concrete with a concrete mixer. Such a unit can be purchased at any specialized store, but still many, trying to save money, try to make it on their own. Do-it-yourself concrete mixer is a great opportunity to get such a useful device with minimal financial costs. About how it can be made, and will be discussed in today's article.
DIY concrete mixer
Option number 1. Mechanical
You can see the design of this simple unit with mechanical kneading in the image below. The main advantage of such a concrete mixer is that it has an impressive volume. As for the drive, in this case it can be either manual or electric. To unload the concrete tub you need to tilt to one side.
But there is a minus inherent, in principle, to all units with a tub tub of cylindrical shape - this is poor-quality mixing in the corners. Another mixture is sprayed if the speed is more than 35 revolutions per minute. But the second problem can be dealt with if, at the end of the assembly, weld that part of the barrel that has been cut back to its place and make a hatch in it.
Note! Such a concrete mixer with its own hands kneads a simple solution for no more than 5 minutes, and dry - for 1-12 minutes.
Option number 2. The horizontal combined design which is equipped with combs
This design, as described above, also happens to be manual or electric. The advantages include high mixing homogeneity, as well as high speed and quality of this procedure. Such a concrete mixer is made from an old barrel, but its quality is not inferior to the best modern industrial models. What is characteristic, the kneading speed is determined by the number of revolutions, and not time (in order to prepare the solution, you need to crank only three to four times).
Although there is a minus - it consists in the fact that the design is quite complex. To make even a manual version, you will need several dozen different elements. In this case, special attention should be paid specifically to the unloading hatch - all seals, latches with hinges should be exceptionally high quality and reliable. Nevertheless, if you have a lot of work to do in record time in a place where there is no electric power, then such a concrete mixer is very useful. Finally, note that similar designs are manufactured on an industrial scale.
Option number 3. Electrical construction
This is perhaps the most common option, which in most cases is copied by home craftsmen. Therefore, something especially does not need to be explained. You can find the circuit in the image below. There are many varieties with various design differences, and finding detailed drawings is not difficult. In a word, we give only some explanations.
- The neck and bottom of the tank must be reinforced with cross-welded planks.
- In this case, the frame mixer, which is welded to the axis, is most suitable.
- It is recommended that the container rotates with the axis - this will make the frame construction more complicated, but you will not have to seal the shaft in the bottom (the latter is just one of the reasons for the short operational life of the mixers).
Option number 4. Vibrating unit
Quite often, people having a hammer drill with a power of 1-1.3 kilowatts with a percussion mechanism, which turns on forcibly, tried to make a vibrating concrete mixer on their own, but in most cases they did not get the desired result.
Check out common mistakes.
- First of all, this is the wrong selection of capacity. The latter should be only round, not too wide, but high.
- The vibrator is not positioned correctly. It should be located on the axis of the tank, and the distance from it to the bottom should approximately correspond to its radius. Above the vibrator itself there should be a solution of height not exceeding its diameter (again).
- A flat vibrator is used. The fact is that if it is made of a sheet of metal, it will not be able to excite the required wave system in concrete. It is important that the profile of the element be at least approximately as shown in the image. The best option is a pair of saucers or plates (it is better to give preference to metal ones), which are folded together.
- And the last one is the vibrator is too big. Its diameter should be 15-20 centimeters per kilowatt of power. Simply put, if the power of the punch is the same 1.3 kilowatts, then the device will cope with plates with a diameter of 25 centimeters. If the diameter is large, then the concrete mixer with its own hands simply will not be able to “rock” the mortar.
If you follow all these requirements, you can get concrete of excellent quality.
Stage One. Capacity
To make a container for kneading (also known as a pear), prepare a finished tub or materials from which you will make it. There are many possible options - a drum from a washing machine, an old can, a barrel. Although if you put forward special requirements for the future design, it is preferable to make a pear yourself. Prepare sheet metal (possibly new) with a thickness of 2 to 2.5 millimeters. Then get to work.
Fabricate 3 or 4 components of the future capacity. A pair of truncated cones (this will be the bottom and the top), the base (in other words, the lowermost part), and also the fasteners of the cones in the center (in case this is necessary at all).
After that, weld all the elements together to obtain a pear (it, in accordance with preliminary calculations, has a volume of about 200 liters). In addition, it is desirable that at each attachment point there is a double weld. It is worth noting that often masters advise to fix metal rivets between a pair of welds to increase reliability, although this point is optional.
Stage Two. Case and base
As for the case, it is often made of wood, but if you are seriously focused on durability, it is better to use a metal corner. Give preference to a durable material on which a minimum of rust (if scrap metal is used), also take care of the design of the most convenient base. The future body must withstand the planned weight with a margin of 20-50 percent, since during vibration and kneading the load, respectively, will only increase. Moreover, take into account that in addition to concrete itself weighing 100-200 kilograms, you must also keep the tank itself, with the necessary additional accessories.
All fasteners are carried out by welding and auxiliary bolted connections. At the same time, it is recommended to take care of the practicality of the future unit at the same time. The concrete mixer can be piled on a frame with wheels for more convenient transportation of the "miracle of technology." You can also take care of a convenient handle with which the body will move around the construction site.
Stage Three. Engine
This stage is rightfully considered the most difficult, since it is quite difficult to calculate what characteristics and parameters future equipment should have. And therefore, the power should be determined based on what are the requirements for the volume and weight of the mixed concrete, as well as the ability to extract one or another engine. Some for this purpose use the motor from a washing machine or scooter, while others prefer less expensive equipment (for example, a motor from an electric drill or any similar tool).
We also note that both power and the speed at which the concrete mixer will rotate with its own hands should be taken into account. It is important that it is not very high - say, about 15-20 revolutions per minute. There are several ways to adjust the speed - automation, gears with shafts, a homemade device, and also the use of belts.
Stage Four. Direct assembly of concrete mixer
The assembly procedure itself is nothing complicated and involves several consecutive steps. We consider each of them in more detail.
Step one. First you need to make sure that all connections - both pears and shells - are strong enough. Fasteners should be provided in advance, the same applies to the connection and installation of the motor.
Second step. After that, you need to install the engine and gearbox on the frame, and then qualitatively fix all the details of the rotating mechanism.
Step three. The next step is to install the tank on the axis and base. This should be done so that the pear is located at an angle of 35 degrees.
Fourth step. Now it remains only to check how the concrete mixer turns on / off, whether the fasteners are reliable, how well the rotation is. To adjust all the parameters used gears or belt.
Note! The procedure described above is more clearly demonstrated in the thematic video, which is presented below. Having looked at it, you will finally understand how to make and run the device described in this article.
Video - Homemade concrete mixer
It is worth noting that any of the structures described above can be a good alternative to expensive "store" equipment. Although, of course, in the absence of the required consumables, the cost of such budget equipment can significantly increase, although the experience is in any case very interesting. In addition, the design of the concrete mixer can be cheapened, and the principle of its action can be simplified. This can be done, for example, by replacing the automatic rotation with a manual one. In this case, instead of dozens of complex parts, you will need only bearings, a handle, a lever, as well as a “comb”, which will be located inside the pear.
Another option for manufacturing a concrete mixer
The design presented below is very similar to that described in the previous section, and therefore some detailed explanations are not required here. The manufacturing procedure itself can be understood from the given step-by-step illustrations. We only note that in this example a ready-made barrel of 200 liters, a 250-watt electric motor for 1430 revolutions, a motorcycle wheel, a pair of rings welded together are used. The finished pulley will be welded to the bottom of the tank. You will also need a pair of belts, a channel and pipes 59 for the frame.
Feasibility of the decision
So, we found out that cement mortar is required for almost all construction work. And if for pouring the foundation, for example, it is advisable to use the purchased finished mixture, then in the case of work involving the periodic use of relatively small portions of the mixture, it is advisable to rent / buy a concrete mixer (you can use a manual mixer, but it is better electric).
Of course, for mixing, you can use the same trough with a shovel, but this approach, in addition to labor costs, has other disadvantages. The quality of concrete in this case will not be high, the mixture will turn out to be heterogeneous, which, in turn, will lead to excessive consumption of dry cement and low strength characteristics of the finished concrete.
Note! The term "concrete mixer" means a number of special construction mixers (hand / electric), that is, devices designed to produce a homogeneous cement-containing mixture by mixing the ingredients with dissimilar fractions.
As a rule, dry cement is mixed with water, special additives and fillers (the latter may be sand, expanded clay, sifting, gravel).
How is a concrete mixer arranged?
Standard design includes:
- bed (it can be both on the chassis, and stationary),
- kneading working bodies
- a container in which the direct kneading process takes place,
- unloading mechanism
- driving unit (it can be, for example, gasoline or electric).
We will get acquainted with each of the structural components in more detail.
- So, the bed is a structure made of profiles / pipes and designed to connect all parts of the concrete mixer in one system. If the unit is small, then the bed can be equipped with two / four wheels to make it easier to transport.
- Kneading bodies often include blades, screws and other parts that act directly on the ingredients of the concrete being kneaded.
- Capacity is an element in which all of these ingredients are mixed. Its volume and dimensions mainly depend on what the performance of the concrete mixer is.
- Unloading mechanism - as you can tell from the name, it is intended for concrete extraction for the purpose of further application in construction works. It may also be different.
- Finally, a transmission with a driving unit is needed to turn a particular energy into the movement of a kneading organ. As noted earlier, the engine is electric (most often used) or gasoline.
The main types of concrete mixers
There are several classifications of the aggregate described in the article, according to which it is divided by one or another parameter. So, according to the principle of its action, concrete mixers come in five varieties.
- Gravity. Differ in that the drum for mixing the solution rotates under the influence of gravity. The best option for the preparation of viscous and hard concrete.
- Forced. Do it yourself more difficult to make a concrete mixer, where the container does not move, and the blades inside it mix the components of the mixture. Such units are rarely used in private construction.
- Periodic. They are characterized by low power, and therefore need frequent stops. But for private construction, this is a perfectly acceptable option.
- Gear (better known as crowns).
- Permanent. Such concrete mixers, judging by the name, function continuously, and therefore are used mainly for large volumes of work.
In addition, the type of concrete produced can be of two types.
Consider each of these options in more detail.
Option number 1. Mortar mixers
Simple equipment designed for private construction. It is designed for mixing components whose fraction size is more than 2 centimeters. Also, units can be industrial (if the volume does not exceed 1200 liters) and for private use (over 30 liters).
As a rule, all ingredients are mixed in the mortar mixers forcibly, for which a horizontal screw is used, which rotates in an immovable container.If the volume of the unit is more than 100 liters, then it is mandatory to be equipped with dispensers. And if the volume of the equipment exceeds 250 liters, then, as a rule, it will include the following elements:
- mixing container
- drive unit,
- a rotating shaft having blades.
Note! Small mixers than the volume does not exceed 65 liters are emptied by tipping the drum. If the volume is larger, then a hatch is used for this, which is located at the bottom of the device.
Option number 2. Concrete mixers
They are designed for use with components, than the size of the fractions is not more than 7 centimeters. All units of this type are classified in the same way as described in one of the previous sections of the article.
In addition, according to the characteristics of the installation, they can be:
- mobile (this includes both concrete mixers with the chassis, and units without it),
- stationary (often for industrial purposes, characterized by increased productivity),
We also note that, depending on the type of drive and energy source, all concrete mixers are divided into several varieties.
- With a manual drive. They are characterized by the fact that they are able to transform the muscular efforts of a person into the rotation of a kneading organ. The transmission is in most cases a chain gear or belt. Such concrete mixers are not very common, because their volume is insignificant, and they do not facilitate the work very much.
- With a motor-drive. A concrete mixer (made with one’s own hands) of this kind operates on a diesel / gasoline engine.
- With pneumatic and hydraulic drive. The mixing organs in this case move due to the conversion of the energy of compressed air or liquid, which are supplied under high pressure. Such equipment is exclusively for industrial use, because it needs powerful additional devices.
- Electric. The most popular varieties of concrete mixers today, not only industrial but also domestic. The range of such units is quite extensive, and their volume varies from 30 to several thousand liters.
Benefits of using
There are several of them, let us consider in more detail each of them.
- Manual units, in fact, are completely autonomous.
- But the crown concrete mixer is quite easy to use and, if necessary, repair.
- Equipment with a motor-drive is also quite autonomous, since it only needs fuel.
Disadvantages of use
- For electrical appliances, this is the opening of the hatch some time after the cessation of electricity supply and, as a result, the discharge of concrete (otherwise it will freeze).
- In addition, concrete mixers are, in principle, seasonal. Most of them (especially small units) cannot be used at sub-zero temperatures. As a result of this, a steam generator is additionally used in winter.
- Separately, it is worth highlighting the disadvantages of motor-drive devices - this is the high cost of the fuel used, a high noise level during operation, as well as exhaust toxicity.
- A simple mortar mixer, capable of operating at a temperature not lower than +2 degrees, does not have equipment that provides heating of the mixture.
- The productivity of manual units is quite low, while the complexity of kneading, on the contrary, is high.
Its main function is the quick and high-quality preparation of material of a given brand. The operational characteristics will depend on how evenly the initial mixture of components is mixed.
Therefore, when searching for solutions to questions about what characteristics a mixer should have, how to make it yourself from improvised materials, you need to focus on industrially manufactured analogues in terms of such parameters as:
- Working volume.
- The number of revolutions.
- Kneading time.
- Ease of loading components and unloading the finished solution.
Why it is undesirable to interfere manually
Of course, you can mix the original components with your own hands with the help of a shovel in a container suitable for this. However, it should be remembered that in order to bring the mixture to the desired consistency, you need to use a lot of physical labor.
In addition, the manufacture of a large volume in this way, for example, for pouring a house foundation, will take a very long time. Also, it will not be possible to guarantee that the components will be well mixed and the final solution will have the desired characteristics.
Option # 1 - manual concrete mixer from a barrel
The simplest version of a concrete mixer is a device driven by manual force.
The manual unit in the process of operation involves the involvement of great muscle strength. However, if the tank is not full, the woman will be able to move the concrete mixer
Thinking of how to make a concrete mixer for home use, many owners are trying to choose an option that does not involve large financial costs. The best option is to make a device from a metal barrel and a frame welded from corners and rods.
A barrel with a lid with a capacity of 100 liters or more is perfect as a container. Holes are drilled from the ends of the cover to accommodate the shaft, and flanges with bearings are mounted to the bottom of the cover. After that, a hatch will be cut out on the side of the cylinder - a rectangular hole of 30x30 cm. It is advisable to place the hatch closer to the end face, which will be located on the bottom side during operation.
To tightly fit the manhole cover during operation of the device, soft rubber should be glued along the edges of the manhole. To fix the cut piece on the barrel, use loops on the nuts and bolts or any lock using hinges.
The shaft must be placed at an angle of 30 degrees, and the structure is fixed on a frame made of corners 50x50 mm. The finished structure must be dug into the ground or tightly fixed to the surface. The shaft can be made of two steel rods d = 50 mm.
The design is ready to go. It remains only to fill all the components into the tank, close it with a lid and use the handle to perform 10-15 revolutions
To unload the finished solution from the tank, it is necessary to substitute any container under the barrel and throw the mixed solution through the open hatch of the barrel turned upside down.
Types of Concrete Mixers
Having previously studied the mechanism of operation of concrete mixers and their characteristics, it will be possible to choose a structure suitable for the needs of a particular construction. After all, why complicate your work if you manage to do with a simple mechanical device?
On the other hand, loading the concrete mixer to the eyeballs, it will not be possible to finish pouring the foundation faster - this will lead to a banal overload of the engine and its early failure.
Mechanical or electrical?
Choosing the design of the future "assistant", you should immediately decide on the way it works:
- mechanical concrete mixers - work from a manual drive, when mixing a large amount of concrete, the gate needs to be twisted together,
- electric concrete mixers - operate from the network, but connecting a motor requires a good knowledge of auto mechanics.
If several strong and hardy people are involved in the construction, you can do with a hand-held concrete mixer. The ingredients of the mixture are loaded either simultaneously or alternately. The only inconvenience - designs with a movable barrel, rather than an internal shaft, do not allow water to be added during the mixing process. The barrel must be stopped, opened the hatch and fill the water. The hatch closes and the mixture interferes again.
Electric concrete mixers allow you to knead large volumes of concrete in the shortest possible time, while one person does an excellent job.It should be borne in mind that high-power motors require a three-phase network, therefore, when choosing the volume of the tank, the motor power should be calculated in advance. If only the 220 V line is brought to the yard, you will have to forget about heavy solutions.
Forced, gravitational or vibrational?
Its construction will also depend on the principle of operation of the concrete mixer:
- forced-action concrete mixers are characterized by a fixed tank in which the blades mounted on the shaft rotate,
- Gravity concrete mixers mix concrete by rotating the container itself, in which the blades are rigidly fixed to the walls,
- vibrating concrete mixers cannot boast of high productivity, but they provide a high-quality and homogeneous mixture without bubbles.
At the same time, both gravity and forced action of the concrete mixer can be both mechanical and electrical. The whole difference is that a forced-action mechanical mixer has a horizontal axis, and an electric one can have a vertical one.
For their manufacture you will need a metal container. The most elementary option is a metal barrel with walls from 2.5 mm thick.
Home-made vibrating concrete mixers are available to every hammer drill owner. And although it’s not possible to fill the foundation with their help, it’s quite realistic to make a jellied floor in the bathroom or to mix the tile solution. At the same time, the design is nowhere simpler and does not require the direct involvement of a person. So even a woman can handle the job.
Concrete Mixer Volume
An important selection criterion is the capacity of the future concrete mixer. For example, for foundation works, a minimum capacity of 200 liters is required. It should be borne in mind that the finished mixture will be 15-25% less - depending on the capabilities of the download.
Manually, such a volume of concrete can be kneaded, although it is quite difficult - the hand will get tired.
A home-made device has another significant drawback - the mixture is often dumped in full. Therefore, it is better to take care in advance of a wheelbarrow of appropriate capacity. If it is possible to make a partial reset mechanism, it is better not to take the time to create it. This will greatly simplify the operation of capacious electric concrete mixers and allow you to work together, loading two cars.
How to make a homemade concrete mixer with your own hands?
Carrying out almost any construction work in your home requires the use of concrete mortar. Those who have a concrete mixer are very lucky, because this unit greatly simplifies the process of mixing the mortar.
Barrel Concrete Mixer
But even if you don’t have one, in this article we will talk about how to make a concrete mixer with your own hands at home and what you need for the manufacturing process of the device.
Types of homemade concrete mixers
The whole variety of devices is divided into mechanical (manual) and drive modifications. The latter are most often equipped with an electric motor.
Table of artisanal aggregates and their properties:
|Type of concrete mixer||Characteristics, advantages and disadvantages|
- Easy to make.
- Minimum financial costs.
- It does not require energy consumption.
- It allows you to make a solution of the required brand and volume much faster and better.
- It requires manual power to act.
- To prepare a large volume, the method is too time- and labor-consuming.
Handmade homemade mixers are suitable for preparing a small volume of the mixture and with a limited project budget.
- No manual labor required.
- Not limited by the volume of the prepared solution.
- The produced mixture is of the highest quality.
- For the manufacture of the device requires certain knowledge and skills.
- To bring to work you need a connection to the mains.
The volume of the drum (the container in which the components are mixed) in the electrical unit is determined by the operating parameters and engine power.
A device of this type is suitable for work on medium and large projects.
Vibratory Concrete Mixer
The presence of a mixer nozzle is mandatory for any construction work. But keeping a drill while it kneads the solution in a bucket is difficult and time is wasted. If there is a hammer with manual activation of the percussion mechanism, you can quickly produce a vibrating concrete mixer:
- You will need a hammer drill with a power of 1-1.3 kW. Less powerful ones will be ineffective.
- A vibrator is made - the main active part of the concrete mixer. An improperly made vibrator simply does not mix concrete. Its shape should resemble a biconvex lens - flat edges and a convex middle. For example, it can be folded and fixed metal plates. The diameter of the disk is calculated on the basis of 20 cm per 1 kW. For a 1.3 kW rotary hammer, you need a vibrator with a diameter of 25 cm.
- Round capacity is selected. The distance from its walls to the vibrator should be equal to its radius. So, for a vibrator with a diameter of 25 cm, you need a container with a diameter of 50 cm.
- Mounting bracket for punch. The position of the vibrator is calculated so that its distance to the bottom is equal to its diameter, in this example it is 25 cm. The amount of solution above the vibrator should be the same.
The readiness of the solution during the operation of such a concrete mixer is determined by the absence of rising bubbles and the formation of small waves on the surface. If cement or sand is of poor quality, the solution may not form waves. Then the mixture is ready when it stops stirring and gurgling.
Barrel-driven concrete mixer
If the production of 98 liters of concrete at a time is not enough, you can make a manual two-liter concrete mixer.
You will need the actual two-liter metal barrel, a metal pipe with a diameter of 2-3 cm, flanges, a grinder and a welding machine:
- In the barrel, a loading hole is cut and two opposite holes for the pipe, which will be the axis. The axis can be threaded both through the center of the barrel and diagonally. In the second case, the mixture will mix better.
2-3 blades are welded to the walls from the inside of the barrel so that the mixture does not stick to the walls and mix better. The blades should run along the entire barrel, but not fit close to the walls - otherwise the solution will constantly accumulate in the joints.
A similar design is also in the open type concrete mixer. Only instead of a movable barrel do the blades spin inside, which are also driven by human efforts. For its manufacture, you will need the barrel itself, and pipes of round and rectangular cross-section. The barrel is laid on its side, the top is cut off from it. It is better to leave as many barrels as possible - so that you can knead more concrete.
Holes for the shaft are cut on the sides. But, unlike the gravity concrete mixer, the blades are welded onto the shaft itself. You can use any parts, even the blades from the combine!
The mixture is also unloaded by flipping the entire barrel.
Such concrete mixers are a very budget option, but require the constant participation of two workers. If you have to work alone, you will need a device with an electric motor. For example, an open type option can be quickly improved by connecting an engine to it.
Electric "factory" concrete mixers
Not having confident welder skills, it is better not to try to repeat factory models of concrete mixers yourself. But with an experienced neighbor, you can make excellent equipment from almost nothing! Moreover, such a concrete mixer will last more than 10 years, helping in the construction of the entire country community.
Home-made gravity scrap metal mixer
You should immediately determine the volume of the concrete mixer.
After that, you will have to travel to recycling points and auto dismantling in search of the necessary details:
- sheets of metal with a thickness of 2.5 mm for the walls and 5 mm for the bottom of the pear,
- flywheel from a car, for example, from Volga or MAZ, a hub and a bendix for the mechanism of rotation of a pear,
- bearings for overturning pears (you can do with a pipe-to-pipe system, generously lubricating the oarlock),
- metal pipes of square section and different diameters - for the base, seat and swivel wheel.
When all the materials are collected, you can proceed directly to the manufacture of the concrete mixer:
- Guided by a diagram or drawing for a pear of the required volume, details are drawn on a thick sheet of paper and transferred to sheets of metal.
The elements of the body are bent and welded together. You can bend steel with a sledgehammer, even if the individual parts do not turn out perfectly smooth, when welded together they will take the desired shape.
While the pear is not welded together, a rotation mechanism is attached to its lower part, cut out of 5 mm steel. It is advisable to make it removable - it is easier to transport a collapsible concrete mixer.
Pear parts are cooked together. First, the central and lower parts are combined. To do this, the edges of the central rim are notched and bent inward to limit the exit of the lower part. The lower part is inserted through the top into the central rim and is pushed down with a sledgehammer by pushing it with a sledgehammer. When the edges are aligned, they can be welded.
The tipping mechanism needs to be done on the flywheel with the gear - so to tilt the full capacity will turn out even one. You can weld a hexagonal wheel or fit any other.
Basically, the concrete mixer is ready. If desired, it can be painted - to protect the metal from corrosion, although during operation it will still acquire a classic gray color.
Tin pan forced type concrete mixer
If there is a 100-liter Soviet wide pan in which no one has boiled anything for a long time, it can be adapted to the case.
If it is not, you can order a pot with a diameter of 60 cm and a depth of 50 cm from a familiar tinsmith. After this, it remains only to adjust the mechanism, the blades and make the hatch:
- The center of the tank is marked - this is where the shaft will be located. A hatch is cut for unloading the mixture. Rectangular cut easier, but then the whole mixture will break into a wheelbarrow. It is better to make a rotary semicircular hatch.
To do this, a rod is welded to the center of the cut out semicircle, on which the hatch will turn. To prevent the mixture from leaking out, a strip is welded over the hatch cut, under which the curtain will move.
The central shaft is installed. The shaft drawing is simple, the main thing is to choose bearings for it.
In an inverted state, an engine with a gearbox is mounted on the installed bearing. In order to reliably fix the engine and ensure the necessary belt tension, the engine is mounted on rails welded to the bottom of the tank.
To strengthen the frame of the tank made of steel with a thickness of 2 mm, a rim from a steel bar or pipe is necessarily welded along the upper edge. You can also make stiffeners on the sides and bottom of the tank.
After the wheels, support and rotation mechanism are installed, the whole structure can be turned over. The blades are mounted on the shaft and everything is fixed with one bolt - so that the structure is easily collapsible. It is important to think carefully about the position of the blades-blades - one should remove the solution from the walls, the second should separate it from the bottom, and a few more - mix the middle.
You can do with a design of scrap and crosses from a water flange. If the blades are made movable, their position can be adjusted depending on the type of mixture.
The forced-action concrete mixer is ready! In it, you can mix almost any mixture, make them liquid or dense, add crushed stone of large and small fractions. The same concrete mixer, but horizontal type, can be made, guided by the drawing.
The process of assembling a concrete mixer from a steel barrel is presented in the video:
This is one of the simplest ways to make the necessary construction equipment with a minimum of costs!
Preparation of the main elements
To make a concrete mixer it is necessary to prepare:
- Metal tank
- Electric motor
- Drive shaft,
- Metal corners or rods d = 50 mm for blades,
- Two bearings
- Elements for the frame.
Using a barrel with a capacity of 200 liters per load, it will be possible to get up to 7-10 buckets of ready-made mortar, sufficient for one cycle of construction work.
For the manufacture of concrete mixers, you can use ready-made barrels, or weld a container of 1.5 mm sheet steel. However, for this you need to have certain turning skills.
To increase the mixing properties of the unit, the tank can be equipped with screw blades. You can weld them in their corners or rods, placing them at an angle of 30 degrees and giving them the shape of the inner contours of the tub.
For such a concrete mixer, you can use an engine from any equipment (for example: a washing machine). But when choosing a drive motor, it is better to choose one that is capable of providing a rotation speed of 1500 rpm, and the shaft rotation speed would not exceed 48 rpm.Thanks to these characteristics, you can get high-quality concrete mix without dry impregnations. For operation of the main power module, an additional gearbox and belt pulleys will also be required.
On both sides of the container, holes are drilled to connect the shaft to the drum. The arrangement of the tank hatch takes place according to the same principle as when assembling a manual concrete mixer. A gear ring is welded to the bottom of the tank, which acts as part of the gearbox. A gear with a smaller diameter is also attached there.
To turn a conventional tank into an electric concrete mixer, it is necessary to insert a bearing with a large diameter into a piece of pipe, which will subsequently be welded to the tank, and then connect the shaft to the engine.
Supporting structure - the frame can be made of wooden beams or boards, metal channels, pipes or corners 45x45 mm
To make the supporting structure mobile, it is possible to equip it with wheels, which are mounted on the turned ends of an axis made of reinforcement d = 43 mm.
To facilitate work with the device, it is desirable to equip the concrete mixer with a rotary device. To assemble it is quite simple. To do this, by welding, it is necessary to connect two metal pipes d = 60 mm with two stops and bearing housings. It remains only to weld plugs and tilting handles to the device fixed in the frame bearings.
To fix the rotary device in the working position, it is necessary to drill a vertical hole in the front ring and in the pipe wall adjacent to it, where a wire pin with a diameter of 8 mm will be inserted.
To prepare, during mixing, its entire volume must be involved immediately. Therefore, it is more profitable, both in terms of energy consumption and productivity factor, to mix the mixture in the drum under the influence of gravity. In addition, such an installation is easier to manufacture at home.
Raw materials and equipment
To make such a device, you will need at least some metalwork skills, and the ability to combine them.
The easiest way is to make the design welded. Therefore, in addition to the set of necessary materials, you will also need a welding machine and, of course, a person who knows how to handle it.
As the source of reliable materials that allow you to use the mixer almost indefinitely, fit:
- A sufficiently thick metal container in the shape of a cylinder. It can be a barrel of 80-200 liters. However, the larger its volume and, accordingly, the mass of the feed mixture being loaded, the harder it will rotate.
- A metal bar (reinforcement with a diameter of 8-12 mm), a corner with an edge of 25 mm for a rack and handles.
- Couplings, hinges, bearings.
1 We will give a concrete mixer from a barrel
Wanting to save money, domestic craftsmen have long been practicing the manufacture of home-made units for mixing cement. Indeed, for a small amount of mortar, you can use a simple shovel and your own strength, but for large volumes a hand-made home-made concrete mixer from a barrel is better. This type of unit is manually controlled.
Using a barrel as a base is the easiest and cheapest option, especially if you have a barrel. And if it has a frame in the form of welded corners and rods, then this option is also very reliable.
Do-it-yourself concrete mixer can be made from a barrel, the capacity of which is one hundred liters or more. At the ends of the cover, it is necessary to drill several holes for installing the shaft, and flanges with bearings are placed on the bottom.
Then, on the side of the container, it is necessary to cut a hole through which the mixture will be loaded to make the solution. The optimal hole size is 30 × 30 cm.
Many people wondering how to make a concrete mixer with their own hands - face the problem of a loose fit of the hatch. To make the cover as close as possible to the structure, it is necessary to glue the sealing gum along the edges of the hole.
Directly, the hatch itself is attached to the body using conventional hinges. As for the shaft, in order for the forced-action concrete mixer to work normally, this element should be installed at an angle of at least 30 degrees.
Homemade electric concrete barrel mixer
The finished hand-held concrete mixer is mounted in the ground or is tightly mounted on the surface. It all depends on your imagination and capabilities. The manufacture of the shaft is allowed from several iron rods with a diameter of 0.5 cm.
In principle, the construction of this can be considered complete. For the first operation, load the elements of the future solution into the barrel and twist it until the mixture is ready. For unloading the resulting mortar, a concrete mixer of manual type it is installed by the tank so that the hatch is down.
Substituting the container, the opening opens and the mixture is removed. A hand-made home-made concrete mixer from a barrel will last longer if you process it with anti-corrosion agents from time to time.
Calculation of a concrete mixer pear for a volume of 0.25 cubic meters
A bit of math:
(SA) 2 = (Ev) 2 + (BB) 2
(CA) 2 = 402 + 152 = 182500mm2
CA = 427.2mm
OS = OX = d / 2 xCA = 200x427.2 = 85440 = 569.6 mm
D / 2 - d / 2 350-200 150
OA = OU = OS + CA = 569.6 + 427.2 = 996.8mm
АУ (on a circle) = АВ х 3,14 = 700х3,14 = 2198mm
Part two the simplest:
The dimensions of the rectangle are Ev on AU. That is, in this case 300mm to 2198mm
In order to get an uneven bottom of the concrete mixer pear, you need to cut a circle with a diameter larger than the diameter of the concrete mixer pear itself.
Here is an amateur: I took the diameter 740mm. It could have been more: then the bottom would have turned out steeper.
But we get it like this:
⌀740 x 3.14 = 2324mm
The circumference we need (700х3.14) = 2198 mm
We get the value X = 2324-2198 = 126 mm
Delete as shown. The inner diameter of the circle depends on the diameter of the rim used + 70 - 100 mm.
For the pear, 2.5 mm steel sheets were taken, aligned with a sledgehammer and cut according to pre-prepared drawings.
The bottom of the concrete mixer pear is made of 5 mm thick sheet steel.
DIY homemade concrete mixer. Complete guide
Construction is often associated with the constant use of a large amount of concrete, the mixing of which requires not only large expenditures of physical strength, but so expensive time.
The construction of a home-made concrete mixer, a device that allows you to quickly and easily prepare the required amount of the mixture in the right proportions and the required consistency, will facilitate or rather solve this problem.
Drawings and designs of home-made concrete mixers
The question of designing a home-made concrete mixer in principle rests on a very simple technical task to build:
- simple in design, with fewer parts and connections,
- using at the same time improvised, most affordable or simply low-value parts and mechanisms,
- reliable and unpretentious in work, including with minimal repair and maintenance costs.
With all the variety of ideas and technical solutions to the question of concrete preparation, all designs of concrete mixers basically come down to solving a simple problem - dry mechanical mixing, and after adding water and liquid mixture to obtain a homogeneous composition suitable for further construction work.
In view of this, the most popular units among home-made craftsmen are units based on:
- on the use of muscle strength
- using electric motors and various gearboxes,
- small cars using ordinary household power tools as a working tool.
By their type of construction, home-made concrete mixers can be divided into the following groups:
- using the gravitational mixing principle - simply to obtain a homogeneous mass by the usual turning of a container with cement and filler, when under the influence of gravity the mixture is repeatedly poured and mixed,
- forced-mechanical method of preparation of working concrete - most often this is an option when the solution is mixed in a horizontal or inclined container using an internal mixer. Variants are possible here - either the mixer itself rotates inside the stationary tub or the entire container rotates, with the mixer blades tightly fixed inside.
- vibration method - the method of preparing concrete in this case consists in mixing the components with the help of a vibration mixer placed inside the bucket. Such a mixer-vibrator that creates a sufficiently high frequency of vibration produces the movement of cement and filler.
At the same time, of the considered types of structures for independent manufacture, the first two types are most suitable, since the third vibrational method of preparing the mixture is the most technologically advanced and energy-consuming.
DIY walkthrough for making a concrete mixer
Getting to the practical stage of the project, it should be clear what characteristics the design should have.
Of paramount importance in this:
- the size of the working tank - tubs,
- the number and type of assemblies containing various rotating parts,
- unit design - it should provide reliable retention of the tub, be stable and at the same time relatively light.
Options for use as a container for the preparation of the mixture may be the mass:
- 40 liter milk concrete,
- gas bottles
The main issue when choosing a material should play its quality, thickness, the ability to fasten parts using electric welding.
For the horizontal type of location of the container, a lateral filling window is provided, with inclined, or with the possibility of changing the angle of inclination, buckets with a slightly narrowed neck of an open type are used, for convenient filling of the components of the solution.
Inside, to improve the quality of the prepared solution, metal blades are welded onto the blades, which contribute to better mixing of the components. Such blades are made of metal with a thickness of at least 2 mm.
To operate the working capacity of the mixer, the simplest for today are:
- manual drive - an elementary solution to this problem - an axis fixed on two supports, on which a bucket is fixed, on one side of the axis there is a curved end, such as that installed on wells,
- electric drive - an electric motor transmitting the rotation of the shaft with the help of a belt or gear transmission of a bucket. This is the most common version of drives of a home-made concrete mixer, however, it is poorly suited for work in unprepared areas without an electrical network,
As a mixer can be:
- metal rods with a diameter of 8 mm, welded in the form of combs and used in mixers with a fixed bucket, where only the central shaft rotates,
- sheet metal with a thickness of 3 mm or more, welded in the form of blades onto the walls of the mixer tank at an angle of 45 degrees to the bottom,
- standard mixer for electric drill mixer used in vibrating systems,
Devices, the drawings of which are in great abundance in the public domain, can have individual details, but in general a similar design. Therefore, the process of their manufacture is divided into the same stages.
Consider one of the simplest options:
- Prepare a container. It could be an old iron barrel. The main thing is that it be strong and tight enough, without cracks and holes.
- Make a small hatch in the middle of the side surface of the barrel. To do this, carefully cut a rectangle or square in it with a side of about 30 cm. From this segment, you need to make a door for the hatch, securing it to the hinges to the barrel.
During operation, the hatch must reliably and, most importantly, tightly close the barrel. To do this, it is better to use rubber seals. A strip of rubber can be glued around the perimeter of the hatch. The hatch itself needs to be closed before working on the bolt or ordinary door latch.
- Next, the drum (barrel with a hatch) must be fixed on a rotating axis, which in turn is mounted on a reliable frame (See, as shown in the photo). The connection of the axis attached to the barrel with the frame of the rack can be either with the help of tightly clamping her clamps, or through couplings with bearings.
Note! Fastening to the barrel axis (bottom and top) is carried out by welding. To do this, you need to prepare crosses that will increase the area of contact of the axis with the surface of the drum and thereby increase the area and reliability of fastening.
- The rack on which the drum is mounted with a fixed handle and an axis for rotation is made of durable material - metal corners, pipes, fittings, bars or boards of sufficient thickness.
Simple mechanical concrete mixer
The simplest and most effective option for a budget concrete mixer.
The design of such an apparatus consists of:
- the base in the form of welded from corners, pipes or a profile of a stable base capable of withstanding the rotation of the barrel with 50-7 kg of concrete mortar,
- a bucket is usually a barrel, a milk can, a metal container under the paint, or a part of a gas cylinder with a hermetically sealed neck, and a shaft in the central part, mounted on the base, on bearings or bushings,
- handle for manual rotation of the bucket, in large versions of devices to facilitate rotation provides handles on both sides of the barrel, for simultaneous work of two people in order to facilitate work,
The base is a square to two opposite sides of which the sidewalls are welded in the form of two triangles (a triangle is the most stable and rigid figure) on the top of which the ball of rotation of the ball is fixed on bearings.
1.1 Electrical unit
If you are interested in how to make a concrete mixer with your own hands, but you want to get a more perfect unit than with manual control, then this instruction is for you.
A home-made hand-held concrete mixer from a barrel can not be compared with an electric unit, at least because in the case of the latter, obtaining a cement mortar will take significantly less effort. So, the manufacture of the structure will require you to prepare certain materials, a list of which is given below.
1.2 What is needed?
- Capacity that will interfere with cement. You can also use a small barrel or other metal tank.
- The electric motor from the washing machine. You can choose another, but the motor from the washing machine usually withstands heavy loads. Moreover, the engine of the washing machine, especially the old one, is not so difficult to find.
- Drive shaft.
- Armature for blades. You can use ordinary metal corners.
- Several bearings.
- Metal elements for the manufacture of the frame.
Using the engine from a washing machine and a barrel with a capacity of about two hundred liters, you can get from seven to ten buckets of cement in one go. On average, this is enough for one cycle of construction work.
Support stand for concrete mixer welded from corners
In order for the electric type aggregate to more efficiently interfere with the solution, the container can be additionally equipped with screw blades. They are installed at an angle of 30 degrees.
If you don’t have a motor from the washing machine, you can look for an engine with a rotation speed of about one and a half thousand revolutions per minute. It is desirable that the shaft rotation speed be no more than 48 revolutions.
Using a motor with such parameters for the production of the unit, you can achieve the most optimal mixing results: the solution will be high-quality, and there will be no dry lumps in it. In addition, so that the engine runs in normal mode and does not fail you at the most crucial moment, You will need to install a gearbox as well as belt pulleys.
1.3 Proceed to the assembly of the unit
How to make a concrete mixer at home using an engine from a washing machine or other device - read below:
- On both sides of the barrel or other reservoir, drill holes that will connect the shaft to the drum.
- As for the hole for loading and unloading the mixture, it is equipped according to the same principle as in the case of a manual design.
- On the bottom of the tank should be installed ring gear, protruding part of the gearbox. It is also necessary to mount a gear with a small diameter.
- Now the most crucial moment. In order for an ordinary barrel to become an electric concrete mixer, you need to insert a bearing with a large diameter into a piece of pipe, which will be welded to the container. After that, the shaft itself should be connected to the motor.
- In order to make the operation of the electric concrete mixer more convenient and, if necessary, it can be moved around the construction site, the structure can be equipped with wheels. The wheels are mounted on the turned ends of an axis made of metal reinforcement. The diameter in this case should be 40-45 mm.
- Another important point. To simplify work with the unit, it can be additionally equipped with a rotary mechanism. If you do not know how to do this, then there is nothing complicated. Using welding, you need to connect two pieces of a metal pipe with a diameter of 50-60 mm with several stops, as well as bearing housings. After that, the device will only have to weld the plugs and handles.
Concrete mixer with electric drive
2 Typical mistakes in the manufacture of concrete mixer
In practice, craftsmen in the manufacture of concrete mixers often make mistakes that entail certain problems. In order not to encounter this, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with all the nuances in advance:
- First of all, any working tank, whether it is a metal barrel or another container, must be of the highest quality. Therefore, make sure that there are no holes in your barrel, that it does not show any signs of corrosion or other mechanical damage.
- Do not forget that the instruction is written specifically so that you can get a high-quality unit. Therefore, follow the points indicated as detailed as possible. If you deviate from actions, as a result, they will be inconsistent with each other, respectively, there is a high probability of getting a poor-quality concrete mixer.
- Consider the fact that metal structural elements can not be cooked to cast iron. The manufacturing process of the concrete mixer itself is not particularly easy, and such errors will only complicate it.
- Also remember that it is better not to overload the concrete mixer with mass. It is better to start several mixing cycles than to break the unit at a time.
If you adhere to the rules described in the instructions and take into account all the mistakes that can be made in the process, you can save a lot of money.
For the tank, you need to choose a solid, not decrepit barrel
In order for the unit to turn out to be of high quality, you will need a minimum of building materials and tools, but you need to be most careful.
DIY concrete mixer - how and what to make yourself
This article is suitable for any amateur builder who, in his spare time from his main job, tries to equip his life in a summer cottage. In construction, concrete is indispensable.Even if you are making a house out of wooden beams, you will definitely need a reinforced concrete foundation or piles. And kneading a couple of times with his hands a concrete solution in a bucket or trough with a drill or shovel, an inquiring mind begins to look for less labor-intensive ways.
Do you need a concrete mixer?
There are several options. You can order home delivery and the next day the mixer truck will bring the required number of cubic meters. Perhaps this option is not entirely economical. More hardworking owners can buy a concrete mixer, it is compact and equipped with an electric motor to mix the mortar. Throw cement, sand, water and crushed stone in it in the necessary proportions, and only manage to release the concrete mixer, pouring out solution from it. It's cheaper, but you still have to buy such a concrete mixer.
But there is another option: to make a concrete mixer with your own hands. Yes, it is possible if there are drawings. You will spend time on this, but it will more than pay off for you. Moreover, the device is not as complicated as it seems at first glance. Concrete mixer has a simple principle:
- there’s a tub or something like a flask where a solution is mixed,
- the drive, that is, the mechanism by which the bucket rotates and mixing occurs,
- the frame connecting it all together.
The concrete mixer still has additional small details, which will be described below, but these three are basic. And now let's delve into the nuances of making a homemade concrete mixer.
What is a concrete mixer
According to the mixing method, concrete mixers are mainly divided into four types: gravity, mechanical, vibration and combined. We will tell a little about each in order to have a little idea about this and so that you can choose your own one. After all, it can be used for completely different needs: basically it is the foundation (at home, a fence, and much more), but different building materials can be cast from it in shape. Blocks of cement, wood concrete and other.
A unit of this type is the simplest option both in manufacture and in use. A do-it-yourself hand-held concrete mixer, the bucket of which simply rotates along the axis, and the components of the solution are mixed by gravity. For large volumes, this option is not suitable, because it does not provide good mixing. But if you always knead the solution in small quantities and you did not need more, then this option may well work.
Making this type of hand-made concrete mixer with your own hands is not such a simple matter. The basic principle is that the solution remains motionless, and all the mixing work is assigned to the vibrator. There are many nuances here that, if not taken into account, will only lead to lost time.
The bucket must be round, not wide, but high, similar to the shape of a Soviet washing machine. The vibrator should be strictly defined in shape, similar to two low plates stacked together. Actually, at home, two metal plates are the best option. The vibrator should not be too large, its size depends on the volume of the mixing vessel. If you overdo it in the choice of size, then even with visible work, he will still not mix. And the last: the location of the vibrator inside the vessel is strictly along the axis, the distance to the bottom of the barrel is equal to the diameter of the vibrator.
If all these conditions are met, the perfect solution from your barrel is provided. But with poor quality sand or cement will have to mix a little longer. One minus: high power consumption. And in no case do not try to use a perforator as a barrel vibrator. Many craftsmen tried to make a concrete mixer, but most often failed.
How easy is it to make a device?
Very often, in addition to the question of how to make a concrete mixer at home, the question arises whether it is worth making it or buying a factory at all?
Sometimes the manufacture of such a device will require large expenditures, efforts, time and services of specialists. Therefore, it is possible to start manufacturing it not only when there are drawings, but also all the conditions, materials and experience in mechanics and metalworking.
Terms of Creation
All questions about what a stirrer is, how to make its own working model with your own hands, and what skills and abilities are required in this case must be resolved in advance.
- For example, during the course of work you will need experience in electric welding. If there is none, or there is no one who could help, then it is better not to get down to business. During the manufacturing process, you will need a lot of materials, devices and mechanisms.
- The final price, and in general, the benefit of this enterprise, depends on their availability in free and cheap access. It is good when all the necessary materials and devices can be found in the pantries of your household or, in extreme cases, inexpensively purchase them.
- An experienced mechanic, designer, locksmith or a person with experience in similar jobs is best to know how to make the unit with your own hands (drawings, even if they were perfect, cannot help by themselves create a device for concrete preparation).
Note! To improve the mixing process of the mixture, blades can be made on the inner surface of the drum. It can be several corners with a 50 mm rib, securely tacked to the weld.
Drum rotation axis
The drum can rotate not only strictly along the horizontal axis, as in the considered example, but also with a different angle of inclination. Moreover, the container may have a tilt function to facilitate the release of material.
A video on how to make a home-made concrete mixer shows which modifications are available for manufacture and what difficulties have to be overcome during their creation.
Stationary and mobile
Whether the home-made concrete mixer should be stationary or mobile, depends on the conditions and characteristics of work on the construction site. If the work involves moving over a large area, then it is better to give preference to the mobile version.
According to the mixing mechanism
Many people want to know how to make a concrete mixer with their own hands (video instruction) in order to speed up the process of manufacturing concrete as much as possible. Mixers with a forced mixing mechanism have a maximum production speed. However, such devices are quite complicated for self-manufacturing, and also consume a lot of energy.
Horizontal drum mixer
A simple and efficient version of the mixer.
- buckets, with a hinged lid, and a locking mechanism,
- a shaft of rotation on bearings or bushings with a handle for rotation,
A design feature is the location of the barrel horizontally or the installation of the shaft diagonally through opposite sides of the bottom and neck of the barrel.
Combined horizontal with combs
In this embodiment, homemade inside the barrel on a working rotating shaft are attached two or three combs, resembling a rake. The combs are made of a metal rod, strip, or other material, so that when rotating, mix concrete, passing between the teeth.
The combs along the shaft are mounted so that between them there is an angle of 180, 120 or 90 degrees from the central axis. The base is made on the principle of the rest of the concrete mixers. Draining the finished solution is usually done by tipping the tub or by opening the drain neck.
This version of the mixer is considered as the pinnacle of the engineering abilities of homemade in the field of concrete mixers. In fact, this is a copy of an industrial mixer.
But, while having a number of features:
- instead of the gear ring used in industrial units for home-made analogues, a drive is used through a gearbox or a gear transmission to a barrel, sometimes the latter to track rollers,
- In this case, the bucket-barrel, as well as the industrial prototype, has a narrowing in the upper part of the body, and inside the spiral side-welded 2-3 side mixer blades to improve mixing of the solution,
- the base is designed taking into account the retention of the weight of the container with the filled mortar and the possibility of its overturning to drain the finished concrete,
- most commonly used as a drive:
- an electric motor with a belt drive to the barrel rotation shaft,
- electric motor with gear transmission to the barrel.
Among the indisputable advantages of such a machine are ease of operation and minimal labor costs when working, but minus is the accurate calculation of all components and parts, the presence of almost professional knowledge and skills when working with many tools, including electric welding.
Combined Concrete Mixer
This type of concrete mixer is a combination of a gravity and mechanical installation. The solution rotates in a horizontal or inclined plane, and protrusions are made inside the vessel itself, further helping to mix the components. They are usually made of metal plates of various shapes, which are welded to the inside of the flask. This type of concrete mixer allows you to mix a large volume solution, the mixing quality is also good. Welding plates in a concrete mixer is not difficult, therefore this type is the most widely used. In the future, we will focus on this type of concrete mixer.
We make a concrete mixer
The theory is over. Let's get to practice. Now we will consider in detail how to make a concrete mixer with your own hands. This process must be divided into several stages. We know that a concrete mixer consists of three main components: a bucket mixer, a drive and a frame. If everything is clear with the drive, it can be either manual or mechanical, when a concrete mixer uses a gearbox and an electric motor, then we will focus on the manufacture of a bucket and frame in more detail. If at work there are drawings at hand, then it will be generally wonderful.
Making a bucket
The most popular item used as a mixing vessel is standard 200 liter barrels. With some reservations, it is suitable for any type of home-made concrete mixer. You can use the housing of the washing machine, if it is strong enough. But it would be too simple, our goal is to make the tub ourselves.
Firstly, the material. For walls, we take metal with a thickness of at least 2 mm, for the bottom - at least 5 mm. Secondly, the form. It is cylindrical, but at the top in the neck should narrow in the form of a cone.
Let’s write down the sequence of actions by points:
- We make a flange hub. You can find her drawings and do it yourself, but it’s better to buy a ready-made one. The part is important, but not easy to manufacture.
- We make the bottom of sheet steel with a minimum thickness of 5 mm. In the very center we drill holes and attach the hub flange.
- We cut out from the metal 2 mm thick the five main parts of the body - the shell (it folds and a cylinder is obtained) and four petals, which are then fastened together to form a cone.
- We connect the bottom, the shell and the cone using a welding machine and get the base of the barrel for mixing.
- We strengthen the neck so that subsequently it does not deform. To do this, we weld a reinforcing rod of 10 mm to its circumference.
- Inside the barrels we weld crosswise dissectors. Usually two or three is enough. They are also made of reinforcement, but more durable, or from metal plates. The main thing is to bend them at a right angle. They will mix the solution. In addition, due to them, a home-made concrete mixer will be stronger.
When the bucket mixer is ready, you can begin to manufacture the frame.
The frame is the support of the whole structure. The bucket, drive and gear are attached to it. For good stability, the legs of the support are welded, and to make it easy to move the concrete mixer, even filled with mortar, wheels are installed. The frame design itself can be different, the main thing is to maintain stability during operation of the entire device. Many craftsmen for this fit various unnecessary metal parts assembled at the corners of the summer cottage.
Concrete mixer frame drawing
- The concrete mixer is based on a T-shaped structure, due to which a home-made concrete mixer will stand stably on the surface. The first rack is vertically welded to it.
- A transverse beam is welded to the second pillar, at the edges of which the wheels are attached.
- Both racks are fastened together at the bottom by a beam (this makes the structure more stable) and above the subframe, which will subsequently serve as the basis for attaching the tub.
- Reinforce the frame with an inclined rack, to which a capacitor box and a starter are attached. These two devices are used to turn on the rotation mechanism.
- The subframe is made of two pipes and a corner. It looks like a double frame fastened with jumpers.
- An electric motor and gearbox are installed on the subframe.
- The hub flange, which is already attached to the bucket, is mounted on the gearbox. To fix the mixer, a key is used and it is finally fixed with a bolt through the hole on the shaft.
- A handle is attached to the subframe, which allows you to tilt the tub mixer at different angles.
- At the end, the frame is protected from scale and coated with metal paint. The tub can also be painted, but only outside, inside the barrel is not necessary.
Now the do-it-yourself concrete mixer is ready for use! You can fill the foundation, install poles, fill in the forms of building blocks from wood concrete and much more.
If there is no electricity
There are times when you need to start construction on a site where electricity has not yet been supplied. Then the engine is useless to us, but we will use manual force. The sequence of actions during manufacture remains exactly the same, only the drive is replaced by two handles - on one side and the other. The disadvantage is that you have to make great efforts to mix and take more time. But for short and small works, this option can be considered quite acceptable.
Use of concrete mixer
A concrete mixer is rarely used in one place. Often you have to drag it or roll it over the entire area, so prepare an extension cord of sufficient length in advance. The components are loaded into a tub with a slope of 20-40 degrees in the following order: water, cement, sand, and lastly crushed stone, gravel, expanded clay is poured.
For a complete mixing of concrete mortar or mixtures of arbolite, from 3 to 5 minutes are enough, then the tub is tilted with the handle, and the mortar is poured into the place prepared for this. Immediately you can fill up a new portion of the components and continue to work.
After a hard day, the device, all its joints and seams must be thoroughly washed. Usually this happens in the evening, when there is not much strength left and I want to leave everything, because the next day she will have to get dirty again. Do not be lazy. Even in such a situation, it is better to wash the concrete mixer, this will increase its service life.
Building blocks made of wood concrete
Arbolite blocks consist mainly of two components. In addition to various chemical additives, these are sawdust and wood chips, as well as Portland cement, a hydraulic binder. Such blocks are valuable in that houses from them retain heat very well. Therefore, blocks made of wood concrete are an excellent solution for building walls of a warm house.As for the properties of arbolite, this is low thermal conductivity, increased bending strength, does not support combustion, and is easy to process.
Useful and important tips
Imagine that everything worked out for you and now you - the owner of a very useful thing in construction - is a concrete mixer. But so that its service life does not end with one foundation or a set fence, and the thing has served you for a long and long time, you will have to follow safety rules and take care of it:
- Watch out for cables and contact connections. They must be well insulated. The work takes place in conditions of high humidity and water spray, therefore, the requirements of electrical safety rules come first,
- The vibration that accompanies the work of the concrete mixer relaxes the threaded connections of your makeshift tub. Therefore, periodically check them and tighten. And do not forget about welds, they can also be broken,
- Before turning on the device, make sure that it is stable. All standard supports should abut against the ground, and under the wheels it is advisable to install wheel chocks,
- It is impossible to check the quality of the mortar during the operation of the concrete mixer, there are frequent cases of serious industrial injuries,
- Use skin and eye protection
- Never leave a working concrete mixer unattended.
In conditions of total savings, when the budget for construction works is limited, and this is not surprising today, many save on the quality of building materials or on the services of third-party craftsmen. But there are such craftsmen who also save on construction equipment. Of course, making a drill or an electric planer is a dubious occupation. But the concrete mixer, despite its apparent complexity and bulkiness, is ideally suited for this, even for home production of blocks from wood concrete. You could be convinced of it in our article.
To summarize. A small number of parts, some of which can be found directly on your site. Homemade concrete mixer has a simple scheme, drawings and manufacturing sequence. Tools also need a little: grinder, welding, work with a drill, and possibly a soldering iron. Of consumables: bolts, nuts, washers, metal sheet and corner. The main thing is to clearly define in advance why you need it and what you want to see as a result of your work. Then your concrete mixer will not concede to any industrial production, even if it is made from the body of a washing machine.
(3 Votes: 4,67 out of 5)
The essence of the work and varieties of concrete mixers
A device that helps mix cement, aggregates and water to a homogeneous state is called a concrete mixer. After the ingredients are served in her drum, mixing begins. Its duration is set by the user, and the result is a concrete mix.
According to the principle of action, the equipment is:
- with forced mixing
- with gravitational mixing.
The first option assumes that the tank does not move in the machine, but the mixture of a specially shaped blade is mixed.
In gravitational apparatuses, the drum rotates, and inside it are located the blades. Due to their installation method, repeated falling and lifting of the mixture, the mass reaches the desired condition. Such aggregates are noteworthy in that they can mix both mortar and hard concrete mixes.
Manual concrete mixer can be made from a barrel
Important unit specifications
Today, there are various options for such a technique. For example, enterprises need huge mobile concrete mixers. Such equipment is not required at home. For small batches there are special mini-concrete mixers. They are powered by electricity, and the drum is attached to the base on wheels. Therefore, it is convenient for the user to move the unit around the site.In addition, the design is also convenient in that the container can be rotated along the horizontal axis to unload concrete onto the wheelbarrow.
To increase the efficiency of the concrete mixer, it is necessary to put a motor
Based on the size of the equipment, as well as the volume of the mixture that it cooks at a time, a choice is made when buying a device. Because sometimes it is necessary that the concrete mixer is not only easily transported, but also placed in cramped conditions.
Finally, there is a technique with additional convenient features. For example, there are units that independently load the raw materials into the drum, and then unload the concrete mixture. Such devices do not require physical labor, facilitating the construction process.
What you will need to make a concrete mixer yourself
Since almost any construction work requires the use of mortar, this technique has a very wide application. For example, concrete mixes are needed when constructing a blind area of a house and pouring screed, making a foundation, and in many other situations. Many have made attempts to knead the solution manually. But this work is very difficult, and it is impossible to guarantee the quality of concrete.
Many craftsmen make concrete mixers with their own hands.
Although the market has a large number of proposals for such equipment, many craftsmen are interested in the question of how to make a concrete mixer. If there is a necessary minimum of tools and certain building skills, then it is possible to implement such a project yourself.
What is necessary for a homemade concrete mixer:
- container for solution
- two bearings
- drive shaft,
- elements for the frame, blades,
- electric motor.
As a reservoir in which the solution will be kneaded, a metal or plastic barrel can be used. Its volume should be from 200 liters. For the drive shaft, an ordinary metal pipe or rod is often chosen, and for different parts of the structure fittings, corners, channels are suitable.
Since the operation of the main power module - the installation electric motor is very important, it is recommended to use a drive motor that will provide a rotation speed of 1500 rpm at a rated power of 2200 watts. It is necessary to take into account such a moment as the speed of rotation of the drive shaft. It should not exceed the mark of 48 revolutions per minute. Therefore, an additional gearbox or appropriate belt drive pulleys will also be needed.
The manufacturing process and assembly of the device
In the bottoms of the barrel it is necessary to make holes in which the shaft will be inserted and through which the tank can be rigidly fixed with bolts. To make a hatch for loading ingredients, a hole is cut out on the side. It can be a rectangle with dimensions 24x30cm.
Scheme for the manufacture of a simple concrete mixer
Soft rubber is glued to the edges of the hatch, and then the hinge cover and the barrel are connected through bolts with hinges. Alternatively, card loops are used. The most important thing is to ensure a tight fit of the manhole cover during operation of the concrete mixer. Fix it with metal corners on the coupling bolts.
When preparing a barrel, a cross is installed inside it. For this, metal corners or channel are used. This element is welded, leaving a gap between the walls of the tank and the structure of at least 10-15 mm. It will help to mix the solution more evenly.
A part is made of metal corners that will help facilitate the process of freeing the barrel from the solution. The design for tipping the concrete mixer is also complemented by a mechanism for transporting the unit.
Since the concrete mixture cannot be stored inside the tank, it is expected that the home-made unit does not exceed a volume of 7-8 liters of the finished solution.
Proportions for the preparation of concrete mix
It is not enough to make a concrete mixer with your own hands, you need to know how to properly prepare a cement mortar.
Homemade concrete mixer through the eyes of a comedian
In order to prepare one cubic meter of concrete, you need 125 liters of water. This is a decisive moment, since excess fluid promises a decrease in the strength of the final product.
In addition to water, sand with grains up to 5 mm is required in an amount of 30-45 percent of the total mass. Another 55-70 percent is gravel. Thus, the ratio of sand to gravel is 1: 1.2. If instead of the last to use gravel, then it will need more: 1: 2.
It is important to consider that high-quality concrete requires the use of clean sand and water. For example, contamination with oils or aggressive substances is excluded. In summer, cold water is used, and in winter - heated to 40 degrees.
Why not with a drill?
With a drill, everything is much simpler:
- The electric drill is not intended for continuous use. The operating mode is alternating-and-continuous 5 minutes of work, after which it is obligatory to have 15 minutes of a break,
- drill gears today are mostly made of plastic, and are designed for a force sufficient to drill holes of no more than 13 mm in concrete, 20 mm in wood or 12 mm in metal, but 70-90 kg of working volume are not intended for mixing,
- It’s not rational to make a concrete mixer with a bowl volume of 5-7 liters.
As experience shows, the creation of any, even the simplest means of mechanization of labor significantly increases productivity and reduces working time.
In fact, a concrete mixer is not the most complicated human invention created from improvised means and does not require a mandatory higher engineering education, a few skills in working with electric welding, and a couple of days of work will allow you to have a working model of the unit, which will make it possible not only to improve the design, but also to correct it identified deficiencies.
DIY homemade concrete mixer. Complete guide
Do-it-yourself concrete mixer from a barrel: drawing (photo and video)
To carry out construction work on a summer cottage, mixing cement is often required, which is necessary when building a foundation, installing a garage, a barn, fencing, and building a house. In order for the solution to turn out to be of high quality, a concrete mixer is required, which is very easy to do with your own hands, which allows you not to waste money on expensive equipment.
Barrel concrete mixer design.
To make a mixer for concrete, it is necessary to prepare some tools and equipment. First of all, a concrete mixer with your own hands is a large container in which mixing of the solution will occur. A plastic barrel or a metal tank, the volume of which can be very different, starting from 5 liters and ending with 200 liters, is perfectly suitable for this. It all depends on what kind of work the mixer is intended for, what volumes will be required.
Next, it is worth choosing materials for the drive shaft, which can be used as a piece of metal fittings, corners, channels. Here, everything also depends on what dimensions the design will have.
For a small mixer, it is enough to have a handle for mixing the mixture, but for the dimensional mixer it is already required to have an electric drive that provides a rotation speed of the mechanism up to 1500 rpm.
Fasteners require bolts, hinges, rubber tape for the loading hatch, a tool for cutting metal, a welding machine.
Thorough mixing of concrete provides a concrete mixer.
Using pre-prepared drawings, assemble the mixer quite quickly. In the end sides of the prepared barrel, you must first make holes through which the shaft will pass. It is here that there will be rigid container mountings that are made with bolts.To load all the components of the mixture, a hatch is cut on the side of the future tank. This is usually a rectangular hole measuring 24 cm by 30 cm.
Such a home-made tank will fully satisfy the needs of small construction - the construction of a fence, the construction of a garage or a barn.
A home-made mixer is assembled according to this scheme:
- after all the holes have been cut, a layer of soft rubber is glued to the edge of the future loading hatch,
- Now the barrel and manhole cover are connected using bolts and hinges, convenient card loops can be used for this. In this case, it must be ensured that such a home-made container has a tight-fitting lid. For fixing, it is best to use metal simple angles that are fastened with tie bolts,
- a cross is placed inside the tank, for which a channel or corner is used. Such a structural element is welded using a welding machine, while a gap with dimensions of 10-15 mm must necessarily remain between the structure and the walls. It is this condition that ensures uniform, high-quality mixing of the mortar (drawings of the future concrete mixer must necessarily take this into account!). From metal corners, you need to make a part that helps clean the walls of the remnants of the solution,
- Further, the mechanism for tipping the tank for emptying and for transportation is installed.
Separately, a motor is put to rotate the tank or a handle for mechanical stirring. The volume of such a unit is usually designed for 7-8 liters of concrete, since the container is not intended for storage, but only for mixing. Of course, if large-scale work is necessary, then a concrete mixer with your own hands must be done, designed for a larger volume.
DIY concrete mixer diagram
Having put your hands on, making a mini-concrete mixer is not as difficult as it seems, but this is not enough if you do not know how to calculate the proportions of the concrete mix. After all, the strength of the cement mixture, its characteristics, and the durability of the future structure depend on how correctly the composition of the mixture is selected.
Many people think that cement is the main component for making an excellent mixture. But this is far from the case; such a component as water is also important. For example, to prepare 1 cube. m of quality concrete, you need to take 125 liters of clean water. But do not assume that the more it is, the better. Excess fluid leads to the fact that the strength of the final product becomes lower, that is, the concrete is very weak in strength.
In addition to liquid, sand is an important ingredient. For this, a material with a grain size of up to 5 mm is suitable; its amount should be about 30-45% of the total mass. Another 55-70% will take gravel. That is, we get a ratio of 1 to 1.2. But it is not necessary to use just gravel, you can take ordinary gravel, although the ratio here will be completely different - 1 to 2.
It is worth considering that a simple mixer for concrete or complex requires the use of only clean components, water and sand should not have any impurities. Oils, aggressive substances, garbage, etc. - all this is simply unacceptable in the composition of high-quality concrete. The temperature of the water used for the solution is also important. In winter, you can only use liquid preheated to 40 degrees, but in summer you need to use cold.
Cement is selected depending on the purpose for which the cement mortar is mixed. Today, manufacturers offer a large selection of such mixtures, many of them are clean, but today cements with special additives in the form of plasticizers are very popular, which give concrete the various required properties.
It is not so difficult to make a concrete mixer for carrying out landscaping or building a house.The main thing is to immediately determine what volume is needed, what type of mixer will be used. It is also important to consider that in order to obtain a high-quality solution, one must correctly select the proportion of all ingredients.
Mechanical concrete mixer - pros and cons
It is quite easy to determine the scope of application of a concrete mixer of our own manufacture. It should be based on personal ability for heavy construction work. Because mixing the mortar in a mechanized 200-liter barrel can be relatively easy, but this cement-gravel mixture still needs to be delivered to its destination, poured into a mold and subjected to vibration compaction (if such is provided for by the technology). The solution that has not been developed during the day will freeze with a shapeless pile, like a monument to your mismanagement.
Another extreme is the attempt to concreting a foundation of 10x20 meters with a homemade mortar. No concrete mixer mechanical can handle such volumes of work, and its owner is even more so. It is more reasonable to order a concrete dump truck with a volume of several cubes and scatter its contents according to a pre-set formwork - this will be optimal both in financial and physical expenses.
The masters of the REMOSKOP.RU site have prepared a special calculator for calculating concrete for you. You can easily calculate the right amount of concrete.
Therefore, a personal concrete mixer is used for such work as erecting a porch with your own hands, creating a screed in one room or when installing piles for a fence. The volume of concreting must match your physical capabilities and the hardware capacity of the device itself.
Concrete mixer - electric or mechanical?
In fact, there is no big difference in the complexity of manufacturing between an electric and a mechanical concrete mixer. Another thing is that the complexity of the electric option is much higher, but it can be used alone. The manual version is necessarily coupled with work together, someone needs to “spin the drum,” as the permanent presenter in one famous show says.
But! A mechanical hand-held concrete mixer can be made mobile, i.e. mobile. It is difficult to pile up the electric version on wheels and drag along the personal plot - it is complex, bulky and needs a more solid frame and chassis. Vibration from the electric motor is also very high. If necessary, it is better to buy an electric mobile concrete mixer in a store than to strive for the laurels of a great designer. Such an aspiration can end with a breakage of the drive belt (at best) or a breakdown of voltage on the metal case (but the consequences of such embarrassment are most dire).
Step 1: Estimated
It is connected not with work on the apparatus, but with the assessment of the metal belongings available on the farm. We will get to the drawings a bit later. The basis of any concrete mixer is a bulky metal container. As such, a barrel of 150-250 liters is best suited, you can used. If the desired barrel is not found in the household, you can look for something similar from neighbors or acquaintances. You can captivate them with the prospect of forgetting about the manual mixing of concrete and take the barrel mutually, with the condition of the subsequent rental of the concrete mixer. Yes, for our barrel, we need a "native" lid, which we weld on the seat.
In addition, you will need to make a supporting frame using a welding rectifier or inverter. To do this, you will need pipes or corners of ferrous metal (the frame will be heavy from the reinforcement) and the welding machine itself. It is quite reasonable to buy it - modern models are inexpensive, operate from household 220 Volts, are mastered relatively easily and significantly facilitate everyday life in the lap of nature.
Step 2: marking and verification
We mark the contours of the frame, based on the dimensions of the barrel - it will be the center of our man-made composition.If the frame base is made up of corners, then the size of their shelves should be at least 50x50 mm. If the pipes - then ordinary water pipes, 25 mm of the outer diameter (well, you can b / y, just not rusty) are well suited. Armature for the frame and handle is needed with a diameter of at least 15 mm, preferably corrugated. A shaft needs thick and smooth reinforcement of large diameter, at least 40 mm.
We test the barrel for tightness and strength. You should tap its walls and find out if there are any rusted areas. If they are found, they will need to be welded with sheet metal from the outside and again checked for leaks. We stock up with two bearings, two door hinges, check the operability of the welding machine and the grinder.
Step 3: welding
In the geometric center of the bottom of the barrel, a hole is made under the shaft. The same hole is drilled in the lid (it is not welded yet!). A flange with a shaft is welded to the center of the bottom, and a bearing is mounted on the outside. It will be more difficult with the lid - a movable flange with blades is welded to it, which will stir the solution during rotation of the handle.
The blades will need at least three, their dimensions should reach the middle of the barrel, but not scrape along its walls. That is, we demonstrate the skill of artistic welding and create an internal iron flower - the flywheel of the concrete mixing process. Side racks of the frame are welded in the shape of the letter A, their size is identical. If the concrete mixer is self-propelled, then the side racks are welded to each other with long reinforcing bars, and metal wheels are attached to the ends of the legs of both letters A - wide and durable.
The bottom is seated on the shaft with a bearing, the cover with blades is inserted into the seat and welded around the perimeter. The second support with a handle retracts and is also mounted on the bearing - the bulk of the work is completed.
Step 4: final
In the side of the barrel, a hole of at least 30x30 cm is cut in the center to load the components of the mortar and unload the finished concrete. The work is performed using a grinder, and carefully - you can not damage the main part of the wall. The cut out part is planted in two loops, with bolt holes being sealed with cement-resistant compounds (silicone sealant, etc.). The narrower the disc of the grinder will be, the better, this will ensure tight coupling of the man-made hatch and the wall. Therefore, the final part of the cuts is performed with a sharp hacksaw for metal.
A long and strong handle is welded to the side of the barrel where the blades are located. To mix standard concrete, it is enough to load sand, gravel, cement and water through the door, close it well, turn the handle 15-20 full revolutions and you can substitute a wheelbarrow for unloading the finished solution.
DIY concrete mixer made! Pour in water “to the eyeballs” to check for leaks and you can knead a test batch of the solution. When your own stages of heavy construction remain in the past, your mechanical assistant will become a sought-after guest among neighbors who are just ahead of the fundamental work.
Rate this article: Share it with your friends!
DIY concrete mixer: Construction technology, photos, video
Concrete is the most popular building material, not one construction site can do without its use. Concrete mortar is used to fill the foundation, floors, basement, and sometimes part of the walls, so the volume of concrete used in the construction of the house is quite significant.
Concrete mixer - one of the most necessary tools for construction
Buying ready-made concrete is not cheap, and due to the independent preparation of the mortar, you can save up to 50% of its cost. Concrete preparation is a rather hard physical work, which can be facilitated with the help of a concrete mixer.It is not necessary to buy it, a self-made concrete mixer will cost several times cheaper, and in terms of functionality and performance it is in no way inferior to purchased units.
Concrete Mixer Construction
A self-made concrete mixer consists of several blocks:
- Tub - a container in which concrete is mixed,
- Drive - a mechanism that rotates buckets,
- The frame on which the bucket and drive are mounted.
When mixing a concrete solution, the gravity method is used, based on the movement of concrete fractions inside the tub under the action of gravity. In other words, during the rotation of the bucket, the components of the concrete mortar mix: the heavier components, such as crushed stone and sand, sink to the bottom, and the mixture of cement and water evenly envelops them. Any mortar can be made in a concrete mixer, from masonry to heavy concrete for pouring the foundation. The ratio of components is determined by calculation.
The tub can be made of sheet iron or a metal barrel with a wall thickness of at least 2 mm. The volume of the tub should be sufficient to mix the required batch of the solution, while an excessive increase in the size of the tub will necessitate the use of a reinforced drive and frame. Usually its volume does not exceed 100-200 liters. The tub is fixed on the axis using bearings, ensuring its unhindered rotation.
An electric or gasoline engine can be used as a drive; a manual drive can also be used to perform the simplest concrete mixer. For the electric drive, you can use the electric motor from the washing machine - it will provide the necessary effort and speed of rotation. A concrete mixer with an electric motor is easy to use, but requires a network connection, which limits its area of use. Gasoline engines from a motorcycle will make the unit universal, a concrete mixer can be used at any construction site.
Concrete mixer motor
The design of the frame depends on the type of drive and bucket configuration. The frame is welded from a corner or metal pipes in the form of a triangular or trapezoidal base, the drive and the axis of rotation are fixed on it. For the convenience of unloading the finished solution, the frame is equipped with a rotary system equipped with a counterweight or a mount to prevent spontaneous tipping.
Types of device
Today in the market of building materials there are many different types of various equipment. Concrete mixers are no exception. There are four main types of this machine. Separate them according to the method by which the mixture is kneaded.
- The first type is gravitational. These are the most common devices that mix components by simply turning them around while the container where they are contained rotates.
- The second type of concrete mixer uses a mechanical method. It is very similar to gravitational, the principle is the same. However, to improve the quality of the final composition in such equipment there are additional cutting elements.
- The third type refers to vibrational. In this case, the concrete mixer will not rotate, but the ingredients will be mixed by using a special vibrator immersed in the mixture.
- The combined type is considered the most universal, since it consists of using two or all three of the above mixing methods at once.
DIY is the easiest way to assemble a concrete mixer if it is of the first type. In this case, a minimum amount of time, effort is required. But, as in any simple version, this has its drawbacks. The quality of the prepared mixture will be satisfactory and not at all higher. In addition, mixing a large amount of solution at once will not work, since the volume is limited by the capacity of the equipment.
However, despite these disadvantages, more and more people are wondering how to make this type of concrete mixer with their own hands. This is justified by the fact that the project is quite cheap, and high quality mortar when working on personal plots is extremely rare.
In order to comfortably use the home-made option, it is necessary to equip a solid and reliable frame. Most often, a welded type support is used as such. As a reservoir, where the components will be filled up and where mixing will take place, you can use a metal can or an ordinary steel barrel.
DIY assembly of a concrete mixer from a barrel is considered the simplest method. Operating the finished structure is also quite simple. Ingredients are poured through the door, after which it closes tightly, and with the help of a handle or lever, the barrel rotates. When the solution has reached the desired consistency, the tank is tipped with the door down, after which it is opened.
Mechanical type of equipment
How to make a concrete mixer do-it-yourself mechanical type? In fact, outwardly, these two devices are practically no different from each other. All the main difference that exists between them lies inside their design. The guiding and dissecting blades, which are welded to the inside of the tank, became such a structural difference. During the overturning of the components, they will be guided by these blades, and for better mixing, be divided into several parts by sharp parts.
Due to this slight difference in the device, there is a big difference in the quality of the final product. In addition, the presence of such blades allows you to tilt the equipment at an angle, and not just put it horizontally, as happens with gravitational ones. And this means that the volume of the tank will be used in full. Another plus is the lack of the need for an airtight lid for the concrete mixer.
How to make a concrete mixer from a barrel with your own hands? To assemble this type of equipment, you can use the same steel barrel. However, it will be necessary to weld several guide vanes to the inner walls of the tank, which should be located at an angle of 30-35 degrees. The height of these elements should be equal to a quarter of the total height of the tank. If a shaft is installed inside the barrel, then the blades can be attached to it.
If a suitable barrel or other container is not available, then you can make a working element yourself. In this case, the assembly of a do-it-yourself concrete mixer with your own hands will begin from this stage. It is necessary to acquire a piece of pipe made of thin-walled steel. The thickness should be between 2.5 and 3.5 mm. The diameter of the pipe should not be less than 800 mm, and the length of the segment should be at least 1 meter.
Next, you need to brew one side using a steel circle. On the other hand, from 4 to 6 triangular segments are cut, which are bent from the edge of the pipe to the middle. After that, all the elements are welded together. The result should be some kind of punching bag. When these works are completed, you can begin to weld the blades from the inside of the home-made tank. Further, it is worth noting that you can assemble a hand-held concrete mixer with your own hands, or you can weld a steel circle to the outside of the bottom of the pipe, which will be the axis for the future drive pulley.
Some use steel corners as a mount, but this is not always good. The steel axis is different in that it weighs less and is also less prone to bending than a corner.
Next, we can proceed to consider the assembly of the frame.It’s worth mentioning right away that it is worth providing a place to place the rollers on which the working capacity will be mounted, as well as a place where the electric motor will be installed if the concrete mixer is not of a manual type. The frame design itself is quite simple and consists of two parts. The first part is the support, on which the whole structure will be held. The second part is the rotary, on which the tank will be installed. To connect the two parts of the frame, short shafts are most often used, which are fixed in bearings or bushings. One of the shafts must be equipped with a handle for adjusting the angle of inclination of the upper part of the frame, and with it the rotary part of the device.
Vibration type equipment
Today, it is these models that occupy a leading position in terms of operation at enterprises. This is due to the fact that this method of mixing the components provides the best concrete quality in the end. No matter how strange it may sound, it is this type of construction that is considered the simplest among the others, and therefore it is quite possible to assemble it with your own hands.
There are several things to keep in mind when assembling. Firstly, to use here as a tub you need round containers. Since the structure itself will be stationary, some install rectangular tanks, but this is best not done. Besides the fact that the container should be round, its radius should not be too large. Narrow but tall tubs should be preferred.
Structurally, this type of equipment looks like this. The fixed-type tank is fixed in an upright position. At the top, download all the necessary components. After that, the right amount of water is added, and after that the vibrator is placed and turned on strictly in the center. It is important to note that the bottom of the bucket itself serves as a window for unloading, which means that there should be an opening door, but at the same time airtight when closed.
What is needed for assembly
The most problematic part of all the work is that an immersion vibrator is needed here. If it is available or there is an opportunity to purchase it, then the rest will not be difficult. The design does not have moving parts, you do not have to deal with the operation and connection of the electric motor and mixer or gearbox.
You can make a concrete mixer with your own hands from the washing machine, more precisely, take a drum out of it as a working container. All unnecessary openings are closed, and the lower part is removed. Next, you need to take care of the manufacture of a truncated cone. The larger diameter should be equal to the diameter of the barrel, and a smaller opening is welded, opening the gate. The gate must have a handle with which it can be opened. To do this, you can use steel corners to connect the two parts. However, you can buy a finished part. When the whole structure is ready, it can be welded to the tank.
After that, the tank is mounted on a support frame. This is best done at an angle or serve the ingredients with a short trough. It is important to remember that unloading will be carried out through the bottom, which means that the height should be such that the selected container is placed below.
Forced Concrete Mixer
With your own hands you can build such an aggregate. The device of this device consists of such parts as an electric motor, a capacity for the required amount of solution, gearbox, blades, shaft, drive, frame. It is worth noting that you still have to spend money on the purchase of certain equipment, but it will still be cheaper than buying a ready-made version.
So, in order to assemble a forced-type concrete mixer from these elements with your own hands, you will need to have at hand tools such as a welding machine, a grinder and an electric drill.As a reservoir, you can use a barrel, as in the previous versions, however, it is important to note here that the volume should be 200 liters. If the container is larger, then with the help of a grinder, you need to cut off the excess parts. The design itself consists of a frame that must support not only the weight of the tank, but also the components. If the tank is 200 liters, then the frame should withstand about 600 kg. In such cases, you can use a large corner or channel for assembly. The installation of the drive and the electric motor is carried out in a similar way with other concrete mixers.
What makes homemade models good?
Naturally, the main advantage is the price. However, it is worth clarifying. This will be convenient only for those who are often involved in construction or repair work. Otherwise, it is better to rent factory models than to assemble a home-made option. In addition, it is not a fact that when assembling the first time everything will go smoothly, and the quality of concrete will be optimal, you may have to redo it several times.